Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Picture from bgg user loopoocat.

Ants
Ants are social insects belonging to the Hymenoptera order. Other members of this order are sawflies, bees and wasps. It is estimated that there are 1 million ants per human on earth.
There are around 22.000 species of ants. Ants inhabit nearly all places on Earth, only Antarctica and a few remote islands do not house ants. And there where ants live, they dominate the soil.
Ants live in colonies consisting from workers, soldiers, queens, nurses, drones and some have specialized groups.
Ant societies work collectively for their colony. They have communication between individuals and they are able to solve complex problems.
Some species do know a type of agriculture or some form of cattle breeding. Some leaf cutter ants bring the leafs to the colony to have a fungus growing on it which serves as the species food. Other ants keep aphids to milk honeydew from. The aphids also may be eaten eventually by their keepers.

Myrmes
In the game Myrmes each player runs an ant colony. All player get an own player board with an ants' nest and in the colony there are various rooms where different actions can be performed. A player starts with three nurses and two workers.
In the middle of the table there is a terrain where the colonies will get their food and materials. On this terrain there is also the colony's exit, a hole, and other insects like ladybugs and spiders.

Game play
A game of Myrmes simulates three years, where every round is one of the four seasons. At the beginning of each year three dice are rolled, one die for each corresponding seasons spring, summer and autumn. Winter is a different season, thus a completely different round in the game as well.

Picture of the player board representing the colony. Picture by bgg user Najak.

A round starts with adjusting one action to get a bonus. The value of the die indicates what action has the default benefit for the round. A player can then adjust the action for the bonus by paying with one or more larvae. Possible bonuses are for instance extra larvae, workers or soldiers if they are raised, an extra point when you score or extra steps outside.
Then the nurses are put to work. The player can assign them to raise larvae, soldiers, workers or perform special actions.
The first nurse will produce one larvae, the second and third each two. And for raising one soldier you need two nurses but for two soldier ants three nurses are required. To obtain one worker you need to assign two nurses and for two workers four nurses.
Looking at these numbers, specialization per round is lucrative.

Picture of the game board. Picture by bgg user schizoferret.

Outdoor
If you have workers you can send them outside. Standard they can go three steps outside the nest. When they are outside the worker can do a combination of the following actions; kill an insect, destroy a pheromone tile and place a pheromone tile.
For killing insects the worker has to be accompanied by one or two soldiers, depending on the target. The killed insect will provide food and or victory points. An empty pheromone tile, own or from an other colony, can be removed from the game at the cost of one sand and a new tile can be placed. Pheromone tiles provide the colony access to goods such as food, sand and rock.
On placing a tile the cubes representing the goods on that territories are placed on the tiles. Each pheromone tile can be stepped over in future turns counting as one movement so the range for the worker and soldier ants can be expanded by placing the pheromone tiles. With placing some pheromone tiles points can be gained.
A worker can move across a pheromone tile from another player but only if she is accompanied by a soldier. Ants who go to the outside world never return to the colony.
You may also decide to keep the workers in the nest, but the results of those actions are limited, though you can use the workers next round.

Atelier
A player can also put his nurses to work in the atelier where there are four possible actions. A new hole can be created, new nurses can be acquired, the colony's technology can be upgraded or victory points can be obtained.
Technology advances that can be obtained are such as being able to place larger pheromone tiles and having more storage room in the nest.
On the play board there will be six tiles which display possible ways to get victory points. There are two of three levels. For obtaining victory points you have to sacrifice an active worker and a first time scoring per player has to enter the lowest level, the second of that player may go in the next level. There are in total twenty different tiles so diversity per game is warranted.
A nice thing in scoring points is that if a player follows your footsteps in scoring one tile, you will also get some points, though a few less.
After the atelier has been played, player have to discard resources higher than the number of storage places they have.

Winter is cold
After three normal rounds a winter round is played and during winter the colony still has to be fed. A number of food, per year decreasing, has to be paid. The payment can be reduced by having soldiers, each soldier require one food less to be paid. If there is not enough food for the pay, the player gets reduction in victory points.

Life as an ant can be headbreaking. Picture by bgg user ravinck.

Components
I like the way the components look like. The boards look good and is of decent quality. The little plastic ants look really nice, though you might have to get used to the colors. The yellow or bright blue ants look a bit awkward.
In the game there is a first player token and that is a disappointment. It looks exactly like an insect of prey and they can easily be confused with a trophy ladybug. I therefor swapped the white pawn that keeps track of the year with the first player token. In my eyes that works better.
The barrels representing the nurses would normally be fine but comparing these to the plastic ants they fall flat.
The actions are nicely explained at the boards, that is a real big plus.

Conclusion
Playing Myrmes is very enjoyable to me. The theme is there, you really feel like taking care of the colony and hunting outside for prey or other resources. The food payment in winter can be harsh. In the first year you need to pay four and with a default storage of four this could mean that with bad planning you have to discard all other resources. That can be painful. I also see the dice having influence on the game. In one game I saw a shortage on goods in the other the player had plenty, in that game we could create extra worker ants as the default bonus in the very first round.
I see this game vary. I see interesting choices to make, it is possible to interrupt completely other player's plans by removing a pheromone tile. It is also possible, the game board is nearly big enough for it, trying friendly to evade the other players.
Given the dice and the many scoring tiles Myrmes has a pleasant re-playability.

