Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Third Game: High Society

Dwight arrived just as we were finishing up our second game of High Society and wanted to have a go. Since there was still a chance that some of our other guests might show up, this seemed like a good idea. About the second card to come up was the 1/2 card. Since I was the first bidder on this, I bid a little higher than usual for an initial bid on the penalty cards. However, it did not get past Dwight, who chose to go ahead and take it. The end result of this is that Christine got a free pass -- no penalty card and it didn't cost her anything. This really set her up for the rest of the game. Matt and Christine managed to pick up the 2x cards when they came up. I spent a whole lot of money trying to avoid the lose one card, which Dwight again took. The problem he now had was that although he had a lot of money (relatively), he was having a real hard time picking up any points. It became quite clear that it was going to be difficult to beat Christine's 8 and 2x card. I made a valiant effort, but I had spent too much avoiding penalty cards and was knocked out of contention.

Final Result:

Christine -- 16
Matt -- 12
Dwight -- 9
Stephen -- 15 (Bust)

As mentioned already, Dwight's initial play on the 1/2 card allowed Christine to have an early lead. This really placed her in a position that was difficult for the rest of us to even compete with. Matt and I lost just enough money to put us at a significant disadvantage. The penalty cards for Dwight were ultimately too much for him to overcome. Perhaps if we had gone on another round or two. We did manage to see a few more cards this time around than in the previous game, so that was nice. This game lasted about 20 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.