Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Acu
United States
Gilroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
OK, guys, I need your help with two Christmas gifts.

One of my friends loves the Z-man B-movie card game Kung Fu Samurai on Giant Robot Island, the other loves Munchkin. Any good game suggestions for me?

For the record, the first one also likes Starfarers of Catan, disliked Louis XIV, and greatly enjoys A Game of Thrones.

The second one only kinda liked Dork Tower, liked Starfarers of Catan, loved Gloom, and enjoyed Shadows over Camelot. He also seemed to really love Vanished Planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Acu
United States
Gilroy
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
That was an idea I was toying with, certainly is on the list of possibilities. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are other card games in the B-movie series like grave robbers from outter space I & II. Betrayal at House on the Hill has a similar game mechanic to Shadows Over Camelot but not quite the same. There are expansions for Game of Thrones, Starfarers and Gloom. And of course there are piles of additional Munchkin and Settlers stand-alones & expansions that would all work well I'd think.

For something completely different, I can't recommend Bang! enough. Have yet to find anyone I've introduced to it not thoroughly enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang is nice with a large group. Since they seem to like "theme" in games, I might also suggest Zombies. It's not the most strategic of games, but it's heavy on theme and an enjoyable game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Ochs
United States
Jackson
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jeff. The common denominator here is theme, theme, theme. Many Days of Wonder games fit the bill due to not only the game, but also the production value; you already discovered that through Shadows Over Camelot. I would suggest Pirate's Cove: tons of theme, great components, and it has some confrontation which many of us American gamers have been brought up on, so it is something familiar. Memoir '44 from DOW is another good one with great theme and a great underlying game as well.

Another game with plenty of theme is Heroscape, but that can become a money pit pretty quickly if the recipients are expansion junkies. If not, it can be a lot of fun in a beer-and-pretzels sort of a way.

Good luck with your gifting!

Rich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.