Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A family tradition of mine, going back to 1990, is to watch time travel movies on New Year's Eve. I've seen the best and worst of them, I hope.
However, after over 20 years of it, they're getting harder and harder to find, and I've had to stretch the definition of the genre. The next installment will be December 31st, 2011 of course, and I'm kicking around some ideas for this year. Can you recommend any that I should consider?

Here's a list of the ones I remember seeing:

12 Monkeys (1995)
2009: Lost Memories (2002)
The Back to the Future Trilogy (1985-1990) (how I rang in Y2K)
Being Human (1993)
Bicentennial Man (1999)
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)
Blackadder Back and Forth (1999)
The Butterfly Effect (2004)
Clockstoppers (2002)
Deja Vu (2006)
The Final Countdown (1980)
Forever Young (1992)
Frequency (2000)
The Grand Tour: Disaster in Time (1992)
Groundhog Day (1992)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
Idaho Transfer (1973)
It Happened Tomorrow (1944)
Journey to the Center of Time (1967)
Just Visiting (2001)
Kate & Leopold (2001)
Lancelot, Guardian of Time (1997)
Lost in Space (1998)
My Science Project (1985)
Norman's Awesome Experience (1988)
Paycheck (2004)
Peggy Sue Got Married (1986)
The Philadelphia Experiment (1984)
The Philadelphia Experiment II (1993)
Returner (2002)
Run Lola Run (1999)
Slipstream (2005)
A Sound of Thunder (2005)
Star Trek IV (1986)
Star Trek: Generations (1994)
Star Trek: First Contact (1997)
The Terminator (1984)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
Time After Time (1979)
Time Bandits (1981)
Time Changer (2002)
Timeline (2003)
The Time Machine (1960)
The Time Machine (2002)
Time Trackers (1989)
Trancers (1985)

Ones I'm considering:

12:01 PM (????)
Berkeley Square (1933)
Brother Future (1991)
Cavegirl (1985)
Freejack (1992)
Happy Accidents (2000)
The House in the Square (1951)
The Jacket (2005)
Johnny and the Bomb (2006)
The Love Letter (1998)
Men In Black 3 (2012)
The Navigator (????)
Next (2007)
Primer (2004)
Retroactive (1997)
Somewhere In Time (1980)
Timecop (1994)
Timemaster (1995)
Timequest (2000)
The Time Shifters (1999)
The Time Travelers (1964)
The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)
Time Travelers (1976)
Turn Back the Clock (1933)
Waxwork II: Lost in Time (1992)

I'm not looking for TV series. We need something that stands alone and is watchable in its entirety in less than four hours. As much as I like Quantum Leap, Time Tunnel, and Day Break, they take too long for one evening. I will grant an exception to anthology series like The Twilight Zone, as long as somebody has put together time travel related episodes together into a set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can I recommend Biggles:Adventures in Time.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090729/

Its terribly cheesey but has time traveling, both from the present to the past and from the past to the present (Well 1986 when it was made). Its Peter Cushing's last role, and you get to see Biggles fly a helicopter. What more can you ask for?

Its also responsible for giving me my lifetime dream of living in Tower Bridge - even though its not possible. On a historical perspective in the film you can see what the south bank of the Thames looked like before the London Eye and all the gardens were built. (Actually quite horrible.)

I recommend Timecop from your list of possibles. I think its really enjoyable - good science fiction - so good that I recognised entire scenes in it that had beeen stolen for use in Minority Report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peggy Sue stands the test of time. Very good movie, before Nicolas Cage started playing the same damn role in every movie.

12 Monkeys is an amazing movie, but I'm a Gilliam fan to begin with. (Other Gilliam-like movies that I think improve on his already twisted style, by Pierre Jeunet and in French: "Delicatessen" (the best), "City of Lost Children", "Amelie".)

Timecop is good cheese.

I was forced to watch Kate & Leopold... yeesh. It's so universally horrible, insulting even by the low standards of your typical romantic comedy, that it forms a sinkhole of its own mediocrity. (Of course now that I've trash-talked it this much, you'll say it's not that bad...)

