Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Neumeyer
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Noticed only one review for Dust Warfare so I thought I'd put one up from a miniature gamer's view.

To put some perspective to this review, I've played/still play the following games: Warmachine, Malifaux, Infinity, Warzone, Warhammer 40k and Dystopian Wars.

This review is based on five games, using the revised core box set, the rulebook, and 3 extra unit/vehicle boxes per side (Heavy tanks included). I own amble terrain, and for the last two games most of the models were painted.

The Good:

thumbsup The Theme: If you're into the Weird War 2 theme, your going to have a blast. The models match it well, and the tanks especially stand out. I found the history in the book a little bland, but hopefully it's fleshed out a bit in the expansions.

thumbsup The Models: The walkers in this game look great, and compared to other games are a steal for the price. $30 will get you a massive tank, with all the possible weapon load outs. Also, everything comes pre-primed.

thumbsup The rules: It's designed by Andy Chambers who has a pretty good name in the miniatures world. The system brings some interesting ideas forward, and once you play a few games it's simplistic enough that you won't have to reference the rulebook too much.

Dust Warfare units can react during your opponents turn which is a great idea, and suppression can make a huge difference. The rules lend itself more to a "Suppress and outflank" style of gameplay.

Also included is a scenario builder which has players distributing points before each match to determine deployment, fighting conditions, and objectives.

The Bad

thumbsdown Lack of reference sheets/cards: Each unit comes with a Dust Tactics card, but they don't have any for Dust Warfare. I know the game came out after most units hit the shelf, but Fantasy Flight should have some for download.

The first games will involve a lot of referencing the rules (more then other games). Lets say I want to shoot, first I check the book for the unit, then figure out how many shots I get. Then I have to check up the weapons in that unit for special rules, then check any special rules for the unit (Ie Fast, zombie, ape). If all this info was listed under the unit, it would cut down reading during the first few games significantly.

This is pretty much forgotten once you download the quick reference sheets on BGG, or do what we did and make our own unit cards.

thumbsdown Snipers: Snipers in this game are too powerful, and need to be fixed. When deployed they hit on misses (four sides of the six sided dice. Most units hit on two sides of the six sided dice). Ignore cover, armor and have two to three times the range of any other unit. We ran into a problem where I picked up a sniper and my friend didn't and he was at a huge disadvantage. It's not game breaking, but should be fixed at some point.

thumbsdown Force Organization: I didn't like this, but some people might disagree. Each army has three possible command unit (one is included in the dust tactics boxed set). The three different command units use different vehicles/squads. It's possible if you buy units without reading, you simply will not be able to use them. Not the end of the world and common in other games, but the fact that the command squads in the box set simply cannot use medium tanks (the most common tank for sale at stores), was annoying.

The Ugly

thumbsdownthumbsdown The models: While the vehicles are great, the actual units use a very cheap plastic. The plastic is very soft, and warps out of the box. If you've got some patience you can fix it, but having a bunch of rifles curved out of the box is inexcusable.

thumbsdownthumbsdown Typos: It was addressed in another review, but the book is riddled with them. You'll figure them out pretty easily, but still...

Conclusion

It sounds like I don't like this game, but I honestly love it. It's got some issues, but they are all fairly easy to overcome. It's a great entry for people who want more then a skirmish game, but don't want to break the bank. I doubt it's going to give any of the major companies any stiff competition, but it's still great.

Grab the book and split the boxed set with a friend. You'll have two armies, and the rulebook for about $45 each, which compared to most miniatures game this size is chump change.

The Future
This game will hit the table in the future, with some regularity. I hope that fantasy flight continues to expand it (which according to their site is happening frequently as of Nov 2012). The game only has three factions which might deter some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realise Andy Chambers wrote this. He was a name in the good old days of Games Workshop wasn't he?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I play this game, I love it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Lack of reference sheets/cards: Each unit comes with a Dust Tactics card, but they don't have any for Dust Warfare. I know the game came out after most units hit the shelf, but Fantasy Flight should have some for download.

But they DO have put reference sheets for all three factions available on their website, in the "unit sheet" documents. They have put those on there about 2 to 3 months after the game was released (i don't remember the timing exactly).

http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=173...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find these unit cards I made handy: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/13964498/1/Dust%20Warfare%20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bishop
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Those are gorgeous! Nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are great ... you have absolutely convinced me to go all-in on this (ordered a 450 pt SSU army) and introduce it to my wargame club ( www.nycwargames.com ). Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rodney. I tried to download the pictures, but you need to click on each one of them separately and save it, or you get a low-res version.
Is there an easier way to do this?

BTW: I LOVE Watch it played. It helped me after I got Mansions of Madness, and watching you play cleared up so many things. And I have fond memories of Harvey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KlausScharpf wrote:
Hi Rodney. I tried to download the pictures, but you need to click on each one of them separately and save it, or you get a low-res version.
Is there an easier way to do this?

BTW: I LOVE Watch it played. It helped me after I got Mansions of Madness, and watching you play cleared up so many things. And I have fond memories of Harvey

Sadly, I don't know of an easier way. A bit tedious, I agree! Thanks for the really nice comment about the series. Harvey was THE MAN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Pettengill
msg tools
Very nice cards. thumbsup Is SSU not in the rule book? I am still waiting for mine to ship. Also for the cards, A ZIP or RAR file of the cards would be a nice touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SSu were not out when the first rulebook was released, but there are expansion rulebooks out with their stats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.