A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not talking about poor component quality but games that get such a massive amount of plays that they start showing their age. I'm a sleever and I open my boxes like Indiana Jones stealing the idol by swapping it for a bag of sand so my collection has thus far avoided too much wear and tear. Still, I'm curious which games people played to the point that the game was worn out and if so, did you buy a new copy?

Just to ensure this isn't taken too seriously, here's a video of a pug dressed as a bantha...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which games have you played until they were worn out?
My parents have played at least two or three games of Rummikub every evening for the past few years, so much so that the paint has worn off the tiles. My mom then contacted their customer service, and the company actually sent them a whole new set of tiles. I was amazed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first player marker in my copy of Arkham Horror is pretty much worn down to being just a white piece of cardboard. All the passing around over 70 games has worn the picture off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Garfield designs: Guillotine and The Great Dalmuti have had to be replaced because of wear. My current Dalmuti looks like it has been put through the washing machine. Also, I've had to replace Rook decks dozens (more than a hundred) over years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Awesome video!

Unfortunately none of my games are anywhere close to being worn out. I'd love it if some, nay just 1, of my games were close to being worn out from so many playings. As it is my collection is pretty pristine and is likely to be that way for a long long time...

I think I should re-define myself as a games collector rather than a gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
My most worn games now are a tossup between High Frontier and Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization..

In my gaming group, I think we've gone through several decks of Tichu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
My current Tichu deck is set to be retired any day now. It is pretty gnarly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Copper and Estate cards from my copy of Dominion look hideous. We already switched to the ones from Intrigue, but they don't look much better now either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had to re-tape my mapboard for RAF back together... three times. And the red chits are now pink from so much wear and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
The Copper and Estate cards from my copy of Dominion look hideous. We already switched to the ones from Intrigue, but they don't look much better now either.

Same with me, but I bought the new money card set which fixed the issue. I wanted it anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The infection cards from my copy of Pandemic have had to go into solid-backed sleeves to hide all the tell-tale scuffs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a number - when I like a game I play it a LOT, and I buy games to enjoy them, not to worry about their value, so don't bother with sleeves etc:

Race for the Galaxy - bought a new copy along with the first expansion, as the first copy had seen over 500 plays and had worn out - the cards were very grimy and hard to read, to the stage where players were complaining about it
Robo Rally - we've worn out two sets of movement cards now, and badly need a third set (beginning to regret giving away one of the copies we found at a car boot sale years ago - could really use the cards out of it now!).
Settlers of Catan - not quite worn out yet, but the resource cards are struggling a bit - we did get a new resource deck for Christmas a few years ago, and one of these days I will have to use it - but I'm very attached to the worn out ones.
Uno - have gone through several copies of this both during my childhood, and two already for my own children. Children aren't very careful with cards!
Rage - When this was reprinted I boubht 10 copies to replace all the worn out copies my extended family owned - a very popular game with my family, and very well played.
Sherlock Holmes Card Game - the villain cards wore out at a different rate from the rest of the deck due to the extra handling they got, so eventually had to replace my copy, or it was just too easy to see who had the villains.
Tichu - I think we're on our fourth deck now. Deck 1 wore out from over-use. Deck two had a couple of key cards mangled. Deck 3 lost a card down the skirting board (we know where it is, but can't get it out without taking the whole skirting board off the wall!). Deck 4 however is still in good condition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot. My first edition copy of King of Tokyo's dice are sadly turning into generic green and black cubes. The curse of early adoption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels wasn't even played that much, but my copy came with the Dark City exp, and the base game characters are so worn that side-by-side of the exp character, the difference is night and day.

I used to play Battlestar Galactica twice a week for about 8 months that it's too late to sleeve the smaller, skill cards.
Further more, the board is worn, and the box is falling apart at its seams. I tried using duct tape, but that was a mistake. Another gamer used plastic tape to fix up alot of it, although now it's badly damaged again. I finally transferred the contents (cut out a few bulky player aids) into the Exodus expansion box.

EDIT: additional in blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

Our board actually fell apart one night while the game was being put away. FFG was awesome enough to send us a replacement at no cost.

But now I'm saving pennies to re-sleeve the game because the sleeves are so sticky (you can pick up an entire skill deck just by holding the top few cards gulp). Our damage tokens have to go into bags because they've become worn and identifiable (well, FTL has robot). Civilian ships might soon get there. Our piloting tokens are getting pretty worn too, especially for the more frequently played pilots. We could probably use a replacement of everything but the board soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Newman Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
My dice in God Dice are almost unreadable on the 0 and 5 sides, but that's the only one I can think of that comes anywhere close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper. And let me tell you, that series comes with some of the toughest dang cards in my collection too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm a rough roller, I tend to wear out dice:

D&D - My original D20 is very rough.

Element - Dice were rolled so much they have all but faded away.

I have a chipped die, I forget what game it went to...If only some one would invent dice sleeves. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

Our board actually fell apart one night while the game was being put away. FFG was awesome enough to send us a replacement at no cost.

But now I'm saving pennies to re-sleeve the game because the sleeves are so sticky (you can pick up an entire skill deck just by holding the top few cards gulp). Our damage tokens have to go into bags because they've become worn and identifiable (well, FTL has robot). Civilian ships might soon get there. Our piloting tokens are getting pretty worn too, especially for the more frequently played pilots. We could probably use a replacement of everything but the board soon.
Forgot to mention... From Pegasus exp, damage token for Main Batteries is worn that when we damage Peggy, I stack them and ask for a number between 1 - 4 rather than spreading hem out.

Board is no longer crisp and new, but im only worried about components with hidden info.

EDIT: cleanup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice, cards, tokens, boards... As a pack rat preservationist who plays a lot, I find this very disturbing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bear card in Pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Maresh
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My base tiles for Carcassonne are really showing their age. It was our go-to gateway for a number of years. We haven't replaced them yet, though! That's a small matter of debate for my husband and me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight. Several shields and other tokens have been eaten by our dog, frayed at the edges or lost by friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Kingmaker, which I just played is pretty close.
So are Machiavelli, components for The Civil War,
and Titan.

I've also picked up some used games that were well-loved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
UncleDragon wrote:

D&D - My original D20 is very rough.

Oh my. I had the freebies they mailed with the basic set,
which were really low-impact. They came worn out.

Ended up using my dice from a game called Reckon (not in db),
which wore out pretty badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.