Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see alot of talk about ASL, but is it board wargaming? or something different.
can someone explain to me what is is like?

i never see any pics other then the boxes.

Thanks in advance.
Abodi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL is the very essence of wargaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, nice answer but...

ASL stands for Advanced Squad Leader which refers to a set of rules that are used to play the game that was Squad Leader. Originally, the rules were a reorganization of the chaos of the Squad Leader expansions, but it became a very solid, very detailed se tof rules for tactical combat. The sheer number of rules is somewhat daunting, but the ASL rules have one thing in common: they aren't arbitrary rules that are there for no reason. A lot of thought was put into the system.

I encourage you to check out the game if you find someone nearby that has it. It might be something you will enjoy. It is very expensive to get all the modules, but you don't need everything and if you want to start slow you might try the ASL starter kits - see the BGG entry.

Last, please don't forget that Squad Leader is also still a great game. I got rid of most of my ASL stuff about five years ago, but I still play Squad Leader every so often. It's fun.

Good luck & have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Realise that it will depend on scenarios and what not. but as an average how long does a game normally take.

i was also looking at vasl just before, seems interesting as i highly doubt that i would be able to find people to play against.

is ASL generally just 2 players.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel, it's a very complex tactical WWII boardgame derived from a refreshing/rewrite of Squad Leader and it's three follow-up gamettes.. For a sense of what's involved, here's a page discussing basic tactics for the first ASL Starter Kit. http://www.savarese.org/simulation/aslskbasictactics.html

Without having read the rules, a lot of the abbreviations won't make sense, but it might give you an idea of how it compares to anything you have experience with.

There's also a brief Flash demo that a player put together on the various defensive fire options available during an opponent's movement phase. Again, the discussion won't make much sense without having read the rules but it will offer you another idea of some of the things involved.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/demo/MMP-31.html

Finally, you can usually observe people playing the game over the internet using the VASL program (http://www.vasl.org/).

The first starter kit contains about 8 pages of dense rules (not including the examples). Even that is a pretty complex game, though. ASL(SK) is a game that can be learned by newbies with effort, or learned pretty easily with help by players familiar with it. If you have any interest in it, finding a player through your FLGS or with BGG's geek search function would be the way to go.

It's very difficult to learn, but very rewarding for most of those who struggle their way through the first few sessions.

Players who were somewhat unhappy with the complexity did the Advanced Tobruk System games (ATS), which is easier as a whole, plays faster and I think quite a bit bloodier. Further down the complexity scale (by quite a lot, I think) is the Lock n Load system. Both of these use terminology common to ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to people playing ASL...

http://www.klasm.com/ASL/AAR/ASLOK_2005/Misc/ASLOK_2005_Misc...

Also there are close ups of the boards, etc.

The Starter Kits (ASLSK) are great ways to learn about the game.

If you are interested, give a shout as to your location and most likely someone near you plays ASL and would be willing to help you learn.

Later,
Jeff

PS Yes it is generaly a 2 player game. However, if you have 4, match up and play two games. If you have an even number, this is easily a fun way to spend an afternoon or evening. If you have an odd man out, there are a number of scenarios that allow for 3 players to have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.