Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason for the whole "shifting down colums on the board" process?
The game is played in standard clockwise order, right?
So isn't it enough for each player to hold to his column and place it on the board when his turn comes?

(So I guess that's three questions in one... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard here on BGG that at one point there was a mechanism for changing the move order during the course of the game. This was dumped from the design very late, after the board and pieces had already been settled, so the whole "move columns around" thing is now pointless. Moves happen in clockwise order.

When we play we ignore that part of the board and only use the columns to put underneath the disc you decide to build on your turn, just like you suggest.

Edit: And in case you are new to the game and haven't heard - please try playing without the bonus cards that are awarded for finishing a monument. The game plays much better with no bonus for completing a monument at all. Just leave the cards out of the game and play everything else as the rules suggest. The cards were an addition made by the publisher, and they tend to unbalance the game and change the strategy for the worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I heard here on BGG that at one point there was a mechanism for changing the move order during the course of the game. This was dumped from the design very late, after the board and pieces had already been settled, so the whole "move columns around" thing is now pointless. Moves happen in clockwise order.

When we play we ignore that part of the board and only use the columns to put underneath the disc you decide to build on your turn, just like you suggest.

Edit: And in case you are new to the game and haven't heard - please try playing without the bonus cards that are awarded for finishing a monument. The game plays much better with no bonus for completing a monument at all. Just leave the cards out of the game and play everything else as the rules suggest. The cards were an addition made by the publisher, and they tend to unbalance the game and change the strategy for the worse.

Thanks, W M.

Yes, I'd read about the special cards, and we don't use them anymore (I hated them, so no hard feelings there...)

But I hadn't heard the story of the turn order manipulation, so I kept thinking I must be reading something wrong about those little columns. Glad to know we've been playing it right all along!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.