Subject: Solo Play Rules Brainstorming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
There has been a lot of discussion on the kickstarter forum about the possibility of solo play. Brotherwise Games expressed that they would like to add a solo option to the game, but they are already devoting all of their free time and resources towards producing the base game and managing the kickstarter campaign. So, for all the backers that are interested in a solo play variant I would like to start brainstorming a way to add solo play. I’ll add a disclaimer that I don’t have a copy of the game and can’t playtest any ideas, but I’m hoping that we can establish a framework for people with the game to try out. Ideally we could develop a set of rules that BWG could include in the rules manual with the first printing.

Overview of Solo Play
Most of the games that I have played solo are co-op games. These are easy to do solo because you can just control multiple players without modifying any rules to introduce AI for the other players. Outside of co-op games, solo games that I have experienced generally follow two approaches: 1) Have a “dummy” player (or multiple players) that follow a preset AI mechanic, or 2) Play an individual game with harder rules where you are trying to hit a certain benchmark. The game that comes to mind for the second option is Agricola, which I thoroughly enjoyed playing solo.

There are a few rules that I think a solo variant needs to follow. First, the game shouldn’t require any components that aren’t in the base game. If you have to introduce new tokens to make the game work, you’re deviating too far from the original. Second, the core mechanic of the game shouldn’t change. The goal of Boss Monster solo play should still be about expanding your dungeon, developing room synergies, and luring heroes. Lastly, the fewer rule changes the better. This is similar to the second point, but if you can’t summarize the rule changes in one or two paragraphs, you’re trying too hard.

All that said, here are a few concepts I’ve come up with. Feel free to add your thoughts, either positive or negative (but hopefully civil).

Concept 1 – Dummy Players
The best way to preserve the bidding mechanic is to have other people to bid against. This approach would be the easiest to implement because cards that target opponents would still have value.
The regular rules and setup would be followed with the following changes:

You would have one or two dummy players that play rooms at random. When they would build a room, flip over the top room card and add it to their dungeon. The exception would be if they draw an advanced room and don’t have the prerequisites to play it. In this case they would discard the card and draw until they could play a card.

The dummy players are obviously disadvantaged because they can’t play spell cards or thoughtfully craft their dungeon. To balance this out and simplify gameplay, the dummy players would automatically defeat any hero that enters their dungeon. Also, the dummy player’s dungeon could be expanded beyond 5 rooms. They would still level up at 5 rooms, but they could keep playing cards to increase their treasures.

Concept 2 – Solo Play: Harder to Lure Monsters
The game would be setup like a 2 player game. You might also replace some ordinary heroes with epic heroes to make it harder. You would be racing against the deck, trying to get enough souls before it runs out of heroes.

On each turn you would reveal 2 heroes in town. Any heroes that were already in town would be shifted down to a new row below the new heroes (call it the “outskirts of town”). Any heroes that were already in the outskirts would be removed from the game. So, you have 2 turns to try to lure each hero before they leave town forever.

There wouldn’t be any other players to bid against, so we need to increase the requirement to lure heroes. Two possible solutions are to (a) require 2 of the necessary treasure to lure an ordinary hero and 4 to lure an epic hero, or (b) require 1 plus the number of heroes you have already defeated of that category. So, the first fighter would lure at 1 sword, second fighter at 2 swords, etc.

The game could be played to 10 souls, but it could really be to whatever number you want. This is probably the most flexible approach in that respect. A new player might play to 10, but en experienced player might play to 14. One inherent problem with this sort of approach is that cards that target opponents (like Robobo) are less useful. I would be inclined to just discard any room or spell cards that only target opponents and draw a new card.

Concept 3 – Solo Play: Harder to Kill Monsters

This game would basically ignore the bidding mechanic and would be all about building an efficient killing machine of a dungeon. The game would be setup with 9 ordinary heroes and 1 epic hero.