One you've forgotten -- a piece of chick-flick mediocrity from 1980 or so, with Christopher Reeve: "Somewhere in Time". If I remember right, he's a failed playwright who sees an old photograph of a woman circa 1912, and becomes so obsessed with her that he travels back to that year almost by sheer force of will, or at least chanting "1912" over and over again. Bad results end up happening, though.

Others to consider -- I notice several in your list that aren't about time travel per se, but play around with time in the narrative. In that spirit, I offer these:

The Limey
Out of Sight (Soderbergh does love playing around with stuff like this)
Pulp Fiction
A Very Long Engagement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about: Demolition Man
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106697/
or Lost Highway
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116922/
From those you are considering I like especially
Freejack & Retroactive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definately try 12 Monkeys. One of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not by any stretch a masterpiece but Freejack has an decent cast highlighted by Mick Jagger as chief-evil-henchman. I enjoy it for the camp value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twelve Monkeys is very good. Another one to consider is Primer:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/

I've seen Primer. Not sure I *got* Primer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.. You could also get Quantum Leap on dvd, but thats a tv series.

Also, the weird machine in Galaxy Quest allows people to travel in time 15 seconds or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nalani Mixon
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Somewhere in Time
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081534/

I remember this from my childhood, my mom loved it, and cried everytime she watched it.

and this one my dad loved
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069280/

I haven't seen either of these movies since I was a youngster, so I can't really offer an opinion.

Of course you could always go to Internet Movie Database and search to your hearts content, I always love doing that , and they also offer user reviews so you have an idea of what you are getting into.

hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuppa Jack
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
The best time-travel film from the past few years is missing from your list!
Primer:

A fantastic, ultra-low budget indie film that treats time travel very smartly. You'll want to watch it 2 or 3 times straight through.

Amazing what the writer/director was able to pull off with NO money.

12 Monkeys is another great choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so far. Feedback is helpful.

Of course, until the day comes when I bite the bullet and actually get a Netflix account, I'll still be hunting for these the brick-and-mortar way, which makes availability an issue.

Let's see...

Biggles: That sounds cool, with a bit of a humor twist to it. Nice.

12 Monkeys: I'm hesitant here. Gilliam's films either inspire intense whimsey or intense disgust. I loved Time Bandits, but couldn't stand Fear and Loathing. I guess it depends on 'trippy-ness' factor. How does 12 Monkeys do in the this department?

Timecop: This one has a very creative idea behind it, a future where time travel isn't just a freak accident or scientist's mad scheme, but a pedestrian event that is regulated. However, it sounds like Timecop suffers from having a good idea followed by bad execution, and I've heard it described as even more testosterone-laced than the Terminator flicks.

Somewhere in Time: Sounds interesting, and might be easy to find. Thanks for the tip-off.

Demolition Man and Lost Highway are quite far removed from time travel, time manipulation or historical musings. Maybe interesting for other nights, but IMO not close enough for New Year's.

A Sound of Thunder has been loathed left and right, but I might see it anyway, as a second-generation Bradbury fan. Is it really that bad? I hope not, because the short story is one of those quintessential time travel literary pieces.

The Jacket: Has anyone seen this? How edgy is it?

Maybe once the movie supply has been exhausted, I might switch over to New Year's Eve UberChrononauts sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cerulean wrote:

Timecop: This one has a very creative idea behind it, a future where time travel isn't just a freak accident or scientist's mad scheme, but a pedestrian event that is regulated. However, it sounds like Timecop suffers from having a good idea followed by bad execution, and I've heard it described as even more testosterone-laced than the Terminator flicks.

That's all Van Damme films isn't it?

I have thought of another one - how about Donnie Darko - its all about time travel. (Actually it depends on how you read the events of the film - could be time travel, could be something quite different.)

If you can cope with French films try Les Visiteurs. A French knight and his vassel travel through time to the present day - its a comedy with Jean Reno. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108500/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is The Past is Now, released in 2037.

Oops. What year is this?

You didn't read anything. [whistles innocently]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen Memento and Run Lola Run (Lola Rennt, auf Duetsch). Both are excellent films about our actions and the consequences that follow. Both films are presented in a manner that illustrates cause and effect in bizarre ways.

