Lord of the Rings» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ignoring The Big Eye rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Katie Harris
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I have a question about The Big Eye (the final event in Mordor). My rulebook says this:
"The Big Eye, as shown in the last event in Mordor, causes the game to end instantly. Once encountered, the Big Eye cannot be avoided.

We interpreted this to mean that you must avoid this space at all costs. You must plan carefully to make sure that you won't draw a sundial tile when the event marker is already on the next to last event in Mordor. Once you do draw a sundial, there is no way to save yourselves. The game is lost.

I finally got around to reading the FAQ at http://freespace.virgin.net/chris.lawson/rk/lotr/faq.htm.
These rules allow you to draw a sundial that triggers The Big Eye but still win the game. You can ignore The Big Eye either by putting on the ring or using the Gandalf card called Guidance. Both of these actions allow you to advance on an activity line. The idea is that you advance on the main line and end the scenario, thus getting away from The Big Eye.

I read another thread that talks about rule differences in different editions. (My rules definitely state that you may discard a double star card when you are forced to discard cards of two different symbols, but the FAQ make it quite clear that this is not allowed.)

This seems like a very important rule difference! I was just wondering which way most folks play The Big Eye rule. Do you allow getting away from The Big Eye once a sundial tile has been pulled and the event has already been triggered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
cktjharris wrote:
I was just wondering which way most folks play The Big Eye rule. Do you allow getting away from The Big Eye once a sundial tile has been pulled and the event has already been triggered?

The key to remember is that calling Gandalf and/or putting on the ring interrupt the Event track sequence, so the event doesn't get triggered until those get resolved. You aren't avoiding the Big Eye, you are taking action before activating it - hopefully actions that will finish the main activity track and preclude needing to trigger the final event.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Harris
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Got it. Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.