Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Rott
Canada
Camrose
Alberta
flag msg tools
Just a quick clarification needed...

When the epoch ends....either by having the RA Track full, or by the final sun being turned over....

... am I understanding correctly that BOTH the RA Track AND the AUCTION Track are completely cleared off, and the only item that remains for the next epoch is the current "sun"???

Thanks
Darryl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Sometimes a person has a good lot already, but turns over just ONE MORE tile and it's a Ra tile, filling the track and ending the epoch, so the lot all goes to waste. It's one of the tensest moments of the game. Of course, some times you need to take the chance because the good lot isn't good enough to give you a win, so you need to keep flipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Everton
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found myself in an interesting situation playing this last night. I had used 3 of my 4 suns on previous auctions, and was left with a 2. My opponent still had 3 tokens much higher than 2. I "invoked RA" early in the track to force her to use her tokens (there was no way I could win -- all I could do was call the cutoff once it was worth more than 2 and force a bid). SHe used all her tokens, and I was left with my lone 2. Being the only one with tokens, I kept drawing tiles merrily, until I noticed that the RA track was 1 away from being filled. I drew a couple more, "pressing my luck," but stopped short of filling the track and took what was there with my 2 -- understanding that if I went too far and filled the ra track, I'd lose it all.

That was my first real game, and I learned from the book, so I'm not sure I'm playing this right. I gather from this post that RA filling out is a big push-your-luck factor. Is this "cutting auctions short" a common thing too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b00k3 wrote:
I found myself in an interesting situation playing this last night. I had used 3 of my 4 suns on previous auctions, and was left with a 2. My opponent still had 3 tokens much higher than 2. I "invoked RA" early in the track to force her to use her tokens (there was no way I could win -- all I could do was call the cutoff once it was worth more than 2 and force a bid). SHe used all her tokens, and I was left with my lone 2. Being the only one with tokens, I kept drawing tiles merrily, until I noticed that the RA track was 1 away from being filled. I drew a couple more, "pressing my luck," but stopped short of filling the track and took what was there with my 2 -- understanding that if I went too far and filled the ra track, I'd lose it all.

That was my first real game, and I learned from the book, so I'm not sure I'm playing this right. I gather from this post that RA filling out is a big push-your-luck factor. Is this "cutting auctions short" a common thing too?

That's exactly right. That's a big press-your-luck aspect in the game. If the RA track is fairly empty, it can be nice to be the only one with a Sun left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane H
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A previous person wrote "I invoked RA early in the track to force her to use her tokens (there was no way I could win -- all I could do was call the cutoff once it was worth more than 2 and force a bid). SHe used all her tokens, and I was left with my lone 2."

Okay, I am new to this game, just bought it and am trying to get it straight in my head. I don't understand the part above on how you could invoke RA and force your opponent to use their suns in a bid if they didn't want to. Why would that other player bid for something they didn't want or need and give you the advantage at the end? It doesn't sound right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Edwards
United States
South Attleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest secret agent in the world!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jadzianess wrote:
A previous person wrote "I invoked RA early in the track to force her to use her tokens (there was no way I could win -- all I could do was call the cutoff once it was worth more than 2 and force a bid). SHe used all her tokens, and I was left with my lone 2."

Okay, I am new to this game, just bought it and am trying to get it straight in my head. I don't understand the part above on how you could invoke RA and force your opponent to use their suns in a bid if they didn't want to. Why would that other player bid for something they didn't want or need and give you the advantage at the end? It doesn't sound right.

You're correct, there's no way to "force" your opponent to bid.

A huge part of the game is knowing when to call Ra. That is, knowing when the lot of tiles on the auction track is something that your opponent will either bid on, or if they don't, will be worth something to you. And there's a good amount of luck involved when you're in this situation (with the low tile against an opponent with higher tiles). The tile draws that come up may not benefit you and thus if you call Ra and your opponent passes you'll be stuck with them, but if you don't call Ra the lot becomes too valuable for your opponent. You want the lots to be more valuable to you than your opponent, thus you benefit whether they bid (they use up their sun tiles) or pass (you get the lot). And all that back and forth has to be done before the epoch ends.

It definitely takes a few plays to get the feel of when to call Ra and when to bid, etc. depending on which sun tiles you have available, how much "time" is left in the epoch, how "fast" the epoch is (or seems to be) going, the feel for the disasters (how many left of what type) and the valuation of the lots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.