Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally done with the editing, you can grab a copy from our feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/ElderThingsPodcast or download directly from Cardgamedb.com.

Here's the deck listing we talk about in the episode:

Syndicate_Skill_ElderThings002

Characters: 29
3xClover Club Bouncer
3xClover Club Torch Singer
3xTattoo Artist
3xJohnny V's Dame
3xTriggerman
2xBrazen Hoodlum
2xFugitive Scientist
3xMr. David Pan
3xFixer
2xPeter Clover
2xHack Journalist

Events: 11
3xFeint
2xHanyatl's 12:3
2xIntimidate
2xEldritch Nexus
2xLike a Moth

Supports: 10
3xParallel Universe
2xCrowbar
2xTear Gas
3xBound and Gagged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I'm looking forward to giving it a listen, probably this afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, looks like our feed is running a bit behind for some reason. Anyway, the direct download is working and hopefully the feed will catch up later in the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm attempting to track down why the feed hasn't refreshed yet but until then here is the direct link to the podcast on CardGameDB
Elder Things Podcast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed listening to this. Would "Unorthodox Tactics" have a place in this deck, or would that just be overkill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just getting into the LCG, so I snagged both your episodes to give a listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFaust wrote:
I'm just getting into the LCG, so I snagged both your episodes to give a listen.

I was ignoring this podcast until now. I didn't know David was a part of it, your noob strategy articles helped kickstart me into the game. Will download tonight. Is there a direct link for the first one?

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KirovThug wrote:
I enjoyed listening to this. Would "Unorthodox Tactics" have a place in this deck, or would that just be overkill?

Unorthodox Tactics causes skill to resolve first, and then you can decide if you want to skip any of the regular struggles (which resolve afterward). If you're at a David Pan/Alternate Universe story, you'd never want to skip them because if you won skill you'd win all the others too. So, that would place this card as an emergency sort of card primarily. I haven't tried it, but the idea would be that if your deck isn't getting its usual thing going you can still make skill "work" somewhat, maybe carrying you along until you do get those other cards in play.

Seems reasonable to try out, if you do write back and let us know how it worked out for you.

Jorune wrote:
DrFaust wrote:

I was ignoring this podcast until now. I didn't know David was a part of it, your noob strategy articles helped kickstart me into the game. Will download tonight. Is there a direct link for the first one?

Yes, you can get all the episodes by direct download from here:
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/podcasts/_/elder-things-...

Glad to have you aboard as a listener

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
Canada
Bethany
ON
flag msg tools
I'm diggin' it. Great new show - so much info packed into an episode - I really appreciate it. I've learned alot and I don't get my copy of the game 'til next week. Can't wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Anderson
United States
New Brighton
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Another quality podcast from you guys. Well done.

Thanks for recommending the hppodcraft.com site. I hadn't heard of it before.

Keep it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, can I ask you guys a question?

We were reviewing the episode audio and thinking that it might be a bit too "choppy" without enough pauses in it. The upside of that is that it takes less space and time, but compress things too much and it can be a bit harder to listen to.

What do you guys think? It doesn't really impact our editing effort much either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were times that Drew was talking and I got concerned because he never seemed to have time to inhale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
What do you guys think? It doesn't really impact our editing effort much either way.

I like to hear breathing space in my podcasts. The dialogue flows more naturally.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say I found myself wanting more distinct separation between topics: at least a significant pause, if not a musical sting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great second episode. One piece of advice I'd like to offer is something I often hear on other podcasts, where the podcasters reintroduce themselves every episode, because every episode can be the first one for listeners.

The Syndicate deck you discussed resembles the one I played at the Euro Championship in Liège quite closely:

Character
Clover Club Bouncer x3
Clover Club Torch Singer x3
Johnny V's Dame x3
Tattoo Artist x3
Lady Lu Chu x2
Elite Hit Squad x2
Marcus Jamburg x3
Mr. David Pan x3
Fixer x3
Jon Pechon x2
Hack Journalist x3

Support
Bound and Gagged x3
Parallel Universe x3
Dutch Courage x2
Ice Shaft x3

Event
Feint x3
Intimidate x3
Tear Gas x3

In retrospect, I would probably change some of the characters, taking out Jon Pechon, which I didn't play because of the 3 cost, and Lady Lu Chu, who'm I put in for some added punch, but she didn't really perform all that well.

One card that I can recommend however is Marcus Jamburg. He's not that cheap with a cost of 3, but being able to put support cards back into play from your discard is often handy, especially combined with Ice Shaft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, glad you liked it. Good point on the introductions, hadn't really thought about it but it's obvious once pointed out And, we'll take less of a heavy hand on snipping out the silence from here out to try to keep it more natural sounding too, even if it does end up slightly longer to listen to.

Yep, Jamberg + Ice Shaft goes well into almost any deck. Actually one earlier version of the deck did have him in there but we decided that the deck had enough Neutrals already and he didn't really add anything to the educational value of the deck being there (we already had other cards to kill low-skill guys). Plus, both of these cards want a 3-domain and nothing else in the deck really does so it's costing you an extra resource card to use them.

This would likely be a little later on, but at some point we will likely do an article on small colorless 1-2 card chunks that can fit into most decks. It would include things like Jamberg+Ice Shaft, Master of the Myths, Snow Graves, Black Dog, Dreamlands Fanatic, etc... Call it "the mix-ins" or something like that. But, there are a lot of in-faction themes that I think we want to do first.

I do like Lady Lu Chu, but she's an icon girl and when you're trying hard to avoid stories running on icons I can see how she might not fit. She's great in a more general or exhaustion themed Syndicate deck though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
Hey, can I ask you guys a question?

We were reviewing the episode audio and thinking that it might be a bit too "choppy" without enough pauses in it. The upside of that is that it takes less space and time, but compress things too much and it can be a bit harder to listen to.

Hey David, really like the show. I just started listening so I downloaded the previous episodes for my commute. I didn't know what was going on in episode 2, it sounded like someone went crazy with the editing tools. I guess this explains it. Thumbs down on the compression. The content was great, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.