Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Possible game idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
comrade pitrovsky
msg tools
Okay, so I was thinking of a conspiracy themed game (think Secret World without magic) and I'd like to run by the rules that I have so far.

1. The main twist of the game is that the cards can "level up" and gain power. So for every battle a card wins, it gains points which allows its maximum dice roll to increase.

2. Cards -- different cards have different strengths (duh.) These are represented by numbers that represent your max dice roll for three categories -- intelligence, speed and strength. if your numbers are 1,2,3 then no matter how high you get in a dice roll, even if you roll 5,6,4 all you get is 1,2,3. As well, cards can be depolyed in formations, with specific cards played together giving boosts. So three of card x and one of card y would each have their maximum roll increased by one when played together.

3. Okay, so now the actual game rules. The object of the game is to defeat the enemy commander, which is also the most powerful card in the game. To do that you have to first fight through the opponent squads. To fight you deploy 3-5 cards from your hand in different formations, with different cards in front and back. A card in back doesn't take as much damage, but can't deal as much, and opposite for a card in front. To actually fight, you roll the die, and a character with a higher roll, wins. The defeated card is discarded. Every time you defeat an enemy you get Morale, which you can use to gain new cards from your deck and place it into your hand. There are duplicates of every card except for the commander, and when the commander is killed the other side wins. As well, you can lose if your whole hand is empty.

Ok . . . so please respond with advice and comments, as well if this post is completely unintelligible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Comradepitrovsky wrote:
Okay, so I was thinking of a conspiracy themed game (think Secret World without magic) and I'd like to run by the rules that I have so far.

1. The main twist of the game is that the cards can "level up" and gain power. So for every battle a card wins, it gains points which allows its maximum dice roll to increase.

Now, I'm not even remotely familiar with Secret World, but this first point makes me nervous. Is this a competitive game? Because I worry about the "runaway leader" problem. A player wins lots of battles, levels up his or her cards, and becomes impossible to defeat.

If this is a cooperative game, with the players fighting against the game, then this probably isn't an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't post your game ideas here! They'll be stolen and published under your nose!

Sounds interesting. How is the level-up measured? Are multiple level-ups possible, or just one per card? (if it's once per card, you could have the different data on the top or bottom of the card).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Comradepitrovsky wrote:

Now, I'm not even remotely familiar with Secret World, but this first point makes me nervous. Is this a competitive game? Because I worry about the "runaway leader" problem. A player wins lots of battles, levels up his or her cards, and becomes impossible to defeat.

If this is a cooperative game, with the players fighting against the game, then this probably isn't an issue.

I forgot to mention, there are ways to solve this problem, by including some sort of "catch-up" mechanic so players who are losing can get back into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia: The Wyld Hunt rethemed? There is a conspiracy to unravel and the other players are trying to hinder you while working to acheive their own goals.

As for "levelling up" there needs to be a counterbalance to this. Otherwise it can potentially fail in non-co-operative games.

This can be something simple like having to pay for the advancement with cards from the hand or deck, or something complex such as a certain number of elements resolved before can advance.

Lots of ways to approach it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Conta
msg tools
designer
Keeping track of what cards leveled up and what cards haven't is a lot of bookkeeping. If this is the way the game will function, you might want to consider making it digital.

Honestly, that component of the game's mechanics reminds me of SolForge (which isn't out yet, but will be next year: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965800643/solforge-digi...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.