David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight Games has posted a preview of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Lair of the Wyrm to their website: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3735
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way they integrated sidequests into campaign. We'll probably be seeing a lot of variants made into sidequest format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy also with the nod to one-shot games. I love the sleekness of the redesign but I see the different scenarios in the base game presented with a much greater concern for the overall campaign than otherwise. It seems to me that a scenario book which offered scenarios "a la carte" would really exploit the new design and get it to the table more often. I hope this is what has been done in the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
So when it says that side quests become valid act I quests does that mean that selecting the side quests counts as one of the three act I quests or that you play the side quest in addition to the three act I quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says that once introduced they serve as available quests, so I'm thinking they replace one of the standard lineup if taken. It's like, here's your normal five choices but also this other one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel A
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
That looks like a good amount of content for an expansion.

I'm not sure about the rumor cards though. What's the incentive for the Overlord to play them at all? Are the quests more difficult than the standard ones? Especially the 'unknown treasures' seems like it's all upside to the heroes. Maybe there is some kind of reward for the Overlord to have rumors in play, but there's no mention in the preview. If it's just the Overlord's choice it would be very strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's that good for heroes. Some items are cheaper at shop than 100G, other items can be useless for given party, even if bought at a bargain price. Players will have about 250-300 gold to spent after quest, so they will be able to check only about half of items - the can just as well miss best equipment and get crappiest one.

Unknown Treasures has potential to completely break shopping phase of heroes(but with luck they can get 500G item for 100G! so they WILL risk it... and probably waste perfectly good money).

As for additional quests - this is doubly good for OL. First of all he chooses which of optional quests he will introduce to players - so he can choose the one heroes are least suited to complete. Also if OL wins a quest he will be able to choose the quest he previously added with rumors. Even if it's not his choice players might get lured into the additional quest - that suits OL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope it will be extra quests as side quests should be.
not instead of normal quest.

El Ravager wrote:
That looks like a good amount of content for an expansion.

I'm not sure about the rumor cards though. What's the incentive for the Overlord to play them at all? Are the quests more difficult than the standard ones? Especially the 'unknown treasures' seems like it's all upside to the heroes. Maybe there is some kind of reward for the Overlord to have rumors in play, but there's no mention in the preview. If it's just the Overlord's choice it would be very strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The true incentive for taking these dangerous paths, however, are the rewards they yield for victory. If a party of heroes manages to hunt down and destroy the Wyrm Queen Valyndra, they’ll be equipped with powerful new artifacts, extra gold, or precious experience as they pursue the overlord in their main campaign!

Extra gold seems to me like "above the one you would normally get". Also sample quest from the page doesn't give any EXP as reward, which would suggest most of the sidequests don't. Thus it's probably not taken instead of other quests, just as an addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noodlemans wrote:
So when it says that side quests become valid act I quests does that mean that selecting the side quests counts as one of the three act I quests or that you play the side quest in addition to the three act I quests?

I don't see anything in the preview that suggests this. It seems like the Overlord plays a Rumor card to add this quest into the campaign.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the fact that no experience is gained is pretty telling. If it were to replace one of the main quests in a campaign, then Heroes would be down two XP by the end of the campaign, having only six total (minimum) by the end instead of eight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They've added an update for clarity.

Update wrote:
[UPDATE: To be clear, side quests are available in addition to standard campaign quests, not in lieu of them. Finishing side quests does not advance the campaign, and any side quest not taken by the time three normal Act I quests are resolved becomes a missed opportunity.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shiny.
Dexter345 wrote:
They've added an update for clarity.

Update wrote:
[UPDATE: To be clear, side quests are available in addition to standard campaign quests, not in lieu of them. Finishing side quests does not advance the campaign, and any side quest not taken by the time three normal Act I quests are resolved becomes a missed opportunity.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great find. I don't know about the rest of you but I can't wait for this expansion. I really, really like v2.

Now the question is what do I do with all my v1 stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noodles
United States
greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's another thought...

Since playing a side quest during Act I triggers the availability of an Act II quest, does that mean that if a group makes it to the Interlude without having played a side quest that Act II will have no entry point of any kind?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
noodlemans wrote:
Here's another thought...

Since playing a side quest during Act I triggers the availability of an Act II quest, does that mean that if a group makes it to the Interlude without having played a side quest that Act II will have no entry point of any kind?

That is the impression that I got, yes. I don't know, though. Perhaps there are Act II Rumor cards that let the Overlord jump into it as if the heroes played and lost the corresponding Act I sidequest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as i understand it, no. it says in the preview that you discard both rumor cards. if you don`t play them.

but there are other rumor cards that could start some other side quest in the second act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel A
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Areinu wrote:
I don't think it's that good for heroes. Some items are cheaper at shop than 100G, other items can be useless for given party, even if bought at a bargain price. Players will have about 250-300 gold to spent after quest, so they will be able to check only about half of items - the can just as well miss best equipment and get crappiest one.

Unknown Treasures has potential to completely break shopping phase of heroes(but with luck they can get 500G item for 100G! so they WILL risk it... and probably waste perfectly good money).

Maybe it's not extremely powerful, but at least it gives the heroes more options. What does the OL get? If the rumors contain only extra choices for the heroes, I don't see any incentive for the OL to play them. Of course there is an incentive in the sense that you want to see all the new expansion stuff, but gameplay-wise there isn't, given the information we have at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of that card is that it makes it so the Shop Phase is more hidden. Suppose your group really wants the Dragontooth Hammer, for instance. Overlord plays the Unknown Treasures card so that all five shop cards go face down, and the group only reveals 1-2 of them. There's a chance the Dragontooth Hammer is in that shop draw but face down, so the Heroes may not get it. It's a big gamble, for both sides, because the Overlord could potentially deprive the Heroes of something that they want, but he could also give them something they want for cheaper. On the other hand, the Heroes could take a gamble and spend good money on something they might or might not want, or play it safe and buy nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaMothe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I think the point of the shopping rumor is not"have extra shopping with weird rules" but "apply weird rules to your normal shopping, possible messing it up."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.