Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What Character Skills Do You Like/Dislike? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Voodoo Chile
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm new to this game, and feel like I'm on the verge of actually being able to beat the solo conquest scenario without the bending of, or liberal interpretations of the rules. One thing, I'm stuck on is how to best pick my characters class skills. So I wanted to ask the pros what their favorite, and least favorite skills are for each character?

Across the characters, there are some broad themes that repeat themselves. Here are some of my noob thoughts on each of these categories. Tell me how I'm mistaken!


Mana generating skills -
I can always find a use for mana, and like these quite a bit. It's probably wrong to take too many of them, but I'm not at the point where I know what colors my character will need the most.

Movement skills
- I always feel short on movement, but somehow I can't bring myself to take these skills, and I think because it's only +1 for non-preferential times of day. Am I wrong to not be taking these?

Ranged/Siege skills
- The more I play, the more I really value ranged and siege attacks. However, it doesn't seem like the numbers on these skills are high enough. Am I wrong to not be taking these?

Influence skills - I hate not being able to do useful things when I'm at a recruiting/training site because I don't have the influence cards in my hand. But I imagine I'd hate it even more to be trying to take on a hard fight and having one of my skills be to do with influence

For the unique character skills, I think I like Arythea's the best. Polarization is great, and being able to turn wounds into an asset rather than a crippling debilitation seems really strong to me. On the other hand, I think I find Norowas' skills to be the weakest.

Thanks in advance for helping me to become a better player!


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree mana-generating skills are some of the most valuable. However, I think you are undervaluing movement. Moving is something you do almost every turn, so the amount of "virtual cards" you get from the move skills is higher than almost any other skill. I would almost never turn down a move skill.

The ranged/siege skills are situational. If you already have ranged/siege attack in your deck they can be helpful in making up the necessary amount for it to be useful. Otherwise you can use them as normal attack. I don't find them to be the best skills, but they are sometimes good.

Influence skills are generally bad, primarily because you likely will only use them maybe once a round. They add maybe one "virtual card" to your deck, which is weaker than most other skills.

I disagree that Norowas' skills are the weakest. Units are very powerful, as they are each a "virtual card." Augmenting their abilities, or even getting an extra unit is quite strong. I believe Norowas' skills somewhat offset his weak unique card. However, I only find this to be true in 6-round scenarios when you have the time to recruit a good number of units.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my thoughts:

The type of scenario and your hero's immediate (and long-term) needs are important factors in your decision of which skills to take.

The crystal + mana token skills are average. You should take them if you are short of crystals. You should take them if you have (or expect to get) a few spells. Otherwise, choose a better skill if you can.

The per-turn movement skills (Double Time, Dark Paths) are excellent. So are the once-per-round movement skills (Prayer of Weather, Flight)

I like most of the per-turn combat skills (Hot Swordsmanship, Cold Swordsmanship, Shield Mastery, Night Sharpshooting, Day Sharpshooting). Night Sharpshooting is better than Day Sharpshooting if you expect to go dungeon crawling. Freezing Power and Burning power are only average.

Of the interactive skills, I like Prayer of Weather and Healing Ritual, but I don't like Mana Exploit and Source Freeze.

Universal Power may be the best skill in the game.

Some of Norowas' skills are weak early on, but great in the late game. Forward March! is often a free Move 3 late in the game, which is outstanding. Bonds of Loyalty is an excellent skill.

The Motivation skills are good in solo play, when you always get the mana.

Tovak's "I Feel No Pain" is the worst skill in the game. Arythea's wound skills (Power of Pain and Invocation) are good, but you need to plan for healing those woulds eventually, otherwise your score will be hurt.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:

Tovak's "I Feel No Pain" is the worst skill in the game.


I disagree here. Being able to ignore one wound per turn can allow you to take wounds early on without healing and not worry about them getting in the way. It's not great late in the game, when you'd rather be healing them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
QBert80 wrote:
MikePustilnik wrote:

Tovak's "I Feel No Pain" is the worst skill in the game.


