Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Martin
United States
Overland Park
KS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note:I intentionally did not post this in the Chicago Express forums because I expect that I will get several responses similar to "Just get Chicago Express...", which I want to avoid

So Chicago Express has been on and off my radar for some time now and I recently started considering it again as a potential purpose. It has quite a few features that I like:
- Plays 2-6 players which is a range I am looking for
- Has a stock holding mechanic which I haven't tried as yet
- Has an "alliance" aspect, where you sometimes help other players and then do the opposite in the next round
- Plays in 60-90 mins which is suitable for my game group
- Has theme/mechanics which isn't similar to any of my currently owned games

However, before going ahead and buying this game I wanted to explore other similar games (in terms of the features listed above). I understand that a lot of people's suggestion would be to simply get CE, if it looks like a good match for me, but there are a couple of reasons I decided to ask for other recommendations

First, one of the most enjoyable aspects of BGG (for me at least), is exploring new games, browsing images and reviews and figuring out if its something I might like. So please don't deprive me of this joy by telling me to simply go get Chicago Express.. I have already looked at it and know that I might enjoy it. And if I don't find any better games, I will most definitely buy this one!

Secondly, I want to make the most informative decision when spending money on new games. So if there is another game that I might like better than CE, I would sure like to know about it before putting any money down.

So with that said, do you have any suggestions on what games I can look at?

I know these aren't very similar to Chicago Express, but I have also been looking at Struggle of Empires and Poseidon as potential purchases. Do you have any thoughts on these games? They seem heavier than CE, which I like, but I don't think I will play it as often as CE.

Thanks in advance!
Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of 'other things too look at because looking at things is fun' .... Indonesia. But only plays up to 5 and takes 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to bug Tim Harrison about seeing if he can make any more copies of American Rails. It's a free form version of CE, but very few copies have been made. Doesn't have a mounted board nor game money but I use poker chips.

Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I know these aren't very similar to Chicago Express, but I have also been looking at Struggle of Empires and Poseidon as potential purchases. Do you have any thoughts on these games? They seem heavier than CE, which I like, but I don't think I will play it as often as CE.

Both of these games are much, much longer (3-4 hours). You might take a look at Liberté.

It plays in under two hours (usually, with some minor experience, much less). It plays from 3-6 very well (it might even work with 2, I can't remember). It's got shared ownership, emergent alliances and all kinds of other fun stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
You might want to bug Tim Harrison about seeing if he can make any more copies of American Rails. It's a free form version of CE, but very few copies have been made. Doesn't have a mounted board nor game money but I use poker chips.

Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com

I was going to suggest American Rails. Highly recommended. And in my humble opinion better than Chicago Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on what aspects of Chicago Express appeal to you the most. Other games worth looking into might include:

1. American Rails
2. Pampas Railroads (this one may be a bit too long, but it is also probably the closest to CE)
3. German Railways
4. Paris Connection

You could try browsing through some of the Winsome Game titles.

Or a bit more far afield:

5. Acquire
6. Reef Encounter
7. Clippers

It really comes down to what you like. However, I will put in a plug for Chicago Express. It really is an excellent game. It plays fast, tight, and precisely. There is also an expansion that extends play and adds variability to the experience -- but without changing the core of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hinsdale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Cole Wehrle"]
Quote:

Both of these games are much, much longer (3-4 hours). You might take a look at Liberté.

It plays in under two hours (usually, with some minor experience, much less). It plays from 3-6 very well (it might even work with 2, I can't remember). It's got shared ownership, emergent alliances and all kinds of other fun stuff.

I don't think Liberte works with 2. For that matter, neither does Chicago Express. But König von Siam does. It's similar to Liberte, and plays in about 30 minutes.

Gheos is another quick stock-holding game that works with 2 players. And its theme is even more unusual than that of King of Siam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Chicago Express/Wabash Cannonball. It's a great game and I'd recommend that you go for it.

That said, Imperial and Imperial 2030 have much of the same feel in an entirely different guise (warring nations), but are a bit heavier and lengthier. (I prefer the original, rougher Imperial to the more "balanced" 2030 edition, but much of my group feels differently.)

Stephenson's Rocket is also a game I would recommend to someone looking at Chicago Express. Although the theme and playtime are similar to that of Chicago Express, the gameplay has elements of Acquire. Unfortunately, it only plays 2-4 players (although I wouldn't play Chicago Express with six players anyway -- four players is best for both it and Stephenson's Rocket).

All three games feature stock holding mechanisms and emergent/shifting alliances with no random elements. Stephenson's Rocket is probably the most difficult to understand (although it has the simplest rules) while Imperial is the easiest wrap one's head around (although it has the most complex rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most similar ones I acn think of are:
German Railways
Steel Driver
Steam Barons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was in confusion myself , but decided to go ahead with Chicago Express. Check out the alternatives suggested to me

Will Chichago Express be a good fit for my group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prashantmaheshwari wrote:
I was in confusion myself , but decided to go ahead with Chicago Express. Check out the alternatives suggested to me

Will Chichago Express be a good fit for my group?
How do you like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.