flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SIX
MFG: Fox Mind
#of Players: 2 or 4
Age Range: 7+
Overall Construction:
This is probably the most simplistically made game I have see in a long time. It has a nice sturdy square box. The rules are glued to the bottom of the box which is good and bad at the same time because of wear. But even better the pieces come in a bag inside the box. As far as the pieces you have to sets of hexagon shaped wooden pieces, half red & half black. These wooden pieces are thick and solid. You don't have to worry about them falling off the table or getting damaged.

Gameplay:
The game play is very simple. You take turns placing a hex of your color in an attempt to connect 6 of your hex's. Your connected pieces can be in a straight line, in a pyramid shape, or encircling an opponents piece. You have to be clever when doing this but not too clever. Like Tic-Tac-Toe, Checkers, or Chess you have to use a high level of strategy. I found it easier to not think too much while playing.

Yes/No Recommend:
I definitely recommend it. We were able to play this in resturants, bars, & our local game store. So even though the pieces are red & black they are big enough to be visible in low light. Play this anywhere you can find a flat surface. We also found that due to over thinking of high strategy players it's possible for people that don't even like checkers to beat them. Fox Mind is also the game company that made “Rise or Fall: Battle of the Cliques” and they now have the license to Abalone both of which are great games.

Where To Get It: As usual Six can be purchased at Fox Mind's website at http://foxmind.com/games/six . If you do not like to go online to buy a copy of this game they have a Store Locator to tell you where a store to buy it at. And you can also check your favorite game store and ask if they will order it in for you. I know mine would.

Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Rosenau
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GameGumshoes wrote:
Like Tic-Tac-Toe, Checkers, or Chess you have to use a high level of strategy.

Still pondering that sentence...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Far deeper than noughts and crosses, not sure about the bigger or smaller space than draughts, but being forced to play for position in two different games is fascinating, and smaller space and far more symmetric than Chess. I'd say I prefer go/hex (and this) etc to Chess for this reason.

This review appears to be missing a reference to the second half of the game that starts once all pieces are played. I'd encourage owners of the Foxmind version to check my rules comments based on the German version.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
See link above this is the new 2012 version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nello wrote:

I'm unaware of the differences between Foxmind versions, since I only own Steffen-Spiele editions. Could you tell me what they are? I recall Steffen mentioning that Foxmind had removed capturing in the second phase to make the game friendlier.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
nello wrote:

I'm unaware of the differences between Foxmind versions, since I only own Steffen-Spiele editions. Could you tell me what they are? I recall Steffen mentioning that Foxmind had removed capturing in the second phase to make the game friendlier.

B>

--
hi Bruce how you doing?
I do not know, i am just a seller and i did not receive the shipment yet, I played the game once years ago.
Please Contact foxmind Canada

Nello :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I thought from your response that you had some specific information about changes in the game that conflicted with my comments.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://brascogames.webs.com/six.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
Zickzack wrote:
GameGumshoes wrote:
Like Tic-Tac-Toe, Checkers, or Chess you have to use a high level of strategy.

Still pondering that sentence...

GameGumshoes wrote:
...you have to use a high level of strategy. I found it easier to not think too much while playing.

This is hilarious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.