Popular Tags: [View All]
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a simple question but here goes. How do you present a wargame to newcomers?? I love playing wargames solitaire. It's like reading a book and is very relaxing. I do enjoy the interaction of others and play many games of the Euro sort Fantasy Flight and Gamemaster series with my group of friends. I really enjoy the wargames and everyone seems interested but whenever I introduce any hex and counter games they get turned off within an hour. It is strange too because the game play does seem conflicted with two people. A solitaire game is a calmer experience for me. I think the long turn orders turns them off. One friend said the experience is to gigantic and it's difficult to figure out how to make any stategies. I think a lot of it is my fault, as though I'm presenting a game that takes patients to an ADD world. Would you grognards agree? Is the Wargaming hobby a more patient experience? To me playing Empire in Arms in a month sounds like a blast but to others I think they have to finish a game in a day. How do you help others understand the experience? How fluid are your personal game turns with others? lots of questions I guess, but I really feel others can really get into this hobby if one presents it the right way. any info would be great!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What titles have you tried to play with your friends?

There are many games that have no downtime, and then there are some Igo-Ugo games where a player could easily take an hour or more to do their move.

Pick a highly-interactive game and you might solve your problem. Have you tried the free game from MMP? I think it's very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
Have you tried the free game from MMP? I think it's very good.

Target Arnhem Across Six Bridges, available here... free plus shipping:

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/OtherGames/prodta.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nathan hayden
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I haven't been seeking out introductory games, more medium level games. Right now I'm about to show them Against the Odds Fortress Berlin. I think the die cuts will are great and it's easier to recognize tanks from infantry for newbies. The theme I know is of interest to my group. I do really enjoy the multiman site and visit it often but am holding back from any purchasing until I know where my friends stand. I've been eyeing Guadalajara. I don't think they have troubles understanding the rules. They're have difficulty keeping a solid strategy with so many things to have to do during a turn order. such is war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Try perhaps non war wargames. By that I mean things like Fury of Dracula that have a lot of the traits one finds in a wargame but with a different theme. That way you get the complexity and strategy of a wargame but a theme that your friends might enjoy better. Other suggestions of this type are games like Revolution or Princes of the Renaissance.

Alternatively you might try wargames that don't have the classic hex map (hex maps turn some folks off) and play without a ton of chrome rules. Britannia or Fortress America (If you have access to a copy) are great wargames without the traditional hex look and very little chrome but still have that wargame feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
You might have better results with tactical games, as those are sometimes easier for a new player to understand.

For example, when you say "This is a tank... this is a farmhouse..." that's very easy to visualize. But if you say "This is a map of Russia... this is the First Guards Tank Army..." people who haven't played wargames before will have difficulty comprehending what all that means.

I've actually had much more success introducing people to ASL than to any other easier – but non-tactical – game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried PBEM or via the web? It appears to me that this seems to be the new domain of wargamers. It used to be a REAL pain to do play by mail, but now there are two free tools that make it very easy.

I use both Cyberboard and Vassal for PBEM. They handle the die rolls. And if the game is not perfect for PBEM, no problem. Nothing says that you can't send 20 emails per turn. Email makes this pratical. I am playing one (Third Reich) which we do our turns via email, use chat to clear up any rule questions.

Plus, these tools are great for solitare play also. I don't have the table space to have three or four games set up. Plus there is a ton of gamers using these now.

I now have two gaming outlets, Eurogames face to face and wargames via email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I would start simple. If you put a newbie in front of a complex game, it may turn them off quickly.

Two titles that work really well are: Battlecry and Memoir 44. I can't think of two finer wargames to introduce someone into the hobby with.

Also, jl4130 suggestion to use Columbia Games block games is spot on. Easy to learn, and beautifull to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, I had the same problem last weekend, trying to teach two friends how to play War of the Ring. I miscalculated how big the step between even La Citta and complex games is for not too experienced gamers.

A problem of 'heavy' games is mostly that there are a lot of options which adds complexity to the rules. So keeping rules and options limited is important for first time players.

Probably you could even get them through an easy ASL scenario in 1-2 hours as well as long as you keep the number (and types) of units and rules to a minimum. So it's not really a matter of the intrinsic complexity of the game, but of the way you hand it to them.

From the Columbia block games, Quebec 1759 is a good one to start with, (most others are far too complicated for an introduction). The number of areas, units and rules are limited, playtime is about 1.5 hours and the players have few options.

Battle Cry and Memoir 44 will probably do fine.

cheers & happy gaming
Jur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
castiglione
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
Start with a really simple wargame.

Lou Coatney has a bunch of free wargames on WWII on his web-site. They are fairly simple and take about an hour or so to play.

The disadvantage, though, is their lack of colour (counters and maps are black and white and hand-drawn although some fans of his games have made very nice colour version of some of the maps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.