24 Posts

Escape: The Curse of the Temple» Forums » Rules

Subject: Per Action reroll question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Now I havn't gotten the game box yet, and I'm working from the 6 page draft rules pdf file.

-These rules say that you take one roll, set any aside and proceed,
requiring a (constant) reroll at the beginning of each phase.

-Oughtn't the rules state that one MAY reroll dice, at the end of each action (for the next one), as:

-the number of presently usable dice falls outside of applicability,
continuing forward to the next phase,

INCLUDING

-the number of applicable dice set aside?

-What happens if you score an entirely non applicable roll within one action? Are you required to proceed past that action having done nothing during it?

-Are you allowed to arbitrarily skip actions, still performing them in their stipulated order?

-[and a silly one], What happens if a player chooses to set all dice aside, and arbitrarily won't use them (including any black mask rolls)?

-Does the published rules address all these? Does one reroll as particularly required, or as defined by ruling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, IIRC, the english rules had a poor wording which implies that you *must* reroll after every action you take, when in fact, it's optional. So after an action, if you've still got unused dice that would let you immediately do another action, you can go ahead and do that other action if you like, or you can choose to reroll any number of your dice (which must include the previously used dice).

Again, IIRC, this was more clear in the dutch rules, which didn't have the strange wording
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you can't apply your dice roll that action, are you required to proceed past that action doing nothing (skip it)?

Are you allowed to just decide to pass an action doing nothing arbitrarily, say, to do more exploring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Geens
Belgium
Langdorp
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
If you can't apply your dice roll that action, are you required to proceed past that action doing nothing (skip it)?

Are you allowed to just decide to pass an action doing nothing arbitrarily, say, to do more exploring?

An action is always optional. Most of the time you have some action in mind and you roll the dice until you have the pattern required to perform that action (e.g. you intend to explore and so you roll the dice until you get two 'adventurer figures'). Yet once you have rolled that pattern you're not required in any way to perform the action you had in mind. Until the moment you 'use' the dice you can change your mind in any way you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
watch the video here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21938/escape-the-curse-of-the...

it will give you an idea of the pace of the game and how to roll and use the dice. Basically you can roll and roll and roll and never do anything (except not rolling black dice), but as someelse already said you usualy roll with an action in mind (ie- i need a torch and a key, so im rolling until i get that combo and se aside any die with this combo, maybe a yellow mask to save in case of black dice).

Don't overthink it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed. I forget that there is no strict turn alternation; one simply plays the game by looping through the 5 actions in order; choosing to do something in each action phase as one wishes and as one may. One doesn't wait for another player to complete one pass of the 5 actions necessarily at all (however if you want to trade in the same room to do some action, one might choose to wait somewhat).

My question goes as follows;

-During any particular action phase, where one has any amount of active, non black, non reserved (saved) dice, may one do more than one (re) roll per action phase? Or MAY one progress silently through subsequent action phases doing nothing, using each dice roll opportunity per phase, reserving a particularly successful roll, and similarly "wait" through however many action phases and re-loops from 5 to 1, until one hits their desired action phase again (Is the latter case really what happens)?

As per the final published printed rules?

-The draft game rules state there's no such game mechanic as a turn. So what is each re loop, after action 5 to action 1 again, particularly called?

-When you start playing the music soundtrack, does the first dice roll start when one presses play, or when the soundtrack first quotes "ESCAPE"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is a pretty simple game; pretty simple rules; those are pretty "detailed" questions as such.

But, yes, you start rolling dice when the guy says "escape!". There are several different recordings to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
-During any particular action phase, where one has any amount of active, non black, non reserved (saved) dice, may one do more than one (re) roll per action phase? Or MAY one progress silently through subsequent action phases doing nothing, using each dice roll opportunity per phase, reserving a particularly successful roll, and similarly "wait" through however many action phases and re-loops from 5 to 1, until one hits their desired action phase again (Is the latter case really what happens)?

-The draft game rules state there's no such game mechanic as a turn. So what is each re loop, after action 5 to action 1 again, particularly called?

Is there anyone who may answer these two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
Quote:

Is there anyone who may answer these two?

There are no action phases, you just roll and do actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
per action Reroll Question
The action "steps" must occur one at a time in order, and when finished start again from their beginning.

Nonetheless,

Quote:
-During any particular action phase, where one has any amount of active, non black, non reserved (saved) dice, may one do more than one (re) roll per one action? Or, may (does) one progress silently through subsequent action phases doing nothing, using subsequent, repeating dice roll opportunity per phase, reserving particularly successful "subrolls", and so "wait" through however many action phases and re-loops from 5 to 1 and again; until one hits their desired action phase again (Is this protracted analysis the case of what roll repetitions really are)?

[As per the final published printed rules?]

-The draft game rules state there's no such game mechanic as a turn. So what is each re loop, after action 5 to action 1 again, particularly called in game terms?

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
The action "steps" must occur one at a time in order, and when finished start again from their beginning.

Nonetheless,

Quote:

?

There are no phases.
I cannot understand your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-Then what is one entire pass through the actions 1 to 5 called?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
-Then what is one entire pass through the actions 1 to 5 called?

There is no pass, no order, just 5 possible actions you can do at any time. 4 and 5 are very rare. You will do 1, 2 and 3 repeatedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-So 1,2,3 Can be performed in any order?

-This means that any step can be skipped at choice?

-If a player chooses to, assuming no black masks, can the player choose to take NO actions whatsoever and just reroll, as long as possible (entirely regardless of an attempt at an action, possible or not)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
-So 1,2,3 Can be performed in any order?

-This means that any step can be skipped at choice?

Yes you just do whatever action you need to do. For instance when you need to run back home, you are just going to keep moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
-Can one perform NO actions at all, regardless of the result, and just arbitrarily re roll again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
-Can one perform NO actions at all, regardless of the result, and just arbitrarily re roll again?

Yes, you sure can, and often will, trying to get a result to allow you to move, explore or activate gems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary, I highly suggest you watch Richard Ham's video. This is a real-time game, so watching a video would probably be better than starting another half dozen threads about rules questions.

Edit: Here's the link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/21938/escape-the-curse-of...

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the final rules have much better phrasing than the draft rules do. Hope the video finally clears it up for you though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is he gon'a get and keep "Escape" on the top of the Hot List if he watches the videes and reads the rulebook carefully.

Then he could not spam questions and then keep the threads going with his constant need for everyone to expound and clarify their answers . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
How is he gon'a get and keep "Escape" on the top of the Hot List if he watches the videes and reads the rulebook carefully.

Then he could not spam questions and then keep the threads going with his constant need for everyone to expound and clarify their answers . . .

Somehow...we will survive, and soldier on.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm part of a gaming group, who might want to look at Escape as a tournament game. My questions become important; I certainly don't set out to bother people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zachary1234 wrote:
I'm part of a gaming group, who might want to look at Escape as a tournament game. My questions become important; I certainly don't set out to bother people.

Do you own the game yet? I don't usually post rules questions until I actually have the game in front of me, and have played a game.

Lots of rulebooks don't really make sense until you have the game out on the table.

I've lost count of how many rules threads you've started, but a lot of it would be avoided if you watched Richard Ham's video or waited until you had the game.

Edit: Eight. You have started eight separate rules threads about a game that is really simple in execution.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just going to take this last opportunity to remind everyone to not feed trolls, and then do the same myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.