Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Baldwin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
After everyone was situated with beer and pizza, I hauled out my copy of Kohle, Kie$ and Knete, which I had received
only the week before after languishing on the Funagain.com waiting list for about half a year. KKK is a negotiation
game in which members of six families must collaborate to engineer "Big Deals". At any given time one player is The
Boss, and he or she will receive a lump sun of money if they can recruit all the necessary family members to participate
in the current deal. In order to lure other players into joining in on the deal, the Boss will offer them a cut of the swag;
it's when the Boss starts playing opponents off on one another ("Claire, you said you'd participate for $5 million, but
James says he'll do it for four. Will you join in for only $3 million or shall I go with James?") that things get cutthroat
-- and fun. With exactly six players (Ranger, Will, James, Claire, Carrie and myself) all the families were accounted
for.

As I was the only one who had played KKK before, things started of fairly slow as everyone got a feel for the rules.
After we had hammered out a few of the initail deals, though, folks seemed to get the hang of it and the backstabbing
began in earnest. One of the first acts of treachery was by Claire, who stole Will's Investor card right out from under
him. Will, unfortunately, never got an Investor card back, although at one point he tried to steal mine (but I played a
"Stop" card to prevent the theft). Later in the game I managed to get Carrie's Investor, although it was too late in the
game to do me much good.

By the end of the game, I had no idea who was in the lead, although I had my eye on James. The two times I had played
Intrige with him he had mopped up through shrewed bargaining and his remarkable talent for not pissing anyone off
during negotiations (a skill I wholly lack). Despite my inability to keep friends, though, I thought I had done fairly well
for myself, and figured I was probably in the lead. One person I did not think had faired well was Claire, who had kept
offering her Investor to other players for ludicrously low prices. Although Claire had participated in a lot of deals, I
didn't think she had amasses very much cash. Which just goes to show that I should pay closer attention. When we all
revealed our final gain, Claire was indeed the winner with around $45 million, James was a close second, and I only had
$30 million in my account.

One thing I noticed: with inexperienced players, Kohle, Kie$ & Knete is a lot less frantic than it is with old pros. This is
mostly due to the fact the KKK vets tend to stock up on cards, while new-comers usually opt to be the Boss whenever
they can. Since the chaotic nature of the game stems from card play, this round was a bit dry. Next time we play, though,
I expect the proceedings to be considerably wilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.