Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Schneider
Germany
Kronshagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I bought a commercial PC-game version of Puerto Rico. AFAIK, the game was released this month and is only available on the German market and in German language. You can find it on http://www.bhv.de/PuertoRico (or amazon.de etc). Price is low at around 20€.

The game is a 1:1 implementation of the original board game rules with extension tiles. You can play single player, LAN or internet (p2p) with up to four other human or computer players. The package also includes a set of the official 24 extension tiles for the board game in German language! This was in fact the main reason for me to buy the game, because AFAIK there is no other way of getting the German extension tiles in original print.

About the AI implementation: I am not too experienced in PR, I've maybe played about 50 games total, one half in realspace and the other on BSW. Yesterday I tried about 10 games alone with two computer players at highest strength level. My impression was that the AI players play about as good or bad as a human player with no more than 3-5 games of gaming experience. I won every game by a far amount with different strategies and without a real challenge. Maybe it was because the AI players did NOT follow any particular strategy. Nothing really surprising, but still a bit disappointing.

About the gaming interface: It is rather bad also, way behind the BSW interface or other AI projects from this BGG community, because you can only see your own island space and ONE opponent's at the same time, regardless of your display resolution. You can swith between the opponents, of course, and you can always see at least all of their doubloons and goods, but you are still missing a good overview. The plantation tiles, buildings and workers are also far from easy to recognize.

I haven't tried the network play so far. In summary, I think you should rather play virtual games on BSW and only buy this PC-game if you really need the original German board game extension tiles (like I felt I did).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo B.
Italy
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks for your comments. It seems this Puerto Rico PC version is just like all the other Dartmoor implementations, i.e. really really bad. In all their games (Tikal, Tigris, Kardinal&Koenig, Loewenherz, Torres) they spent a lot of efforts in useless 3D graphics and not nearly enough in usable interfaces and decent AIs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schneider
Germany
Kronshagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I forgot to mention that this one also has a 3D graphics mode that makes the game absolutely unplayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Bowman
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
Just a question, but is there by any chance a way to switch the language to english along the same method as El Grande and Carcassone Computer Game although I know they are made by a different software companies. Thanks for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We are releasing the English version of Puerto Rico the PC Game later in January. Ads will start rolling for it here on the BGG shortly.

I found the AI to be challenging, but I am not a long time player of Puerto Rico (roughly 20 games) so I will leave that to the players to decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
Australia
flag msg tools
Does anyone know what ports need to be open on a firewall to play this online?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will let you know as soon as I find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.