Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after one quick play-through I could see the need for some decent tokens, so I gave it a shot.

I started out by scanning in the back of one search card. I then used The Gimp to crop it down so that I had just the "S" with the "shield" and a little bit of the border. I then re-sized the thing down to 70% of original size and made 4 copies of it within the same jpg file and printed it out on card stock. (So one piece of card stock has 4 of these things on it.

I wanted the tokens to feel like the other items in the game so, knowing I would wind up doing something like this, I had saved the cardboard "stringers" after punching out all of the other tokens. You could use the stringer from a different game or even a cardboard box if you wanted to.

I picked out a stringer that had a lot of "meat" left on it and found enough to make 4 tokens. The stringer I used was the one that had all of the larger sized tokens on it.

The glossy surface would be tricky with glue, so I took 60-grit sandpaper and roughed it up. You don't want to go too crazy - just enough to take the gloss off.

I then took my sheet of card stock with the 4 "token faces" on it and cut out the token faces. I glued these faces to the cardboard stringers in the spots I had roughed up. (I used Tightbond III woodworking glue as I have found it works fantastic for cardboard and paper as well as wood.)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/4kLeIUU3VksiLnICy0O98P...

After the glue dried I used some heavy-duty scissors and cut out the tokens. Steadier hands would have probably gotten me a nicer shape, but I'm happy with the results.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mDCUMTsd8SODfwNV3jNntP...

Here's how it looks "in play."

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vcjxaiY02LhoAL-Sq85W4P...

If you want to be super-fancy, I suppose you could double-side them - maybe one side lighter and one side darker to indicate "has searched" vs "has not" but we just move them onto the player cards (like in the WatchItPlayed videos) after a successful search.

I'm hoping the links to my Picasa Web Album are O.K. (And hopefully I'm not violating any copyright rules.) I'm new 'round here and still trying to sort out the file uploading thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done! I especially like the fact that you used the leftover punched sheets to make them.

Here are the tokens I made for my group. I made them double-sided with an "S" on one side, which denotes a successful search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh! Slick! I like those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a pdf of them to the files section, so it should be up in a week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are they used for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RHPDaddy wrote:
What are they used for?

To mark when a mouse has searched on a tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom. I printed off your tokens on some thin matt card stock, folded them over, stuck them with kids glue and then used black felt tip on the edges. They look great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All these search tokens look great! I'm still debating whether to make some, as I haven't had any trouble remembering who has searched where.

For people looking to use the leftover cardboard frame, like the OP, label sheets stick incredibly well to smooth surfaces, so printing onto full sheet labels and just sticking them on may be easier for some. Good, sharp sewing scissors do a great job cutting out medium weight chipboard, just as the OP mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.