Subject: Die Macher worth $130? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Best
United States
Brandon
FL
flag msg tools
All, I noticed Boards & Bits has Die Macher in stock for $129.99, is this considered a good price for this game?

Thanks,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it can be had cheaper than that. Not alot cheaper mind you, but I'd say $99 or so. It's amazing that Playme.de had these for 19.99 Euros (or something like that) just 8 months ago!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, is that guy in your avatar drinking alcohol that is on fire? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
This is siginificantly more than it has sold for here in the Marketplace, even for new copies. I'd say that $130 is quite high, and that you should be able to find a copy for less if you are patient, or if you are willing to order from Germany. Of course, it is easier for me to say this because I already own a copy of the game. But the game is not that rare that you shouldn't be able to find a copy for a more reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so, since mine is in the shrink still. I'm not sure how much longer I can resist though.

I think that the price of Die Macher is going to keep going up, so even if you overpay now, it'll still be worth more in a year or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 7 copies on http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam..., all under 35euros so far, and a few that have rates to the US. Keep looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed - feel free to sell yours. My copy is not in shrink, but is otherwise untouched. And I get the feeling if either of us get to play it anytime soon, we'll both be at the table. And if not, you can borrow my copy any time.

And I got my copy for $30 as part of a larger order from Germany earlier this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Board and Bits will frequently offer items not readily available via eBay or the Marketplace. They will always charge a bit more than what you'll pay if you waited for it to come available via other means.

I shop their often as I'm impatient, and its typically a question of $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked around for about a month for my copy. I finally settled on buying two copies from Belgium. When shipping was factored in, I wound up paying about $100 each for copies still in shrink. I think if you devote a large amount of time (and get a little lucky), you could find one for less. For me, it was worth an extra bit of cash to have the process over with and get it in my hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd chime in

It's getting harder and harder to find copies of Die Macher that are new and in great condition. Since we don't have time to buy a copy here and a copy there at lower prices (but factoring in time and shipping, etc., lower is questionable), we buy from our main sources so we can be confident that the games are as advertised.

It costs us a little more, so we put the price at a level we think everyone can live with. Otherwise it's not worth us buying the game at all.

So the price may be high compared to ebay or buying from Germany, but you know what you're getting and where you're getting it, and that 99.9% of the time it'll arrive on time and in perfect condition.

And if you factor in your time to save $10-$30, it may be worth it to just grab a copy.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Peters
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
Powers:Coleridge:Milton: Faith...must be, if anything, a clear-eyed recognition of the patterns and tendencies, to be found in every piece of the world's fabric, which are the lineaments of God.
badge
That's Tim Powers' fictional Samuel Coleridge "quoting" John Milton in _The Anubis Gates_.
mbmbmbmbmb
McCrank wrote:
is this considered a good price for this game?

Well, given that it's no longer in stock, I guess someone found the price sufficiently compelling!

For my part, price is only part of the equation: if I order from Tom, I have complete confidence that I will receive the game, and it will come in at least as good condition as he describes exactly two days from when he claims he's going to send it. If I order from somewhere else, my certainty is reduced - down to the extreme of buying on ebay.de, having the vendor employ uninsured slow freight, and being happy if I receive the game wrapped in brown paper eight to twelve weeks after the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a hard enough time getting rid of games I don't like, much less games that I do like! Of course I did trade Hannibal for Die Macher plus some other stuff.

AnakinOU wrote:
Ed - feel free to sell yours. My copy is not in shrink, but is otherwise untouched. And I get the feeling if either of us get to play it anytime soon, we'll both be at the table. And if not, you can borrow my copy any time.

And I got my copy for $30 as part of a larger order from Germany earlier this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Die Macher arrived last week from a German online shop. It only took 2 weeks to arrive but it was a bit harrowing as there was no track and trace on the shipment. I ordered from Germany because I don't live in the US and it was the only place I could find it.

Basically you need to figure out if the risk of a duff deal from Germany and the additional time it may take to arrange ordering it is worth the extra price you pay for Tom's service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Rawles
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I'd pay $130 from Tom for a new copy of Die Macher (latest edition). Unfortunately, I must have the worst luck. Every time I go to Tom's site, the cupboard is bare.

Still hoping to find a copy of this darn game. Played it once and it haunted my dreams for weeks....

Would love to hear about the names/links of online German shops from which people have successfully purchased the game (not sure if this violates BGG policies). I have been searching and searching, without much luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.