If you are interested in reading more of my reviews, click here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
boardgamemuse
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I agree. A great and fresh game.

Kudos to the designer and your coverage here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, this one has definitely piqued my interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good, concise review Thorough planning will definitely be rewarded in this game. Myrmes is my Essen highlight (sharing this honor with Keyflower).

ravinck wrote:
There are around 22.000 species of ants. Ants inhabit nearly all places on Earth, only Antarctica and a few remote islands do not house ants.
No ants in Antarctica? Bummer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone tell me what the Atelier represents, thematically? I read the rules to Myrmes, and they were written in such a way that I had a hard time grokking what was supposed to happening in the game, thematically and strategically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellohat
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamorous Mucus wrote:
Can someone tell me what the Atelier represents, thematically?

The atelier is the room housing the queen ant, the genetic heart of the colony. She may decide when to expand the colony, raise an additional nurse or dig an extra exit of the nest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Fernandez Fernandez
Spain
CHURRIANA DE LA VEGA (GRANADA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and what about the replay value of the game? i have read that the replay value is a weak point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellohat
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dantesparda wrote:
and what about the replay value of the game? i have read that the replay value is a weak point

I do not see the replay value as a weak point for Myrmes. The dice set favorable conditions for one of six possible actions on the start of each round, so a game can start differently than a previous one.
Next there are enough victory tiles to set different requirements for victory points, so priorities per game will differ.
And in the game there is room for aggression. With the pheromone tiles you can move towards other colonies. You can even remove a tile from another player. This aggression does not need to enter the game, though you will see a race to the middle of the game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dantesparda wrote:

You have to adjust your style of play according the dice for the spring, summer and autumn. You have multiple possibilites since you can adjust the current event of the season with larvae(assuming you have some larvae to spend). The objectives tiles are always taken randomly at the start of the game, so you'll have to adjust your style of play according to those. Prey token are randomly placed on their places on the board. Also what happens in the garden in each game hugely affects your style of play in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dantesparda wrote:

And don't forget that the prey setup variation will have a huge impact of how to play : lot of spiders around you and you will have to give birth to a lot of soldiers to expand yourself.....or you will have to work in your anthill to find resources and keep your workers from turn to turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoann Levet
France
La Cote Saint Andre
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dantesparda wrote:

Hi! I'm the designer of Myrmes and I confirm the replay value is very high.

Yoann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Fernandez Fernandez
Spain
CHURRIANA DE LA VEGA (GRANADA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the responses
i am happy with that the replay value does not seem to be a problem.
I am really interested in the game.
it is playable with two?
how long takes a play with two players?

We likes hard games like le havre,caylus,etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoann Levet
France
La Cote Saint Andre
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dantesparda wrote:
thanks for all the responses
i am happy with that the replay value does not seem to be a problem.
I am really interested in the game.
it is playable with two?
how long takes a play with two players?

We likes hard games like le havre,caylus,etc.

The game is very good with 2 players. I played it a lot of time against my wife.

The play time is about 45-60 min.

Yoann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carquinyoli

Tarragona
Catalunya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!
The "weight" of the game is 3.4 according to the BGG sheet, which is very close to the 3.6 for Agricola. Village is 3.1 and StoneAge is 2.5.

Once I played Agricola and I was overwhelmed, but I really enjoy Village.

What do you think about the "weight" of the game, is it somewhere between Village and Agricola? or is closer to any of them (which one then)?

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yellohat
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dharzen wrote:
What do you think about the "weight" of the game, is it somewhere between Village and Agricola? or is closer to any of them (which one then)?

I tend to think that it is in between, close to Village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can do many decisions by intuition and yet do really great Village. I actually won my first and only game (2-players) even though I played against a skillful opponent. Playing the game is not brainburning, although you can spend a lot of time analyzing the board just like in any game to bog down the game if you wish so. At least this is how I felt when I played a 2-player game.

I tend to analyze strategies when I'm reading the rules of a game, it really helps me to understand the game better. I have read the rules of Myrmes a couple times and it seems that you can put a lot thought already in the couple first moves of the game. There are many possibilites since you know what is going to happen in the following seasons, and what you do in the previous seasons affects a lot how you should play in the following seasons. In theory you could plan the whole year ahead but what happens on the board may change you plans dramatically and that's why it's not really smart to plan ahead too much. I already see possibilites to block and hurt careless players who are just playing their own game. I think you lose some aspect of the game if you only play with "kind players" who only play their own game.

It seems to me you have to do a little something in every area of the game but the objectives might change your style of play in each game. It's interesting to see how important the objective tiles are in winning the game. The plays will eventually reveal how well balanced some of the different strategies are in the game and if there some strategy superior to others.

Agricola causes a headache. It's an odd game because it's enjoyable and painful at the same time.

I'd estimate Myrmes to be a bit more engaging and demanding than Village but definitely something you can handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose silva
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Artocarpus heterophyllus
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game, my favorite from last year, but I see one flaw in the game: it should have a player privacy screen for the selection of actions. People who are new to the game tend to copy the action selection of the other players when placing the nurses in the planning phase of the turn. Outside of that, like everything else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zezzo wrote:
, but I see one flaw in the game: it should have a player privacy screen for the selection of actions.

True. Too bad I don't have a game with player screens.

I have usually said that you are doing your own thing and so far people just focused on their own board very carefully. It hasn't been a problem in our games but it could in some groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.