I'm going to guess here that Donnie Darko uses time travel in the psychological sense rather than the scientific sense, much like Peggy Sue or Butterfly Effect, eh?

I believe Les Visiteurs is the original French film remade into Just Visiting.

Army of Darkness doesn't count as time travel. Ash may be a modern 20th century man, but he's not going into an actual past, just a fantasy world.

I've seen several film variations of Connecticut Yankee, usually involving kids or urbanites. I'd like to see one that colsely follows the Twain novel. Which one(s) do a good job of that?

Ah, Slaughterhouse 5. I dig Vonnegut, but I'm skeptical of how well it would work on screen. I know there's a film version of Mother Night out there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annick Jean
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verive wrote:
The best time-travel film from the past few years is missing from your list!
Primer:

Cool - I watched this one about a month ago and was vainly trying to remember the title!

I can't belileve what they did with the budget they had. Just amazing.

This film also had my cogs churning quite a while, very interesting treatment of time travel. It went into a lot of the interpersonal tension between the inventors and the potential physical and emotional hazards that shooting yourself back and forth through time might have. It takes it toll in ways never really explored before.

I also liked that it was very down-to-earth and 'realist' - not like H.G. Well's vision of fast forwarding yourself to the very end of the world.

Highly highly recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go with Donnie Darko, do not go with the Director's Cut. It restores a lot of cut scenes that were better on the editing room floor. Seriously, the restored scenes change the movie for the worse in many ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
12 Monkeys is a bit trippy, but not in a bad way. It was the movie that made me believe that Bard Pitt was a better actor than I gave him credit for, and it can really mess with your head. It's a FABULOUS movie, and one that I watch about once a year. There are levels and levels to the movie, but I think that's fairly typical of a Gilliam film.

I can't think of any other time travel movies that stand out in my mind, but I know there have to be more. Even the movies with a tenuous time-travel connection are many, and I know I've enjoyed a lot of them.

Now, BOOKS I can recommend! I would like to see movies made of Connie Willis' Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog.

On second thought, maybe I don't. Hollywood would just screw them up. :\
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not really a good movie, but I had a lot of fun
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077278/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Try "The Navigator" a New Zealand film made by Vincent Ward (Alien III).
It's about a group of medieval serfs following a boy as he tunnels into the Earth and comes out in the 20th century. Very strange and allegorical, but interesting nonetheless.

I completely forgot about Primer! Gotta get that one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nalani Mixon
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second The Navigator, can't believe i forgot that

oh and if you wouldn't mind traveling through dimensions instead of time there is always Buckaroo Bonsai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Millennium?

Plot Summary for
Millennium (1989)

An investigator seeking the cause of an airline disaster discovers the involvement of an organisation of time travellers from a future Earth irreparably polluted who seek to rejuvenate the human race from those about to die in the past. Based on a novel by John Varley. Cheryl Ladd and Kris Kristofferson starred.

It was kind of cheesy, but a better movie than you might think. The special effects are pre-CGI, but still not bad for their time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in the first christopher reeve superman film there is a key time travel sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take time from a subjective standpoint, such as with Memento, then Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was the Stephen King Mini Series, "The Langoliers". Maybe not Time Travel, but definately a nice take on the theory of what Time is.

Also an old made for TV movie that I enjoyed as a kid was "The Girl the Gold Watch and Everything" (and I didnt even get to see Pam Dawber naked at that age). It also didnt have Time travel per say, but involved the manipulation of time. It wasnt a bad movie.

My favorites would be:

The original Time Machine
The Back to the Futury Trilogy (One of the most clever takes on time travel ever!)
Terminator Series (Why do you not want to see these?? Terminator was great, T2 was awesome! Even T3 wasn't bad.)

Edit: Spellcheck is your friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Donnie Darko

Slaughterhouse Five

Time Bandits

Planet of the Apes

off topic, because it is not a movie...

read The Fermata by Nicholson Baker.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0679759336/?tag=article-boa...

..and another book. Einsteins Dreams:

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/people/home/idris/Stories/Einsteins...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.