Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sixth Game: Puerto Rico

Wow, six games in one night. It had been a long time since we've done that. Have we ever done that on Monday? At this point, Dwight was interested in playing something we've played before. That was fine with me. He suggested Matt choose, but I reminded Dwight that Matt has played quite a few more games than he had. Dwight was interested in playing a game of Puerto Rico. Matt was up for this even though he had never played before. We then began the task of setting everything up.

As I often like to do, one of the first things I did was build a hospice. This just seems to work really well when I play. I followed this with a market and construction hut. The hut was somewhat problematic as it took me quite a while before I was ever able to pick up a quarry. I did eventually end up with a pair, which was nice. Meanwhile, I was trying to come up with some stuff to ship or sell. I was able to get some coffee as well as some sugar and indigo. Ultimately, this funded the purchase of a harbor as well as the Fortress and the large building with bonuses for purple buildings. Dwight had spent a fair amount of his time shipping some stuff, so I was starting to get a little worried about him. I then began to work in earnest to fill up my city spaces, which I was finally able to do.

Final Result:

Stephen -- 56
Dwight -- 45
Matt -- 42
Christine -- 40

While it did take Matt a few turns to really get an idea of what was going on, he did end up finishing in a pretty good position given it was his first time to ever play a game. Matt did manage to do well selling tobacco for a little while. He got the shop (or whatever it is that allows you to re-sell an item with the trader) and used that to good effect to pick up some money a couple of times. It was really nice for him to finally be able to do that as he was forced to dump a lot of tobacco earlier in the game. In fact, he really got the shaft with shipping on several occasions. At any rate, it was nice to win at this game again. Perhaps I can get away with not playing again this year Our total game time was about 90 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.