Each turn you would reveal one hero. As long as you had at least one of the necessary treasures, the hero would be lured to your dungeon. If you don’t have that type of treasure at the end of the turn, the hero leaves town. The main difference is that the health of the heroes increase by one each turn. So on the second turn the hero has +1 health, on the 9th turn the last ordinary hero has +8 health, and on the 10th (last) turn you fight the “boss hero,” an epic hero with +9 health.

You’d play to 10 souls, so you could afford to let 1 hero leave town or get through your dungeon, but you have to kill the boss hero. I really think this would appeal to people that play tower defense games or really like to optimize the engine that is their dungeon. Similar to concept 2, cards that only target opponents would be discarded and redrawn.

So there are a few ideas to get the conversation started. If anyone has a deck to playtest these ideas, please do so and post your feedback. Which of these ideas do you like best? Do you have any other ideas to add?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan McIsaac
New Zealand
Te Aroha
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Path of Exile fan - Exalted OrbMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Rifts® The Role-playing Game fanMicrobadge: He's no good to me dead.
I like the sound of Concept 3 it would give me a sense of achievement if I actually killed the Epic hero with his +8 life...

I only recently joined the kick starter and that was only due to seeing your comment about starting a SOLO thread. I'll be watching this thread closely...

Great start lets see where this leads us.

They could easily do a single pack add on for the core rules that adds some flavour to the solo players games. eg for each card that was from the main core set that targeted another player have a special card made to replace it for a solo game. that way only those who want to play solo would buy the packs. it wouldn't be to many cards maybe 6 or 7 extra cards just to replace those that would not be useful in solo games. just a random thought the cost involved may not be worth the hassle..shrug

Cheers
Mr Boogers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Boss Monster fanMicrobadge: Adam Poots Games "Kingdom Death: Monster" Contest participantMicrobadge: 2012 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Copper Session Reporter
Your concept 3 is similar to what I thought.
Except mine was trying to get through as much of the deck as possible.
I like the aspect of the +1 Health.

Hopefully you do not mind me theorycraft without playing the demo or is not getting an advanced copy.

Concept #4
What I have more imagined for the horde mode you play all 40 Heroes. Fool is removed due to the fact it wouldn't make sense
Basically you get your normal hand.
You reveal Heroes 1 at a time until there is 3-5 (difficulty setting) in town then the Hero will attack, giving you time to setup and predict what is coming.
Once the town is full Heroes will start venturing towards the dungeon, they are not "lured"
Instead treasures give your Boss +1 Attack towards those Heroes.
eg.if you have 3 Magic then you do 3 damage to mages but 0 to Clerics.

When your boss "levels up" Heroes of the same type will start to band into a party only if they are beside each other in the town. So 2 fighters beside would be working to get a common treasure. So you will consider the 1) average of their health rounded up or 2) or constant addition eg.+4 for Hero +6 for Epic. - Needs to be figured out.

Goal is to get Through as many Heroes as possible so killing all 40 means you win the game.
So what are souls for? They are for abilities like trade 3-5 souls to reposition one hero in town. This could break parties and make them easier to beat or allow you to get the right rooms to defeat them later.

Havent thought much about Boss Abilities as something like Robobo or Draculord are player based. Probably need house rules for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Cooperative Games fanMicrobadge: Rahdo Runs Through fanMicrobadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan
@Alan
I'm glad I motivated you to back the project. I suspect adding a good solo play variant would attract a lot more people to the game. I like your idea of a small pack of solo cards. Hopefully there are enough cards in the base game that will work for solo play, but if not they could add the extra pack. I doubt they would add it with the initial printing, but you never know.

@Koey
I like the idea of going through as much of the deck as possible. That would give it a good tower defense feel. My one concern about that mechanic is the huge jump in difficulty when you go from ordinary to epic heroes. It's either going to be too easy to beat the last 10-20 ordinary heroes, or it's going to be too hard to beat the first few epic heroes.

