United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is about to play the Ritual of Shadows Encounter 2, and I just want to make sure I'm not cheating my Heroes with this interpretation. Under Setup, it says that Merick stays where he was in Encounter 1, then he moves 1 space for each fatigue token gained by the Overlord in Encounter 1. After that, it says to remove any monsters from the open groups, then place open group monsters.

Since I have 5 fatigue tokens, I can move Merick onto the first space of the Hallway, which is a 2 x 6 tile. One of my open groups is Shadow Dragons, and since I'm playing with four Heroes, I have both of them. I obviously cannot place them both entirely on the Hallway, since Merick is on part of it. Page 2 of the Quest Guide states...

Descent 2nd Edition Quest Guide, Page 2, Setup wrote:
If there is not enough room on the map tile for all the monsters in the group to be placed, excess monsters may be placed in the closest available empty spaces.

So here's the situation, graphically:

ABCDEFGHIJ
1 OOO
2 OOO
3 OOOOOOOOO
4 OOOMOOOOO

Where Os are open spaces, grey Os are the Hallway, and the brown M is Merick.

So what I'm curious about is can I start by placing one Shadow Dragon on G/H/I 3/4, then by the placement rules be forced to place the second Shadow Dragon on A/B/C 3/4, since it is the closest available space to the Hallway (well, technically tied for closest with H/I/J 1/2)? Or do I do my placement all at once, maximizing the amount of the Hallway that gets covered, essentially forcing me to place one Shadow Dragon on E/F/G 3/4 and the other on H/I 2/3/4?

Edit: here are the two possible interpretations, graphically:

The one I wish were correct
ABCDEFGHIJ
1 OOO
2 OOO
3 SHAOOODRA
4 DOWMOOGON

The one I actually think is correct the more I think about it
ABCDEFGHIJ
1 OOO
2 DRO
3 OOOOSHAAG
4 OOOMDOWON
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I believe what you actually think is correct is actually correct

I've always read it that you have to maximise the tile spaces with the group as a whole, as opposed to placing each figure individually.

Drats eh arrrh

On another note, in your first placement layout, I actually think HIJ12 would be a closer placement than ABC34, seeing all spaces in HIJ12 are within 2 spaces of the hallway, but ABC34 has 2 that are 3 spaces away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I got creamed, as I expected. Immobilized first turn, defeated second turn. Didn't even stand a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch ...well, at least it was over quick

I haven't played that one myself ... but I'm looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're the Overlord, then make sure you really consider the positions of the Flesh Moulders at the end of the first encounter, because it could be paramount for the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Well, I got creamed, as I expected. Immobilized first turn, defeated second turn. Didn't even stand a chance.

Whoa. There's a closed door between you and the heroes (or is it really closed, damn you FFG), you get to move first, past the dragons, and the heroes still immobilized you? Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johhak wrote:
Whoa. There's a closed door between you and the heroes (or is it really closed, damn you FFG), you get to move first, past the dragons, and the heroes still immobilized you? Ouch!

I think the first door is open, but if you get far enough with your fatigue points from E1, you could have the Lt. try to close it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won that quest pretty easily when I was OL'ing it (even though I failed many of my attempts to open doors), but I think that was because the heroes in my case were heavy-hitters but very slow, so I had constructed my deck with the purpose of slowing them down even more, which worked pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
johhak wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

It's open, and you don't get to move past the dragons unless you get all six fatigues from Encounter 1. If you get only five, then you get the situation described above in the initial post.

Indeed, after Merick was Immobilized, I tried to close the door with a Knowledge check from Merick, but I rolled six shields. I wanted to take out Leoric first so he wouldn't be able to just open it again, or if they raised him and he did, they'd only get one or two more shots on Merick.

My Heroes have Ice Storm AND Cripple, so they have two different ways to Immobilize. It's tough to avoid now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, I only remembered after we had already cleaned up that I could have used the Staff of Shadows to reroll the door dice, so I may have been able to last another turn, but I don't think I would have been able to avoid being Immobilized again. For the Knowledge check, I rolled three and three, so if I had used the Staff of Shadows to reroll the grey die, I would have had a 2/3 of passing it. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puff TMD
msg tools
I'm just playing this now and I'm confused. You get to move Merick let's say 3-4 spaces with fatigue. Then you go first and can move him 8 more - well past the shadow dragons? What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
PuffTMD wrote:
I'm just playing this now and I'm confused. You get to move Merick let's say 3-4 spaces with fatigue. Then you go first and can move him 8 more - well past the shadow dragons? What am I missing?

If I remember right, the Overlord only gets to move first if he won the first encounter. If he didn't win the first encounter, then the heroes go first, and they can easily defeat Merick on turn 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puff TMD
msg tools
Unfortunately, no - "Regardless of who won Encounter 1, the heroes skip their first turn." Since the heroes are placed on the exit, Merick has at least 11 spaces headstart. He has the Staff of Shadows to reroll, so the chance of getting stuck at a door is remote.

I feel like I'm missing something, 'cuz I just can't imagine an OL loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, you're right. I must have gotten it mixed up with the rule from The Desecrated Tomb. Well shoot, I bet things would have gone differently for me if we had played that one right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Puff TMD
msg tools
Well, THAT'S not what you were supposed to say! LOL I wanted you to tell me where *I* was going wrong! I've soloed this on Vassal a few times, and the heroes simply have no chance - and I mean as close to zero as I've seen in this game.

I'm really hoping someone will find my mistake - and I'm hoping I'm making one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Blaha
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
What a Terrible Night to Have a Curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this encounter tonight. Our group rotates players between heroes and OL every session, so we are well versed in how both sides play. The monsters were chosen through a monster randomizer, so large hallway-blocking monsters could not be chosen by default. Even so, the heroes did not stand a chance. By the time we got to the search token beyond the first door, the OL had won. The most lopsided loss the heroes have faced in the campaign...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.