Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As my gaming group is drying up and my wife's job change has made even 2-player action scarce, it is becoming more difficult for me to get my reviews done for Rick's Rec Room.

www.heraldbulletin.com/ricksrecroom

So I am leaning toward turning that space into a venue for doing reviews of games that can be played solo. With that in mind, I am looking for suggestions for games people would like to see reviewed in that way. the only type of game I'm not likely to cover is war games as they don't hold much interest. Any help would be appreciated.

One other thing. I am mostly interested, at least for now, in games that have an "official" way of playing it solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of (all of?) Uwe Rosenberg's games can be played solo. Indeed some of us think that some of them play _best_ as solo games, I definitely feel that way about Agricola.

Snowdonia is new and plays interestingly as a solo.

I recently downloaded the BGG rules for a solo variant of Taluva. This was a lot of fun.

Are you also interested in free PnP games? or is a review of things to buy only?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Most of (all of?) Uwe Rosenberg's games can be played solo. Indeed some of us think that some of them play _best_ as solo games, I definitely feel that way about Agricola.

Snowdonia is new and plays interestingly as a solo.

I recently downloaded the BGG rules for a solo variant of Taluva. This was a lot of fun.

Are you also interested in free PnP games? or is a review of things to buy only?

I can include anything that's still available and fun solo. Thanks for the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good PnP lists

http://rpggeek.com/geeklist/33437/free-print-and-play-games-... not everything on this list is a solo
http://rpggeek.com/geeklist/19411/games-for-the-poor-and-lon... all solos
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1567/games-that-are-free-t... not all solo here either

Mage Knight is the hot new thing that people say plays great as a solo. I haven't tried this myself. Also, pretty much all of the coops can be played solo. Pandemic, Flash Point, Arkham Horror come to mind. Again, I haven't done this, but I can see how it would be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite games to play solo:

Ghost Stories
Gears of War: The Board Game
Friday
Mage Knight Board Game
Agricola

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:

thedacker wrote:

These are probably my top solo picks from collection with Mage Knight, Gears of War, and Agricola being my top 3. Thunderbolt Apache Leader is worth mentioning too if you prefer heavier games (has a little too much accounting for my taste, but the missions are fun)

Some others that I like but aren't my favorites:
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison
Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Onirim
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day Dice works very well solo, with official rules. The same is true for Agricola. RoboRally also plays well as a solitaire game (with either multiple bots under your control or some bots with random moves programmed each round), though these rules are not technically "official" in spite of their loose blessing in the rulebook.

I've added Mage Knight Board Game to my own wishlist based on the vast sea of praise for its solitaire gameplay.

A lot of wargames also tend to play well, especially many entries from the Great Battles of History set. Most are billed for 2 players, but the scenarios tend to be unbalanced in favor of historical accuracy and therefore play best with one person controlling both sides.

Space Infantry is an exclusively solitaire game that has been stalking my wishlist for a while, but L&L seems to be very slow about getting it reprinted.

The new Essen release Clocks is on my solitaire radar as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.