Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone! We need your help!

On Sunday, November 25th, we'll be recording our end-of-year special, where we'll be giving away the award for the worst game we've played in 2012...

...we'll also be dedicating a significant portion of the show to answering your questions!

If you have any questions at all for Flip the Table, about the show, gaming in general, or other topics, post them here! We'll go through as many as we can on the show. The deadline for questions is midnight EST on November 24th. So get your questions in soon!

BANCE,

Your Moderator Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Predki
Poland
Łódź
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just a short one for now.

Are there games you thought would be good for the podcast but then they turned out to be too good to fit in with the theme? Or the other way round, have you started playing a game that happened to be so terrible you decided to make a podcast out of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holly Smalley
United States
Shelton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roy Stephens did a mash-up of Mall Madness and Last Night on Earth. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/66078/last-night-at-th...

What are some mash-ups that Flip the Table can come up with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions so far! Don't worry we are not above mundane or stupid questions either.

For example:
Q. What kind of socks am I wearing today?
A.White, tube socks. And no they don't have the little suspender thingies on them, though I would wear those if I had them.

Q.If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be?
A.A ninja Ent. Nuff' said.

Q.Spock vs. Tuvok?
A.Spock. Do I need to explain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olejnicak
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What "bad games" are each of you excited to try out? Do you ever have to compeate with each other to play a game or convince each other a game should be played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did the Battle of Wits idea come from? It seems so disconnected from what I think we'd consider the main attraction of the show. (It's definitely grown on me, though. The IMDB game is my favorite.)

I've always thought that the stakes in the Battle of Wits should be which game gets played next, with everyone playing on behalf of a game of their choice. Add some real consequences to it! (Don't let the bird game win!)

What good games are you playing?

Would you consider trying to fix/revamp/recreate a bad game during NaGa DeMon (National Game Design Month)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions so far! Keep 'em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't listened to every episode yet, so you'll have to forgive me if some of this has been talked about already on the show:

Of the games you have played for the show which had a theme you liked the best and, therefore, wished it was a better game?

If none of you have ever seen a TV show or movie would you spend time researching it before playing/reviewing a game with that theme?

What are some of the games you actually like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne Jones
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANCE!

* What is the best worst game you have ever played? For example, by no reasonable standard is Point Break a good film, but Jim and I consistently laugh until our sides hurt watching it because it is SOOO bad in all aspects (concept, writing, acting, filming problems, etc.). It's our household Plan 9. Do you have a game that's so breathtakingly bad that it's consistently great to play?

* You're thrifters, bargain shoppers and yard salers, is there a "game that got away" that lights your inner Captain Ahab?

* You guys get games by mail. Any notable disasters there? Or surprises in the shipping boxes? (I should note here that our in-transit box bears no surprises- although I was tempted to send you the horrid Game of Goose.)

* Do you think you would have any fun reviewing a good game? Do you think the space-time continuum could withstand it?

BANCE!

adrienne

Great Big Table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spin Termite
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
HEALED!!!
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
We hear about games you dislike, what kind of games do you like? What are your favorites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Counter
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a common mechanic in some of the older 'bad' games you guys have done episodes on is the lazy designer element of roll-and-move. So I was wondering, are there common elements and game mechanics you guys see across many of the games you wind up nearly wanting to rage-quit, including but not limited to the aforementioned roll-and-move? And if so, are there games (even ones not done on the show) that have used these bad mechanics, but a game has made decent use of that mechanic?

What was your biggest positive surprise (i.e., a game you liked but initially expected to hate)? Any on the converse? Can I ask too many questions? African or European? I know most of these are pretty horrid games, but was there one mechanic in a game that you found unique, good or bad, and if there are are good ones, how might they be incorporated into future games designs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reptillio Jazzdog
United States
York
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Get your pointer off of me or suffer!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Your theme reminds me of the excellent Showtime series, Dead Like Me. I believe it is a Steward Copland song. Did Dead Like Me inspire your choice for the theme?

