Subject: iOS Version: Your Winning Percentage vs 2 Strong Opponents? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Fitzgerald

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Carcassonne on my iPhone a lot--typically several games per day. At first I tried playing against 4 AI opponents--one of each skill level--but the outcomes of those games seemed too arbitrary. So I decided to get methodical about it and tried to play each combination of every skill level. Like this:

2 Player games:
vs. Computer Simple
vs. Computer Weird
vs. Computer Evil
vs. Computer Easy
vs. Computer Strong

3 Player games:
vs. 2 Simple
vs. 2 Weird
vs. 2 Evil
vs. 2 Easy
vs. 2 Strong

My experience was that it became fairly easy to win almost all of those 2 player matchups--even against the "Strong" AI. In fact, the 3 players games against combinations of the simple, easy, and weird opponents also turned out to be relatively easy to win.

But then I started playing 3 player games against 2 "Strong" opponents, and things started to go downhill. I chose this setup because it seemed to pose the biggest challenge--and boy did it ever. I think I only win about 25% of the games.

Does anyone else play the iOS version? Have they tried playing vs 2 strong opponents? I'm curious to know what other people's success rate is. Should I expect to be able to beat them with a greater than 50% success rate? Am I just bad at learning from my mistakes?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrtoothdecay wrote:
I play Carcassonne on my iPhone a lot--typically several games per day. At first I tried playing against 4 AI opponents--one of each skill level--but the outcomes of those games seemed too arbitrary. So I decided to get methodical about it and tried to play each combination of every skill level. Like this:

2 Player games:
vs. Computer Simple
vs. Computer Weird
vs. Computer Evil
vs. Computer Easy
vs. Computer Strong

3 Player games:
vs. 2 Simple
vs. 2 Weird
vs. 2 Evil
vs. 2 Easy
vs. 2 Strong

My experience was that it became fairly easy to win almost all of those 2 player matchups--even against the "Strong" AI. In fact, the 3 players games against combinations of the simple, easy, and weird opponents also turned out to be relatively easy to win.

But then I started playing 3 player games against 2 "Strong" opponents, and things started to go downhill. I chose this setup because it seemed to pose the biggest challenge--and boy did it ever. I think I only win about 25% of the games.

Does anyone else play the iOS version? Have they tried playing vs 2 strong opponents? I'm curious to know what other people's success rate is. Should I expect to be able to beat them with a greater than 50% success rate? Am I just bad at learning from my mistakes?

Your feedback is appreciated.
I actually find myself losing more vs. 1 strong AI than vs. 2 strong AI. With the latter, the 2 comps will often gang up on each other that it lets you come out ahead. Vs. 1 strong AI, it focuses soley on getting points and blocking just you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald

San Diego
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience in 3 player games is that you have to share a lot of points with your opponents. I've tried to do my own thing and let the AI's battle it out, but I usually end up in 3rd place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mb
When I play this, I almost always play against 2 Strong and 2 Evil in a five-entity battle. It seems the best and most interesting challenge. The 2 Evils don't usually win, but they do disrupt many of my strategies for taking the lead. I barely eke out a better win rate than the 2 Strongs. I suffer many losses along the way, but when I do win...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.