Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Timeline: Diversity» Forums » General

Subject: Are there any duplicates in between this pack and the privious ones? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior Grinzaig
Israel
Givaat Shemuel
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are there any duplicates in between this pack and the privious ones?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to General
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
Avatar
mb
liorg wrote:
Are there any duplicates in between this pack and the privious ones?


Personally, I wish they had not deviated from the themes listed on the tins.

I emailed Asmodee and got this response:

Hello, Like the other stand alone, they are new and unrelease cards.

Regards,

Stefan Brunell
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is like the iPad edition, it may be Arts & Literature, Music, and Monuments.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ukraineboo wrote:
Personally, I wish they had not deviated from the themes listed on the tins.


I agree with you. I was looking forward to a Monuments version, a Music version, etc.

I guess it's possible the product isn't doing as well as they hoped. In Tom Vasel's review, he mentioned the president of Asmodee wanted him to try Timelines stating it would be big (and Tom noted he said a similar thing about 7 Wonders.)

Who knows if this is the case... I don't want to insinuate I know something I don't. But if this is the case, I'm at least thankful they were able to "complete" the set since it sounds like Diversity includes Monuments, Arts & Literature, and Music (the three remaining subjects.)

I really enjoy this game. Maybe the most intuitive rules to explain of any game I own, and it's something everyone seems fairly interested in.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found one duplicate.
Timeline: Inventions - invention of paper
Timeline: Diversity - invention of papyrus
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
I found one duplicate.
Timeline: Inventions - invention of paper
Timeline: Diversity - invention of papyrus


Two different things with different methods of creation, invented a few thousand years apart from each other.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
ralpher wrote:
I found one duplicate.
Timeline: Inventions - invention of paper
Timeline: Diversity - invention of papyrus


Two different things with different methods of creation, invented a few thousand years apart from each other.


They have the same date of invention in the game. I would toss the invention of paper one since it's wrong.

Also I saw the invention of photography being wrong. They have a date after the American Civil War. It's clearly not correct--otherwise Ken Burns would be out of luck.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:

Also I saw the invention of photography being wrong. They have a date after the American Civil War. It's clearly not correct--otherwise Ken Burns would be out of luck.


There's actually been a fair bit of criticism for inaccuracies in the game, thankfully it's nothing a sharpie can't fix once spotted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
I think the camera one is supposed to be motion camera. The inventor is listed in tiny print. So you can look it up. I am wondering if it is not dates they are getting wrong but mistranslations if what is invented.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Meyers
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
ralpher wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
ralpher wrote:
I found one duplicate.
Timeline: Inventions - invention of paper
Timeline: Diversity - invention of papyrus


Two different things with different methods of creation, invented a few thousand years apart from each other.


They have the same date of invention in the game. I would toss the invention of paper one since it's wrong.

Also I saw the invention of photography being wrong. They have a date after the American Civil War. It's clearly not correct--otherwise Ken Burns would be out of luck.


Once again, it's all about asking the right question (and they could have done better at that). George Eastman obtained a patent for the first rolled film camera on Sept. 4, 1888, which is the type illustrated on the card, but that is pretty obscure. Prior to the film camera, there were daguerreotypes and tintypes and wet plate photography (this was the standard during the US Civil War).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ToddlerTN wrote:
Once again, it's all about asking the right question (and they could have done better at that).


I'd say "they could have done better at it" is being quite generous. From where I sit they simply screwed up.

That a patent for a later advance in photography came in 1888 is irrelevant when almost anyone that knows the history of photography would place the card at 1839 (with maybe a few going with 1826-1827).

The only way '88 would be the right date is if the card was a picture of nothing but a roll of film. Anyone seeing a picture of any pre-Polaroid camera is going to assume the card is asking about the invention of photography period.

If a card pictured an early 1900s steam locomotive everyone is going to place it based on the idea of when the steam locomotive itself was invented, not when the particular model pictured was designed.

When even the very top result in Google for this basic question reflects 1939 this isn't really a matter of nuance, it's just shitty fact checking.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Meyers
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
NuMystic wrote:
When even the very top result in Google for this basic question reflects 1939 this isn't really a matter of nuance, it's just shitty fact checking.


I wouldn't do this if you didn't seem so aggressively hostile, but the Google result is actually 1839, which arguably makes your fact-checking shitty. Mistakes happen; hopefully they'll fix them if they hurt the gameplay.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ToddlerTN wrote:
NuMystic wrote:
When even the very top result in Google for this basic question reflects 1939 this isn't really a matter of nuance, it's just shitty fact checking.


I wouldn't do this if you didn't seem so aggressively hostile, but the Google result is actually 1839, which arguably makes your fact-checking shitty. Mistakes happen; hopefully they'll fix them if they hurt the gameplay.


laugh Aggressively hostile? Please read for meaning and leave out the projections of emotionality Todd. Couldn't have been more relaxed while I typed that reply. Thanks for pointing out the typo though. (leaving it unedited lest the conversation lose context)

Quite obviously that was indeed nothing but a typo, being that a few sentences earlier I cited 1839 specifically:

NuMystic wrote:

anyone that knows the history of photography would place the card at 1839 (with maybe a few going with 1826-1827).


This mistake made in the game was obviously not just a typo since it is an actual date related to the history of photography as you pointed out, just not the right one.

Of course mistakes happen, and of course we all hope they'll fix them.

To their credit they've already sent out a number of corrected cards (though not to all who requested them it seems from other posts).

The issue here is that the forum has numerous discussions devoted to similar mistakes in this game line, and unfortunately many of the errors are game breaking when they arise.

Only makes matters worse when an obvious error is caught in-game which then leads to doubts about subsequent cards so players are reaching for their phones to google every contested card from that point forward.

Thankfully the cards are plentiful so it's not a big deal to simply remove the broken ones or take a sharpie to them as a temporary fix until revisions are published. Can seriously derail a game when they haven't been caught in advance though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Commons
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
ToddlerTN wrote:
Once again, it's all about asking the right question (and they could have done better at that).


I'd say "they could have done better at it" is being quite generous. From where I sit they simply screwed up.

That a patent for a later advance in photography came in 1888 is irrelevant when almost anyone that knows the history of photography would place the card at 1839 (with maybe a few going with 1826-1827).

The only way '88 would be the right date is if the card was a picture of nothing but a roll of film.

When even the very top result in Google for this basic question reflects 1939 this isn't really a matter of nuance, it's just shitty fact checking.


I'm gonna have to side mostly with Todd on this one, with only a little bit for Dante. It's not the wrong date, it's the wrong invention. The mistake, however, is in the form of a typo: it's a mistranslation from French to English. Caméra = film camera; appareil photo = photographic camera. Remember, this game company and designer are French. Louis Le Prince first patented a film camera in 1888 also. There also happen to be newer (DSLR) as well as ancient (obscura) versions of cameras. But, no one has complained about failing to use the dates for these.

It is a mistake, but not the date; it's in the type. And Yes, they should hire a translator with half a brain.

Good luck in your games!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Papyrus has been changed to Parchment, but still places it at -200 (Same as Invention of Paper). On the plus side, the invention of the microwave is now English on both sides.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.