2) Do you know of any insurance companies that offer protection from charging wildlife if you play a game of Jumanji?

3) I am really tired of playing strip poker with all the hot models at the agency. That's all they want to do, all day, every day. What is the best way to get them to try a Euro?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the excellent questions so far! Glad to see everyone participating!

Feel free to post multiple questions if you have them. If you do post multiples, we will likely select one of them to answer to ensure the most people can have their question featured on the show. If we run out of time, we'll look at posting answers to as many leftovers as we can here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Doyle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did the engineer kill himself at the beginning of Prometheus?

Why isn't there a really good wrestling promotion management/strategy video game?

What are your other favourite podcasts?

What best selling and critically acclaimed game would you class as a 'Flip The Table' game?

Just what is a lazer book; is it a book made up of lazer beams or a book that fires lazers?

If all of you individually stacked your board game collection on top of each other in a simple straight tower (in this example we will assume that the relative strength of each box is sufficient to support the total weight of the tower) whose tower would reach the highest?

If all of you were to stand on top of your board game tower, as discussed in the previous question, and engage in an American Gladiators pugil stick-style contest, who would win?

That's it. I'm spent for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Predki
Poland
Łódź
flag msg tools
mbmb
You recently took part in The Dice Tower podcast's recommendation for game gifts segment and I was hoping you could maybe elaborate on that a little bit more. I was thinking of buying a couple of games as gifts this year but many of the recommendations given on the show are not applicable to my situation because the games are either too new to be available in Poland or too language-specific for some of my family.

Maybe you could give some new recommendations for games, both casual and more demanding, that have been around for some time and do not have too many words in them Some examples you could base your answer on and which I've played are Pickomino, for younger kids, and Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gregory
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marry, Boff, Kill.

Mrs. Peacock (Clue)
Gramma Nutt (Candyland)
Carmen Sandiego (Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz Schubert
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can only answer one of my questions, please answer this one:
Why did you chose to have a structure that is build around "commercial breaks"? The Dice Tower also has ads during the show, but they put them in whichever time slot they like. The D6 genaration (and also the Spiel, if I'm not mistaken) has advertisements between segments. You, however, interrupt a segment for the "commercial". So I was just wondering why you chose to do that from the first episode on.

Other (not as important) questions I have are:
There are a lot of people on the internet who review bad entertainment products (mostly movies). Examples include The Nostalgia Critic, The Angry Video Game Nerd or Angry Joe. Who is your favourite bad movies/video games/etc. reviewer? Were you inspired by any of them?

Keep up the good work, guys. Your show is my favourite podcast, right behind The Dice Tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you review games, you talk about things you'd add or alter to make a terrible game better. I'd like to flip that around:

- What easy changes could be made to good games that you really like, in order to make them "worthy" of being featured on your show?

You talk about games that feature pictures of actors and that sometimes there is no picture of some of the actors, for unknown reasons.

- What is the game you'd least like to have your picture on, and how much would you need to be paid to agree to let them use your likeness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Catino
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Check out our two-player geeklist for fresh opinions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to start by saying that I listen to the podcast all the time. I've heard every episode many times over by now, and they're still consistently funny.

My question(s) for the Flip the Table panel:

1. What other hobbies do you guys have? It can't be only board games, right?

2. I recently heard Flip's interview at BGGCon with Tom and Eric. Will any of the Flip the Table panel be attending The Dice Tower Con in 2013?

3. For someone who doesn't have a dedicated gaming group, how do you recommend bringing friends (read: potential opponents) together in one place in an attempt to start your own?

Keep up the excellent work, all of you.

BANCE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
I'm probably a bit late with this, but just in case, one of my favourite episodes was the arcade game trio episode - are there any plans to do more shows with multiple games based around a specific theme in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The deadline has officially closed! Thanks to everyone who posted questions! We'll make sure to answer one question from everyone who posted...any questions that go up after this post we'll reply to right here in this thread. =-) Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.