tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Moose cock?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Moose cock sandwiches?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have wondered this as well. Just seems for the price you could buy a Windows laptop with a lot more functionality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
I have wondered this as well. Just seems for the price you could buy a Windows laptop with a lot more functionality.

Where have you seen windows laptops for $250?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Acer chromebook is $199.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:

The Acer one got really bad reviews due to a 3 hour battery life. We're looking at the Samsungs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this any different from a netbook (apart from the OS, of course).

More telling, Verizon stopped selling netbooks 2 months ago, and moved to exclusively tablets. And, they don't universally offer their 'share everything' plan to all netbooks (if you can find a mobile internet-ready netbook elsewhere).

I think the love of tablets is a flavor-of-the-day, though. They're not intended to be substitutes for laptops; even if the providers want you to think they are ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:

I didn't know they were that cheap now. I looked when they first came out and they seemed to run $600+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played with the OS a little in emulation only, not on an actual chrome book, but I feel like I got enough of a taste to know it's not for me - at least not as my primary computer.

I suppose if you wanted a machine just for checking emails and light web-surfing it might fit the bill, but for doing anything else you'd want a real computer.

That said, if that *is* all you need it for, $199 is a pretty attractive price point for that type of access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Bueller? Bueller?

I think that the lack of response may be telling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
If so, tell me about them.

They have sexy robot ladies on the cover. Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not for me.

They're for the kids.

They need to be browsers for use on YouTube, FaceBook and various web games as well as homework stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Geosphere wrote:
They need to be browsers for use on YouTube, FaceBook and various web games as well as homework stuff.

I imagine that the Chromebooks will use Chrome, and I use Chrome for all that (though, admittedly, I haven't done homework in a while) without any problems. Plus, Google owns YouTube now, so I imagine that the videos integrate well into the OS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
They're not for me.

They're for the kids.

Nice thinking, I was thinking of getting my son his own tablet so my wife can use hers. But a chromebook might be better.

A friend of mine has one and uses it when she travels. It looks quite functional if the majority of your work is browser based.

What's the Samsung battery life?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
They're not for me.

They're for the kids.

Nice thinking, I was thinking of getting my son his own tablet so my wife can use hers. But a chromebook might be better.

A friend of mine has one and uses it when she travels. It looks quite functional if the majority of your work is browser based.

What's the Samsung battery life?

Exactly our thought - cheaper than a tablet and possibly more functional.

They say 7 hours on the batteries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

They're for the kids.

I think your kids are the prime market for them. The obvious upside is you don't have to worry much about viruses, malware, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
The obvious upside is you don't have to worry much about viruses, malware, etc.

SO important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:

Sorry for the dumb question but: why don't you have to worry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
sirius23 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_os#Security

Quote:
In March 2010, Google software security engineer Will Drewry discussed Chrome OS security. Drewry described Chrome OS as a "hardened" operating system featuring auto-updating and sandbox features that will reduce malware exposure. He said that Chrome OS netbooks will be shipped with Trusted Platform Module (TPM), and include both a "trusted bootpath" and a physical switch under the battery compartment that actuates a developer mode. That mode drops some specialized security functions but increases developer flexibility. Drewry also emphasized that the open source nature of the operating system will contribute greatly to its security by allowing constant developer feedback.

At a December 2010 press conference, Google claimed that Chrome OS would be the most secure consumer operating system due in part to a verified boot ability, in which the initial boot code, stored in read-only memory, checks for system compromises.

Or in layman's terms: It only lets software get installed from verified sources and hardware level code is untouchable unless the owner physically opens the machine and flips a physical switch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Jatoha wrote:
sirius23 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_os#Security

Quote:
In March 2010, Google software security engineer Will Drewry discussed Chrome OS security. Drewry described Chrome OS as a "hardened" operating system featuring auto-updating and sandbox features that will reduce malware exposure. He said that Chrome OS netbooks will be shipped with Trusted Platform Module (TPM), and include both a "trusted bootpath" and a physical switch under the battery compartment that actuates a developer mode. That mode drops some specialized security functions but increases developer flexibility. Drewry also emphasized that the open source nature of the operating system will contribute greatly to its security by allowing constant developer feedback.

At a December 2010 press conference, Google claimed that Chrome OS would be the most secure consumer operating system due in part to a verified boot ability, in which the initial boot code, stored in read-only memory, checks for system compromises.

Or in layman's terms: It only lets software get installed from verified sources and hardware level code is untouchable unless the owner physically opens the machine and flips a physical switch.

ALSO

If the machine finds some sort of fault in itself, it reinstalls all of its own software from the last known good run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, this sounds like it's perfect for my sister in law.

Her son is off at college, doesn't have a phone for whatever reason and they were keeping in touch via email. Well, her computer died and now she doesn't have a reliable way to contact him.

He calls her through his gmail account, but if she needs to call him, she has to call the university and get a message that way. It's way awkward.

She keeps saying she needs a new computer, but money is very tight for them. She is an absolute novice when it comes to computers- I mean, she thinks I'm an expert. She wouldn't use it for another thing than email, browsing the web and possibly Skype if I could teach her that.

Her sister and husband are telling her she needs to get a Macbook, they are huge apple fanboys and I think they have her all confused about what would be best. So, she's saving her money for a Mac!! grrr. She can't afford that and SHE DOESN'T NEED IT.

I wonder if Chromebook sounds enough like Macbook that I could convince her to go that route. I'm tempted to just buy her one! But when I suggested buying her son a phone a while back TomA said 'no way.' that they would be insulted---- pride.

*sigh* Thanks for letting me rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:

I wonder if Chromebook sounds enough like Macbook that I could convince her to go that route.

This is a major sales tactic for Chrome right now. A whole lot cheaper for a tiny bit less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Boy, this sounds like it's perfect for my sister in law.

Her son is off at college, doesn't have a phone for whatever reason and they were keeping in touch via email. Well, her computer died and now she doesn't have a reliable way to contact him.

He calls her through his gmail account, but if she needs to call him, she has to call the university and get a message that way. It's way awkward.

She keeps saying she needs a new computer, but money is very tight for them. She is an absolute novice when it comes to computers- I mean, she thinks I'm an expert. She wouldn't use it for another thing than email, browsing the web and possibly Skype if I could teach her that.

Her sister and husband are telling her she needs to get a Macbook, they are huge apple fanboys and I think they have her all confused about what would be best. So, she's saving her money for a Mac!! grrr. She can't afford that and SHE DOESN'T NEED IT.

I wonder if Chromebook sounds enough like Macbook that I could convince her to go that route. I'm tempted to just buy her one! But when I suggested buying her son a phone a while back TomA said 'no way.' that they would be insulted---- pride.

*sigh* Thanks for letting me rant.

I agree that she doesn't need a fully scale computer. Chromebooks are available at BestBuy. You could take her to one to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.