I also thought some about the idea of grouping heroes into parties where the party leader is the only one that takes damage from the room they are in. Once he dies, the next hero becomes the leader and takes damage from the rooms. If we did a party mechanic like that, I like your idea of having treasures do damage to specific hero types. So if the room does 2 damage and has 2 money bags, maybe the leader would take 2 damage and all rogues (including the leader) would take an extra 2 damage. Maybe that would be a good way to work epic heroes in by making them the leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Boss Monster fanMicrobadge: Adam Poots Games "Kingdom Death: Monster" Contest participantMicrobadge: 2012 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: Sentinels of the Multiverse fanMicrobadge: Copper Session Reporter
@Jim
Well it's hard to know cause I haven't played a game so I do not know how strong epic heroes are.
Note that when I meant treasure doing damage. I mean if the dungeon has 2 fighter and 1 mage item and the boss is Fighter type. Then the boss will deal 2 damage to fighters, but only 1 damage to mages. This way it gives diversifying your dungeon more abilities.

The idea of having full hitpoints of the party would mean you need a longer dungeon, as BWG clearly made each hero enter one by one is because otherwise if too many heroes group together it will be impossible to kill. Even just 2 normal heroes will make 12 making it as powerful as an epic, then you got the epic so that would be a good 20 hp for at least 4 wounds.

What I had in mind is for 40 cards you will start adding epic heroes to the board once your boss level's up or after 8 normal heroes has been killed.
So this guarantees the dungeon is at some strength. The boss damage at the end is just a few damage to make your boss feel more powerful and makes killing epics slightly easier.

Also there could be other uses that souls can be used for. Like spend a soul and you can swap the positions of two rooms or destroy a room.
Not sure how strong advanced monster rooms are but maybe you want upgrading to advanced to cost a soul.

Also regarding your concept 3 the only problem I can possibly see is by having only 10 heroes means you can't pass more than one hero. This means forcing you to engage hero every hero after and it also means you cannot let 2 heroes wound you which might be pretty hard. As otherwise it cannot reach your 10 soul requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yeah, you would be forced to engage and defeat almost every hero. But I think that's a good thing because it could force you to play your room cards in a different order than you would ideally want to. You might be forced to play the cleric room even though your dungeon would be more efficient if you played a fighter room.

Also, you could theoretically still win if 2 or more heroes survive the dungeon. The vampire bordello, for example, would allow you to heal a wound. I suspect there may be other room or spell cards in the game that could heal wounds, too.

I obviously can't playtest yet, but I'm beginning to think it would be tough to handle heroes with 6-8 health in the early rounds. But, we could simply allow the player to start with an additional room or more spell cards to make it easier. That's something that could easily be tweaked.

I'm still trying to brainstorm some ideas for a "horde mode," but right now I think Concept 3 is the most elegant and enjoyable solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
That is assuming you have the right cards. If you start with a hand full of fighters and is faced with 2+ other heroes its an instant lose.

Since you are only starting with 10 Heroes. If 2 or more Heroes escape the maximum score is 9 which means it would not reach your 10 soul requirement.

In concept 4, basically I wait till the town is populated before Heros venture into the dungeon. This gives you a good 3-4(needs testing but this seems fair) turns to plan out what rooms you want to play before you start.
Also during those initial turns it also allows you to draw cards while the Heroes prepare in town. This way it guarantees you have a good 3-4 rooms before engaging. (or even down to 2 requires play testing) Also by having a Boss that can attack will definitely mean your room should be sturdy enough for the first few Heroes in town.
Still haven't fully thought of when epic heroes show up. But they should refill the town whenever you defeat one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
True, there's a chance that you'd draw only fighter rooms and get screwed right away. But that would be part of the strategy when you pick from your original 5 room cards. Especially if you can get one or more of the dual rooms you're in good shape. It would require some play testing, but I think the scenario of an instant lose would be pretty rare if you play it right.

