Subject: Can this game be won? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garth Wallace
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
If the object is to deprive your opponent of pieces, is it possible to win this in any way other than your opponent committing "suicide"?

Capture is by displacement, as in FIDE chess, correct? If so, then capturing an opponent's piece means moving one of your own pieces from your side of the board to your opponent's side. Since any piece moved to the opponent's side becomes the opponent's piece, it is not possible to deliberately reduce your opponent's army—only your own!

In fact, it seems to be the case that any move other than a passive move within one's own territory is a bad one. A capture decreases the size of your own army by one while leaving your opponent's army the same size, and a passive move to enemy territory decreases your own army while expanding your opponent's army! Like global thermonuclear war, it seems the only way to win is not to play.

It might be interesting with mandatory captures, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... Well, I'm not a chess expert, but I have played a lot of Martian Chess (I guess it is more accurate to say, I've lost a lot of Martian Chess). That game is capture by displacement, as well, and I know it can certainly win. I can't say for sure with Monochrome Chess, but I know the creator probably wouldn't play a game he couldn't win.

You could try playing Martian Chess against the creator on SuperDuperGames:

http://superdupergames.org/main.html?page=listgames#mchess

And you could find out that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Macbride
Australia
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwalla wrote:
Since any piece moved to the opponent's side becomes the opponent's piece, it is not possible to deliberately reduce your opponent's army—only your own!
... A capture decreases the size of your own army by one while leaving your opponent's army the same size

But none of that is necessarily a bad thing. Didn't anyone ever tell you that size isn't everything?

The purpose of the game is to capture pieces. Your opponent having more pieces is not necessarily a better thing for them. If you manage to capture a higher value piece with a lower value piece, you've both scored points for yourself and weakened their army.

If you can get far enough ahead, you can afford to take less optimal moves (including just moving pieces over to the opponent's side of the board) in order to end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.