I disagree here. Being able to ignore one wound per turn can allow you to take wounds early on without healing and not worry about them getting in the way. It's not great late in the game, when you'd rather be healing them.

compare it with other skills. Arytheas Power of Pain does the same but with an additional effect. Most other skills with an per turn efect give you the equivalent of an not-mana-powered basic card. So it is nealy the same if you have one wound + one skill or no wound. (OK, if you have more than one wound th is not as easy but as you can only get rid of one wound per turn it is not an impresive skill in my opinion.)



edit:
For more thoughts about the greatness of the various skills look here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9185184
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maloof

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
QBert80 wrote:
Influence skills are generally bad, primarily because you likely will only use them maybe once a round. They add maybe one "virtual card" to your deck, which is weaker than most other skills.

I'd disagree -- I find these to be surprisingly useful, particularly if there's a monastery available. When you have one you end up interacting significantly more than otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwentn
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:
The Motivation skills are good in solo play, when you always get the mana.

I assumed you never get the mana in solo. Good to know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochile78 wrote:

Movement skills[/b] - I always feel short on movement, but somehow I can't bring myself to take these skills, and I think because it's only +1 for non-preferential times of day. Am I wrong to not be taking these?


I've been getting a lot of use out of them. It's fun when you can get your own movement skill as well as an opponent's movement skill to cover the other half of each day. +3 movement on each turn day or night is pretty huge and lets you attempt some stuff you wouldn't otherwise.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:

compare it with other skills. Arytheas Power of Pain does the same but with an additional effect.


I'm not sure what you mean by this. Power of Pain lets you play a wound sideways as if it were 2 of anything. Feel no Pain lets you discard a wound to draw a card. So the former is better if the card you would draw provides 2 or less of what you need, while the latter is better if it draws you into something like a powerful spell or artifact. I tend to agree that Power of Pain is better, but not strictly so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePustilnik wrote:

Tovak's "I Feel No Pain" is the worst skill in the game.


Tovak skill is very useful in the expansion.
You will get a lot of wounds fighting with General Volkare and very often you will get knocked out. With his skill you can rest pretty fast and that's something very useful in those scenarios.

So each skill is a must have in specific scenarios where in others seem very poor.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maloof

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
QBert80 wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Power of Pain lets you play a wound sideways as if it were 2 of anything. Feel no Pain lets you discard a wound to draw a card. So the former is better if the card you would draw provides 2 or less of what you need, while the latter is better if it draws you into something like a powerful spell or artifact. I tend to agree that Power of Pain is better, but not strictly so.

While that comparison is fair within a single turn, a huge advantage of Arythea's skill over Tovak's is that it doesn't deplete her deck for the rest of the round. Power of Pain and Invocation allow wounds to actually create more power in her deck; Tovak is only borrowing from the future.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Often I'll use the character skills to balance out cards I've added to my deck, rather than focusing on judging them against each other. The starting deck is reasonably balanced, and you want to avoid getting too far away from that. Picked up a few spells and advanced actions but none of them give movement? Take the movement skill. Picked up a movement advanced action? Don't take the movement skill. It seems pretty obvious, but I think it's easy to forget and judge everything in a vacuum when you're new to the game.

There are definitely a few skills that are particularly strong - Universal Power has already been mentioned - and they will reverse this relationship: you take them because they're good and take the advanced actions or spells which will balance your deck out against them.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voodoo Chile
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fluxx wrote:
For more thoughts about the greatness of the various skills look here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9185184


Wow, that's a fantastic link, thanks very much for that. And thanks to everyone else for their replies too. Great discussion!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
Kester wrote:

There are definitely a few skills that are particularly strong - Universal Power has already been mentioned - and they will reverse this relationship: you take them because they're good and take the advanced actions or spells which will balance your deck out against them.


I think Universal Power and Tovak's abilities that can give +2/+3 for a sideways card under special conditions are the best abilities in general because they are always useful.

Under the right conditions I think Arythea's wound skills have the most potential power, though this doesn't always hold.

Overall I think it's more about context and there's no skill I haven't found useful at least once.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Plymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree that the influence bumps are generally less useful. With a good reputation and a once-per turn influence bump skill, you can chain purchase multiple spells/advanced actions/units over a few turns if you have the spare time to do it.

In the game I played last night, I had +1 reputation and the blood mage's skill that gives +3 influence per turn at night. Sitting on a mage tower, I got a spell three nights in a row with promise, threaten, and improvise, and only finished the round with 1 card left unused.

This, of course, is less valuable situationaly, like everything else. I tend to find myself using influence as often as attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.