I like your concept of having a few heroes populate in town before they attack you. But I think the difficulty of the heroes would need to scale as the game goes on. It seems to me that once you have 3+ rooms you should be able to defeat every ordinary hero and once you have 5 rooms with 1 or 2 advanced rooms you should be able to defeat every epic hero (except maybe the 20 health hero). Having similar heroes pair up is one possibility.

Now I understand what you meant about having the boss do damage based on your treasures. That would be a good way to increase the dungeon damage output when we need to and gives more meaning to the treasures when there's no bid mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
Well we are theory crafting so its hard to know.
I just think since when Heros deal wound you equivalently lost 1 soul too. So in your scenario you take 2 wounds you lose.
What I can see work for concept 3, is if you miss a fight early on, it just means you have to fight another Epic Hero in it's place. This way missing early engagement means you just have to fight a stronger Hero later, but early game should be fine.

Agreed, but since I haven't played the game I do not know how strong dungeons are. I agree it needs some scaling, but I haven't thought of one yet. Possibly to make the game shorter and more challenging. After a certain number of kills. You start placing a second hero card on all new heros entering town. Instead of taking average of their score, they get +3 health for each hero joining them. +4 if they are the same type. This way you can increase player size to keep the game interesting. Also to maintain fairness Epic Hero always has 1 less party member than currently allowed for balance. ie. Currently after 5 kills Heros start marching in 2, but Epic Hero still enter alone. After 15 Kills (duo heros count as 2 kills) heroes start marching in threes and Epic Heroes can get an ordinary. If there are no more Ordinary then you can get 2 epics charging in, which shouldn't happen till like very end if you populate the town with 1 epic every 2-3 kills.
Last point in hero parties always take the hero with the most hp.

Yup, glad you got it.

PS. I would like to rename concept 4 to "Hero Horde"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Sorry it took me so long to remember to post here, but I've been clambering for a solo-play since the beginning (seriously, check the fbook). I had an idea similar to Koey's but it involved a bit more dungeon planning.

My idea revolved around the room of monsters actually having health and traps actually needing reset. I haven't hashed out the thought tremendously, but what if everytime a hero passed through a monster room, the monster lost 1HP (not sure how to determine how many HP a monster room would have though) and every time a hero passes through a trap room you have to reset it the next turn (either the trap room takes one turn to reset or you use action points during the boss phase to add rooms, reset traps, use souls to heal monsters and the like).

I also love the idea of parties and I think it should be varied about how big the parties are. I personally like the idea of a D4 for party size (I know, I know, no adding things to solo play or the mechanic is f**ked) or using something like a fibonnaci series thing. Also, I don't think the epic heroes should be in a big party, so that would need be accounted for.

Also, the boss monster needs to be able to do damage, so I would say that he gets to attack for a damage based upon experience (500-700 = 1HP, 700-900 = 2HP, >900 = 3HP or something along those lines)

A big part of all this solo play variant stuff is what to do with spells. They clearly affect other players, and not heroes, so they would almost have to be ruled out entirely (making some of the rooms useless).

I know this was really scattered, but I'm much better at tossing the ideas in the pot first and then piecing them together later. Let me know what you guys think.

EDIT: I also really agree with type bonuses. I think it would be better to give rooms a +1 bonus (+2 if advanced room) to damage if their hero type is the same as the room. In the event that two fighters enter a room, fighter rooms would deal +2 damage (+4 if advanced room).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
@Koey
Yeah, I'm sure we can figure something out when we can play test them. I'm tempted to just cut up some paper and sketch the cards that they've revealed so far. There are probably enough cards out there to give it a try.

Hero Horde it is, then!

@Griffin
Interesting idea about monster rooms having HP and trap rooms needing to reset. That would be a huge change in mechanics, but it could lead to a fun game.

I'm skeptical about bosses doing damage based on their XP. It doesn't seem like there is much difference between the >900 XP bosses and the

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
Microbadge: Oakland Athletics fanMicrobadge: Anyone can be a star but it takes a lot for a Ninja-StarMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: There's always room for one more!Microbadge: Houston Texans fan
I actually really like concept 2. It's straightforward and very similar to the original gameplay rules. Hero HP can be tweaked as in concept 3 to counter the fact the the dungeon gets "leveled up"...

