Subject: C&C Scenario: Miyajima rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm supposed to be finishing a major assignment but I'm bored out of my scone and this is my mental diversion.

Looking for interesting battles to keep up variety and this one certainly fits the bill. The Mori also feature prominently in Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan and I found it interesting to explore this important event in the clan's history. In both a traditional painting and modern photos (both in a following post), Itsukushima Shrine is very clearly on the waterfront. It suited the tactical goals of the scenario to position it where I've put it but as the sacred ground special rule effectively extends the shrine precinct to the seashore, I'm happy to leave it as is. Maybe the pagoda in the photo's background represents the central site depicted by the shrine tile.

I think the unit numbers will fit with the base game but river tile proxies will be needed to represent the sea hexes.

I'd also note, because it's not so clear here with the divided Mori forces, that following convention from the official scenarios the red baseline is at the top of the map and the yellow is at the bottom.

Brent.

Battle of Miyajima 1555

In 1555, Mori Motonari rebelled against Sue Harukata, the powerbroker behind the Ouchi clan, of whom the Mori were previously vassals. Motonari built Miyao Castle on a hill on the sacred island of Miyajima, near Itsukushima Shrine, and spread rumours of its vulnerability in order to lure Harukata into a trap.

Harukata took the bait, and in October 1555 made an amphibious assault on Miyao Castle. While Motonari took advantage of Harukata’s absence to seize his stronghold on the mainland, he sent his three sons to trap the enemy on Miyajima. His two eldest sons, Kikkawa Motoharu and Mori Takamoto, landed surreptitiously on the east of the island and marched overland, while Motonari’s youngest son, Kobayakawa Takakage, landed before the castle with a small force to make a frontal assault on the Ouchi troops. Caught by surprise between the two Mori forces, the Ouchi routed, some drowning trying to swim to the mainland. Many of the others committed seppuku, including Sue Harukata.

To restore the sacred site, Motonari had the entire battlefield cleansed of blood and removed all bodies of the fallen to the mainland, where Sue Harukata was afforded an honourable funeral and burial. The Mori became the preeminent clan of western Honshu and the Battle of Miyajima established their reputation as naval strategists.

Mori Samurai Army (Red)
Move First
Command Cards - 5
Dragon Cards - 2
Honor & Fortune - 8

Ouchi Samurai Army (Yellow)
Command Cards - 4
Dragon Cards - 2
Honor & Fortune - 6

Victory
5 Banners
At any time that an Ouchi unit occupies the Miyao Castle building hex,
the Ouchi player takes a Victory Banner, which he keeps only so long as he
occupies the castle hex.

Special Rules

* Sacred Ground
Any time a battle or battle back roll inflicts a block loss on an enemy unit that is within 3 hexes of Itsukushima Shrine,
including the shrine hex itself, the commander of the unit inflicting the block loss must discard one H&F token for each block destroyed.

* Seashore
All river tiles represent ocean hexes and are impassable.

Edited to clarify Sacred Ground rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mid - 19th century scroll painting depicting the Mori amphibious assault on Miyajima.

Modern photo of the waterfront Itsukushima Shrine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of battles I have been looking at that are naval invasions requiring ocean and beach terrain. Miyajima is a great example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:

* Sacred Ground
Any time an army inflicts a block loss on an enemy unit within 3 hexes of Itsukushima Shrine,
including the shrine hex itself, the attacking commander must discard one H&F token for each block destroyed.

Just because I play with rules lawyers, I can see a problem here. The rule needs to cover Battle Back, and be clear it is the enemy of the unit that loses blocks that loses the H&F token (assuming that is the intention). As written, arguably the 'attacker' would lose H&F tokens in their battle, and again on the Battle Back of the 'defender'.

There is also the case where one unit is 4 hexes away, battling a unit that is 3 hexes away. Is it if either is within 3 hexes, or just the unit losing the blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
goshublue wrote:

* Sacred Ground
Any time an army inflicts a block loss on an enemy unit within 3 hexes of Itsukushima Shrine,
including the shrine hex itself, the attacking commander must discard one H&F token for each block destroyed.

Just because I play with rules lawyers, I can see a problem here. The rule needs to cover Battle Back, and be clear it is the enemy of the unit that loses blocks that loses the H&F token (assuming that is the intention). As written, arguably the 'attacker' would lose H&F tokens in their battle, and again on the Battle Back of the 'defender'.

There is also the case where one unit is 4 hexes away, battling a unit that is 3 hexes away. Is it if either is within 3 hexes, or just the unit losing the blocks.

Thanks Mark,

There's a precedent in the wording of a number of Dragon cards that the attacker is not the active player but the one rolling the dice....so a unit battling back is attacking.

The intention was that honour and spiritual favour is lost for spilling blood and defiling shinto sacred ground......so H&F is lost when the target takes hits in the 3 hex sacred radius, no matter where the attacker is.

I'll take another look at the wording.

Brent.

Edit.....fixed....and I hope I'm not one of those rules lawyers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Murdock
Germany
flag msg tools
Great!
How did you create the scenario map? With Picture Publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
denwasan wrote:
Great!
How did you create the scenario map? With Picture Publisher?

I use the Vassal module and pull the map from a screenshot function which is available in Vassal.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've given a tip and a thumbs up.

I think Richard B. and Zvezda should be sending you presents. You're keeping this game alive and moving when the company doesn't seem to be doing anything.

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
Well, I've given a tip and a thumbs up.

I think Richard B. and Zvezda should be sending you presents. You're keeping this game alive and moving when the company doesn't seem to be doing anything.

thanks

Thanks Kevin,

I'm sure there's a wealth of C&C material already available and playtested by RB & co., as there reportedly is with the many genres explored by the C&C team. I expect it will appear.....it may just take some time working through a different company and a different production model. We'll see.

I feel a bit cheap throwing these out unplaytested (no time yet, which will be rectified in a few weeks ). This scenario, for example, I suspect may favour the historical loser and need tweaking. However, considering the current paucity of available scenarios for such a promising system, I don't feel too bad about it. If anyone who has played out the official offerings does want to try them out, I'd be very interested and receptive to feedback, and will be modifying them based on that on and my own playtesting. Let's hope I'll just be able to discard them soon when official versions are produced.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wm Moreau
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Just a note to say thank you for the work you and others have done to bring this game to life. I am new to this one and thus far enjoy it immensely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.