Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Intern needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: slavery [+] [View All]
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just scanning rules to E mail to a friend for a game next week and it was really quite boring. So I started thinking that I could use somebody to do stuff like that. Interns don't get paid so that seems like the way to go.

So my question is where do I get an intern to do stuff like scan rules and maybe paint miniatures, set up games etc.? Maybe a Euro gamer hoping to break into Wargames? What do you all think?
11 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I lived near you my 12 year old would do it lol. Of course, you'd have to game with him, but no worries, we're quite a ways away.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
If I lived near you my 12 year old would do it lol. Of course, you'd have to game with him, but no worries, we're quite a ways away.

I'm sure that your 12 Y/O is an exception. But the reports I get from my friends who have children, suggest that they mostly break and ruin things. And can not be made to do anything other than play with the Xbox.
so I had not thought of using a child.
Has anyone here had any experience of getting useful work out of a child?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Has anyone... had any experience of getting useful work out of a child?

This any help?

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
where do I get an intern to do stuff like scan rules and maybe paint miniatures, set up games etc.?

You'll want to advertize for someone with extremely low self-esteem.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you haven't been around here long enough to meet Hellhammer, Kuhrusty's daughter.



image by kuhrusty


15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
She looks thrilled to be doing it too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
She looks thrilled to be doing it too.


Exactly. This is what child labor is all about.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto Fu
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
She looks thrilled to be doing it too.


Not only that, she looks as if she knows exactly what she's doing, unlike me. blush
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I once hired a summer intern just to scan my old negatives and convert them to digital format. A very monotonous job that occupied the young chap for 3 months! Yes, it was a very fast scanner!

For interest it cost me US$1200 for the 3 months, which was certainly worthwhile.

Another suggestion is,

That's what wives are for! I married mine so I'll have someone stick stickers on them command and color blocks for me. I told her so just the other day.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:


That's what wives are for! I married mine so I'll have someone stick stickers on them command and color blocks for me. I told her so just the other day.


...and now she's filing for divorce?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:


So my question is where do I get an intern to do stuff like scan rules and maybe paint miniatures, set up games etc.? Maybe a Euro gamer hoping to break into Wargames? What do you all think?


Put an ad in S & T
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
Garfink wrote:


That's what wives are for! I married mine so I'll have someone stick stickers on them command and color blocks for me. I told her so just the other day.


...and now she's filing for divorce?


No, she enjoyed sticking the stickers more then the game
9 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
I once hired a summer intern just to scan my old negatives and convert them to digital format. A very monotonous job that occupied the young chap for 3 months! Yes, it was a very fast scanner!

For interest it cost me US$1200 for the 3 months, which was certainly worthwhile.

Another suggestion is,

That's what wives are for! I married mine so I'll have someone stick stickers on them command and color blocks for me. I told her so just the other day.


No I'm looking for the type of intern that works for free.(Though could conceivably allow to sleep under one of my game tables.)

Wife not an option already have her mowing the lawn and washing cars.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

There are some threads where its a shame you can only give people one thumb. Thanks for cheering up my morning
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If anybody can do it, it would be Tom Sawyer, and he'd get profit out of it too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The real answer is cloning! When the odious tasks are divided among ourselves it would make everything easier! Plus we'd have a large group of gamers that have the exact same taste in games and style that we have!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RogCBrand wrote:
The real answer is cloning! When the odious tasks are divided among ourselves it would make everything easier! Plus we'd have a large group of gamers that have the exact same taste in games and style that we have!

This would not work as my clone would balk at all the same tasks I do not like.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

There are some threads where its a shame you can only give people one thumb. Thanks for cheering up my morning


Well, there IS the option to tip GeekGold to show that extra appreciation...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! It makes me think of Calvin, of the Calvin & Hobbes comic, when he and his clones were all arguing with each other.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
I was just scanning rules to E mail to a friend for a game next week and it was really quite boring. So I started thinking that I could use somebody to do stuff like that. Interns don't get paid so that seems like the way to go.

So my question is where do I get an intern to do stuff like scan rules and maybe paint miniatures, set up games etc.? Maybe a Euro gamer hoping to break into Wargames? What do you all think?


The answer is, you don't.

1. Scanning rules - just quit that. Photocopy some tables or a quick reference chart for the players in the game and leave it at that.

2. Painting miniatures - just quit that too. If Fernando Enterprises in Sri Lanka is too expensive for you, get the local community college business development people to help some local painters to start a Fernando Enterprises type operation in Medford. Let them paint some of your "lead mountain" for practice before they get their international mail order business going. Then just buy already painted miniatures.

3. Setting up games - just quit that as well. Cardboard wargames with scenarios are your friend. Or take the published scenarios in a cardboard game and put the pre-painted miniatures on the table to play those. If you still like to play with miniatures, but don't want to create the games anymore, just attend several miniatures conventions a year and play in other people's games.

Bottom line is, if you are wargaming, especially with miniatures, you'll be spending money on something, even if it's just the petrol to get you to somebody's else's game.

Then again, there might be drugs in Southern Oregon strong enough to help you create a split personality, with one of your personalities being willing to be an unpaid intern for the other.
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren,
Quote:
1. Scanning rules - just quit that. Photocopy some tables or a quick reference chart for the players in the game and leave it at that.

1. The reason I scan rules is in the hope that given time they will start learning the rules and I won't have to!

Quote:
2. Painting miniatures - just quit that too. If Fernando Enterprises in Sri Lanka is too expensive for you, get the local community college business development people to help some local painters to start a Fernando Enterprises type operation in Medford. Let them paint some of your "lead mountain" for practice before they get their international mail order business going. Then just buy already painted miniatures.


2. You may have an idea there.

Quote:
3. Setting up games - just quit that as well. Cardboard wargames with scenarios are your friend. Or take the published scenarios in a cardboard game and put the pre-painted miniatures on the table to play those. If you still like to play with miniatures, but don't want to create the games anymore, just attend several miniatures conventions a year and play in other people's games.


3. I was talking about cardboard games. They often require looking for a specific hex to place a specific unit in. This can be tedious. OOTH with mini games we just put a screen down the middle of the table and each side sets up their own stuff. I have not figured out a good way to have them set my stuff up too. but no system is perfect.

Quote:
Then again, there might be drugs in Southern Oregon strong enough to help you create a split personality, with one of your personalities being willing to be an unpaid intern for the other.


I'll look in to that. But the main thing we produce around here is Crystal. Which I understand mostly just makes you want to tear out all the tiles in the bathroom and count them over and over again.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Has anyone here had any experience of getting useful work out of a child?


Yup.

15 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Has anyone here had any experience of getting useful work out of a child?


Yup.



You let them TOUCH your Case Blue? Aaaaargggh,
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.