I think the goal should be to survive the deck and to try for a high score... similar to how players are playing d-day dice maps solo and comparing final score upon victory. Each soul = +2 pts, each wound = -2, and say every fighter that wasn't lured (just at the beginning of the game, I'm thinking) = -1. Or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
@Griffin @Jim
When I originally said rooms with treasure should do damage, they only give the Boss +1 against that certain class.
The reason why I do not want rooms to do extra damage to those classes is because usually rooms will have abilities like if a Hero dies in this room draw a spell. That could make the game too easy. Instead if you have the Boss do X damage at the end where X is the treasure type matching each Hero. This is sort of a last ditch effort to fight groups so Bosses do not die to fast.
This way you can play with every boss, with their powers intact to some extent, like King Croak and Seducia's ability wouldn't change. Where as if you use XP to determine damage it means you will have less incentive to play some bosses.

@Griffin
What I can see happen to avoid adding tokens and what not is whenever a Hero dies in a room it does a wound to that damage, which can be represented by adding the Hero beneath the room. Say when a room is filled with 3 bodies the Boss cannot take the odor and destroys the room. Which might be a nice mechanic. Which I might consider adding to concept 4 with the horde mode.

I was thinking party mechanics are interesting, if we wanted. Like a Cleric and Fighter are super effective against Monster Rooms and Thief and Mage can disarm traps and a party of 4 is just all of the abilities possible.

Regarding spells, until we get to know more about them we either need to remove the ones that are player oriented so people can draw better cards like Assassination and Teleportation.

@Brian
Try reading Concept 4 aka "Hero Horde" on my first post. Maybe that would cater more to what you are thinking, will update it as we discuss more details on how it could work.

@All
Kinda tired at the moment, sorry if theres any mistake above will edit out later. And probably update "Hero Horde" concept when I get the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
@Koey You're right that there are a few spell cards that would work well for solo play, but out of 25 cards, I would be surprised if there are even 10 that aren't directed at other players or would otherwise be made obsolete by the single player variant. I guess that would just mean that players are constantly reshuffling spell cards into the spell deck. Another thing we'll just have to see when we get the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
@Griffin
If there are only limited number of spells. Instead what we could do is make them into abilities that costs different amount of souls.
This way I can see different boss cards and different spells could make cool combination.
Like Assassination/Teleportation will cost 8 souls to activate, and abilities can only activated once per hero party.

Hopefully someone with a prototype will help with our cause. Otherwise will have to wait till February.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
The option to create our own cards is really going to be a game changer for this. Though the idea of printing out and creating your own cards to mix in with the game might not be amazing, it really does open up a whole new aspect of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Merritt
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Another interesting variant could be an alternate two-player setup, in which one player builds a dungeon as normal, while the other draws from the deck of hero cards and chooses which to send into town. The spell deck would be separated into two decks, with the boss monster having access to "enhance your dungeon" spells and the hero using "obstruct opponent's dungeon" spells. The hero player should also be able to upgrade heroes to epic heroes of the same type at any given time, though there would have to be a cost... Maybe discarding both the hero they're upgrading and another card from their hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yeah, the custom cards could make things interesting.

I had some time on my hands yesterday and I crudely made all of the cards that Brotherwise has revealed so far in order to test out some mechanics. I tried out Concept 3 about 10 times with a "Hero Horde" addition to the end. All in all, I had 23 room cards and 3 spell cards, so the spells were pretty limited.

