Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How do you use Account Siphon effectively? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Account Siphon is a love it or hate it card: some think it creates a powerful swing of credits, while others think the drawbacks are too great.

I mainly play Criminal, and I find it hard to get an opportunity to use the card effectively. Corp usually defends their HQ very well, so it's hard to get a successful run in without Sneakdoor. Plus, the corp usually has some way of spending money, such as traces or rezzing ice, leaving little behind for the runner to take.

I was wondering whether or not the correct way to play the card is simply as a way to force the corp to waste money. Essentially, the runner should not look to gain credits from the siphon, but to make the corp spend credits. If s/he does, the runner can jack out and avoid the 2 tags. Essentially it makes it a lose-lose proposition to the corp who must lose money no matter if the runner is stopped or not. The real question is whether this approach yields a real benefit with just straight-up running into the HQ to force some ice to be rezzed, thereby wasting money. Also, does it make subsequent account siphons weaker when the some ice has already been rezzed in front of HQ?

Also, do you think the two tags penalty affect your choice of cards, namely wildsyde and decoy? Does it make Diesel better?

Finally, is the card better suited for other factions, which do not have the HQ as an obvious target?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not looking at the card right now, but if I remember correctly this is a "May" card. Meaning that once you get through the ice you don't have to resolve it's affect and can just access a card instead.

For that reason it's great as a financial swing, especially w/ crash spaces, or if they do dump all their credits, just access a card and forget the credits/tags.

So if my memory is serving me correctly, and it very well may not be, it is a great card however it is used because it is so flexible.

Splashed in other factions this is also a strong card, maybe even stronger because it's not expected as much.

As to your resources, this is a good card to use on your second click so that you can just remove the tags, I'm not sure I would alter my whole deck strategy around this one card. If I was using Diesel I would maybe not be as concerned w/ the tags as if I was using Wildside but either way I can work around the tags.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bancroft
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
Account Siphon is a love it or hate it card: some think it creates a powerful swing of credits, while others think the drawbacks are too great.

I mainly play Criminal, and I find it hard to get an opportunity to use the card effectively. Corp usually defends their HQ very well, so it's hard to get a successful run in without Sneakdoor. Plus, the corp usually has some way of spending money, such as traces or rezzing ice, leaving little behind for the runner to take.

I was wondering whether or not the correct way to play the card is simply as a way to force the corp to waste money. Essentially, the runner should not look to gain credits from the siphon, but to make the corp spend credits. If s/he does, the runner can jack out and avoid the 2 tags. Essentially it makes it a lose-lose proposition to the corp who must lose money no matter if the runner is stopped or not. The real question is whether this approach yields a real benefit with just straight-up running into the HQ to force some ice to be rezzed, thereby wasting money. Also, does it make subsequent account siphons weaker when the some ice has already been rezzed in front of HQ?

Also, do you think the two tags penalty affect your choice of cards, namely wildsyde and decoy? Does it make Diesel better?

Finally, is the card better suited for other factions, which do not have the HQ as an obvious target?



I played someone last week that hit me on turn 2 or 3 and it really set me back as I was just getting some mommentum. I finally got Magnum Opus up and took 6 credits through it just to get hit by another siphon on turn 5 or 6.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Account Siphon lets you pick after you get through all the ICE.

If the Corp has spent a lot of cash on traces, rezzing upgrades or other items, then just access cards from hand.

But if it does go off, it's a 15 credit swing (-5 Corp, +10 Runner). If you've got Crash Spaces already paid for, you can just spend some actions to ditch the tags -- it's not like you won't have time because you knew you were going to play Account Siphon and thus set aside two clicks to clean up the tags.

Even if you spent some of the new wealth to remove the tags, it's still an 11 point swing (-5 Corp, +6 Runner) across 3 clicks.

Plus, you can couple it with any of the following:
Gabriel's ID: +2 credits
Desperado: +1 credit
Datasucker: +1 token {which is at least a credit if not more}
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
norwegiangeek wrote:
I played someone last week that hit me on turn 2 or 3 and it really set me back as I was just getting some mommentum. I finally got Magnum Opus up and took 6 credits through it just to get hit by another siphon on turn 5 or 6.


I believe you may be referring to the NBN card Closed Accounts.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically, all of you are saying you shouldn't play the card only when you're sure you can hit your opponent, but also when you wish to simply force your opponent to spend credits right?

Basically the real use of the card is the threat, not the effect itself. Just like Bank job, where the wished effect is to force ice on every remote server.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bancroft
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleDragon wrote:
norwegiangeek wrote:
I played someone last week that hit me on turn 2 or 3 and it really set me back as I was just getting some mommentum. I finally got Magnum Opus up and took 6 credits through it just to get hit by another siphon on turn 5 or 6.


I believe you may be referring to the NBN card Closed Accounts.


I got the Opus portion wrong. It was a Beanstalk probably.

Anyway, he used the account siphons to hold me down financially for the first half of the game effectively.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
norwegiangeek wrote:
I got the Opus portion wrong. It was a Beanstalk probably.

Anyway, he used the account siphons to hold me down financially for the first half of the game effectively.


Ah, that makes much more sense.

Love your Avatar by the way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.