Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Caffee
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Per your request Teale. I have created this tread to shoot you some ideas. Here are some Exec. Privileges card ideas fill free to use any of them.

1. Lame Duck:
Use this power after a campaign contributions have been revealed during the Capital Hill phase.
Select a legislation that must be implemented that turn, use during another player's presidency.

2. Hidden Clause:
Use this power after a campaign contributions have been revealed during the Capital Hill phase.
Cancel any 1 new legislation after the current president has selected his 3 new legislation.

3. Corporate Takeover:
Use this power during the Wall St phase.
Trade one of your built business with any player's built business that has the same startup cost.

4. Double Dipping:
Use this power during the Main St phase.
If there is more than 8 cards left in the consume pile, select any 2 consume cards from the discard pile and shuffle them back into the draw pile.

5. Hush Money:
Take $5 from a player's campaign contribution and add it to another player's campaign or your own campaign. After money has been revealed.

Well I had fun coming up with these. The other idea I had was to change the name of Consumption cards to Consumer Demand cards. Consumers should demand Transportation not consume it. Anyway, just some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Caffee
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other ideas...

I think someone mention this on Kickstarter your business cards have 4 different formats. I agree with the orignal post that you should use the same format, just have the font for the business names be differnt.

Another idea, is your business cards are too plain or in other words have too much white. Either add a watermark to them or just more color.

Also, you use words instead of using icons alot. Try replacing words with the icons they are.

These are some ideas I use when designing games. Please don't take this as critcism but some ideas. I think your game concept is amazing and I can't wait to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing Sacred Games
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Rex, I always appreciate constructive criticism! All of your suggestions are well thought out and delivered in a polite way, so no need to worry about hurting my feelings. Receiving feedback can only improve a game.

My thoughts on your suggestions:

I agree that I went a little crazy with the different business types. A lot of people have complained and many people get confused when they first see the cards. Redoing them after the campaign ends, I will definitely be toning down the differences, probably limiting them to the titles as you suggest.

Again, I totally agree that the business cards are a bit dull at the moment. Ideally they'd each have unique art. Perhaps in the future each business could have a simple but funny logo associated with it.

In previous versions of the game I used icons more to indicate what certain cards did. You'll notice that many legislation cards have images that indicate what they do (a luxury icon on a light blue background to indicate that luxury businesses get extra money, for example). I had that for the business special rules in the past, but many of the special rules are unique to a single card, so using an icon for those was not a good use of space on the card or learning/memory for players. Also, sometimes when businesses have special rules that deal with industries they are not (for example, Phatty Televisions requires its owner to give money to an energy business when it makes money, even though it is not energy), and putting those icons on the cards confused people, making them think a business had industries it does not. So now the business special rules are written out. Are there any other places with text where you thought icons would work better than text?

(Hope that all made sense! Perhaps not my most eloquent writing there.)

Alright, again I really appreciate the feedback, and I hope you get a chance to play the game soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Caffee
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I mean by icons is that players don't want to have to reread something over and over. Check out most Euro-games. They use icons, symbols and images. When you first look at it your like what does all that mean. But you quickly learn what it means and then it becomes so much faster to glance at a card and know what it means then to have to read it again. You don't want explainations on the cards. Use player aids or details in the rules. The less text the better.

I put a bill icon on your legislation card. You would want this on all of them. It actually might be better to have that on the back. Anyway, if you look at the business card you don't have to read what it does you know with just a glance. At first players won't and that's why you want a player aid for the newbies to use, but it will make sense real quick. These keeps it from having the tedious task of rereading the text looking for the key words like: plus $4 and christian legislation. Which is all players need after they have played the game a few times.

I just threw some icons together, I'm sure you can make that look way better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely icons, Teale. I strongly urge you to standardize the cards with icons. Much easier to play that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.