The rules were that you start as normal and each turn one hero is revealed. The turn after the hero is revealed it comes to your dungeon (assuming you have one of the treasures). So the first turn you reveal one hero. Each subsequent turn you reveal a new hero and the hero that was already in play comes to your dungeon. So, the first time a hero enters your dungeon you have 3 rooms. Each turn after the first turn the heroes get +1 health per turn, so by the 9th hero it has +8 health. The 10th turn is an epic "boss hero" at +9 health. And just for kicks, I kept going through the epic heroes as far as I could until their health got too high. You're allowed to let one hero leave town (because you don't have the appropriate treasure) or to suffer one wound.

These were my results:
- The games took 5-10 minutes to play.

- I won every game, but it wasn't always easy

- In about half of the games I suffered a wound or couldn't lure a hero. The only game I was legitimately close to losing was because I didn't have any mage treasures and two mages showed up. Luckily I drew one right before the second one came.

- The threat of taking wounds or not luring heroes was always in the first 3 or 4 turns. After that they were no challenge, especially when I played with TBD.

- Killing the first epic hero was always easy, because you basically just need to use a spell (like teleport or cave-in) and you can kill anyone. Although, the fact that 2/3 of the spell cards I have available can kill an epic hero might be a misrepresentation of the rest of the game. I think I'll institute a rule that you can't use spells that target the "boss hero" in turn 10.

- I could generally get through 4 to 8 epic heroes. At that point they had about 27 health, which is about the limit of the best dungeon I could make with the available cards.

Some thoughts and conclusions:
- You can get all advanced rooms in your dungeon in 8-10 turns. After that point, most of the room cards available will make your dungeon worse and I found myself frequently not playing any room cards at all.

- If the game is going to last more than 8-10 turns there needs to be some mechanic that forces you to keep adding to your dungeon. Maybe it could be dead heroes "clogging up" your rooms, like discussed in previous comments. Maybe you can unlock additional rooms beyond 5 in exchange for souls. For that matter, maybe you can only start with 3 or 4 rooms and you have to unlock further rooms.

- If opponents aren't forcing you to destroy or rearrange rooms, your dungeon's damage output increases by about 1.5 to 2 per turn. So, the increase of 1 hp per turn helps the heroes stay challenging, but it doesn't keep pace with the growth of the dungeon.

- Most of the advanced rooms only have 1 treasure, so Concept 2 would probably require 2 treasures to recruit epic heroes instead of the 4 I originally proposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
Nice play test results.

- Maybe you can try not using spells at all and see how game play changes?
- Also discarding rooms when you build on top would be interesting change of pace, including building adv rooms.
- Agreed on the fact, with the lack of someone messing with your dungeon it will be hard.
1)Maybe you can try shuffling in spells into the Hero deck and play them against yourself.
OR
2)Try the room "having hp" as in number of bodies the room has accumulated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I agree with Koey that a big aspect of this game is that other "players" mess with your dungeon and constantly make you rework your setup and run damage control. Since there are no other players in the solo variant, it will have to be up to the heroes to keep you on your toes.

I do like the idea of having heroes be able to use spells. I think that maybe a second spell deck (spells that can be used against you) should be added to the hero deck and any time a Mage enters your dungeon, it casts a spell from it's spell deck on it's dying room. I would assume that these spells would be things like Freeze or Destroy Room.

On that note, what if each class had a generic class ability. Fighters take less damage from Monster rooms, Thiefs take less damage from trap rooms. Clerics have a heal ability (maybe flip a coin after every room, if heads, heal one, if tails ignore) and Mages have spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'd like to try out having spells cast against you, but there just aren't enough spells available to do that yet. Maybe after the kickstarter campaign ends and they release the strategy guide.

Adding in class-specific abilities would spice it up. I found that once I had one of each treasure the hero's class doesn't matter and they are just a number, which diminishes the theme a bit. The first few turns are already pretty balanced, so I wouldn't want to add more difficulty there. But, the hero abilities could also "level up" when you get to 5 rooms to help balance out the mid game and add some theme. That could conceivably also give you the strategic option to never even play your 5th room.

I was also thinking about the idea of building rooms to the right of the boss monster in addition to the left. That way you would have two different sides to defend and it would double the length of the game before your dungeon got maxed out. I haven't really thought of how to implement it yet, but it could open up some more possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I too thought it would be cool to make a more diversified dungeon by having more than one entrance, but what determines which gate the hero goes through and I can only imagine that making it easier, not harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
I also thought about expanding the dungeon.
Here is a neat idea, not sure how well it works.

Let's try left and right first till there are more room cards, I see this as an end concept where you build in 4 directions, of course giving you 4 turns and 4 heroes flipped so you can predict how to build.

Heros will choose the shortest path with the most treasure of it's type. Always in preference of shortest path, so if you do not have that treasure type they take the shortest path.
This way it makes it so the Boss will have to cover multiple fronts.

I also like the ability idea.
In addition I think something to make treasure types more interesting would be to give the Hero a +1 hp for each treasure you have in the path(dungeon for more hardcore mode).(think of fight stronger cause of craving for treasure)

For class abilities, maybe you can make them tiered. Like either based on number of rooms or souls/kills you have accumulated.
ie. 5+ kills Tier 1 Hero, 10+ Kills Tier 2, etc
So then like Griffin suggested you can have the following:
Note* gonna assume Tier 5 is final tier for now
Fighters:
Tier 1 get -1 damage from Basic Monster Rooms
Tier 2 gets -1 damage from Adv and Basic Monster Rooms.
Tier 3 gets -1 damage from Adv, -2 from Basic Monster
Tier 4 gets -1 damage from Adv, -2 from Basic Monster and Tap the room for one term if Hero survives the room
Tier 5 - Tier 4 + destroy any tapped Monster/Fighter Treasure rooms

Thief
Tier 1 get -1 damage from Basic Trap Rooms
Tier 2 gets -1 damage from Adv and Basic Trap Rooms.
Tier 3 gets -1 damage from Adv, -2 from Basic Trap
Tier 4 gets -1 damage from Adv, -2 from Basic Trap and Tap the room for one term if Hero survives the room
Tier 5 - Tier 4 + Destroys any tapped Trap/Thief treasure rooms

Mage - gains a magic token for each room they survive
Tier 1 - cast a spell when the mage gains 3 tokens
Tier 2 - cast a spell when the mage gains 3 tokens, gain an extra token if the Hero survives the room with a magic treasure
Tier 3 - Tier 2, but only need 2 tokens instead
Tier 4 - Tier 3 and taps any magic rooms they survive through
Tier 5 - Tier 4 + Casts a spell before entering the dungeon

Cleric - gains a magic token for each room they survive - heals itself for 1 hp
Tier 1 - cast a heal when the mage gains 3 tokens
Tier 2 - cast a heal when the mage gains 3 tokens, gain an extra token if the Hero survives the room with a ankh treasure
Tier 3 - Tier 2, but only need 2 tokens instead
Tier 4 - Tier 3 and taps any magic rooms they survive
Tier 5 - Tier 4 + brings back the last hero from discard pile to help(add half the last hero's health to the cleric, this is a health boost max hp of cleric stays the same.

These ability sound powerful for now, will require balancing. Just to show the idea for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Boss Monster fan
I haven't read every post in here so not sure if it has been stated, so excuse me if it has.

Let's not leave out a possiblity for solo play. Playing as the hero. I don't have the details worked out, but in theory it would need dice and branching dungeon rooms (as well as flipped over dungeon rooms that are only seen once entered)

I'd need to see the entire deck in order to work out the fine details of this mode but it would basically work like a normal NES game where you play the hero and go through dungeons to beat the boss.

Sound interesting to anyone, or does it just sound like it is defeating the purpose of boss monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
It's an interesting idea, but I'm very skeptical you could make it work within the framework of Boss Monster. What would your decisions be? Go through room A or go through room B? There aren't any abilities or items in the game to customize your hero or give you any options. You'd basically have to come up with a brand new game to make it work. But if you think you could make it work, don't let me stop you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |