Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As my gaming group has gotten much smaller, I am looking to expand my gaming collection into the solo arena. Would it be possible to get some opinions of how this plays as a solo game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you search through these forums you will find loads and loads of posts saying how great it is.

The best solo game I have

But I have not got Mage knight yet......

I would say spend some time going through the reviews and posts here - then make your decision on what to buy, in what order and how to approach deck building.

Or skip all that and just go buy the core set and give that a go - you are unlikely to regret it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game works great as a solo game (and also as a two player game; it even works well with three or four players).

However, you will have to buy a bunch of expansions, in order to really enjoy it solo.

The Core Set is a starting point, no more and no less. It is not a complete game (well, it is for a while, but not for too long).

It comes with three scenarios, of which one is extremely easy (introductory scenario), one is quite hard solo, and one is basically impossible solo, even if you have all cards in existance today. There isn't really a "normal difficulty" scenario for solo play included.

But... you can also play solo as if you were playing with two players (i.e. play two decks). This works much better against the second and especially the third scenario.

There are four player decks included in the Core Set, but they are only really good to get an idea of what the four different spheres are about while playing against the introductory scenario. The decks are not good enough to tackle the more difficult ones. You will have to start deckbuilding for that.

And the cards you get to build your own decks are also a bit limited, if you do not buy a bunch of the expansions. This can be mitigated a bit by building smaller decks (30 cards instead of 50 cards), though, which is what I generally recommend new players to try when they start deckbuilding in LotR.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rickert wrote:
As my gaming group has gotten much smaller, I am looking to expand my gaming collection into the solo arena. Would it be possible to get some opinions of how this plays as a solo game?

I bought the game just a few weeks ago because of the solitaire capabilities. And I love it! Of course, I did dive all the way in and have almost every expansion to date.

You are really limited with strategies when playing with just the core set solo. And there are several cards that are obviously designed for multi-player. But I was able to beat the first two scenarios solo eventually with just the cards from the core set.

One method that a lot of people suggest that I have yet to try is "double fisting" - kind of solitaire pseudo-multiplayer where you play both player's hands. That way, you are able to get the full benefit of all the cards and the variety of effective strategies expands.

I'd say go for it, especially with your rating of other deck building games, most noteably Magic: The Gathering. I am a recovered former M:tG addict and have found that the theme and adventure aspect of LotR LCG more than fulfills my old M:tG cravings. Just be prepared to possibly get hooked and spend $150 or so per year on new expansions and monthly adventure packs, which might seem like a lot but is nothing compared to how much you could spend on M:tG. And if you want to, you can stop at anytime and not worry about getting beat up by others who spend thousands to get 4 copies of all the newest cards because you are either playing solo or you are playing co-op.

Highly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
And if you want to, you can stop at anytime ...

Yeah, tell yourself that, if it helps.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has worked very good for me playing solo. One thing that really enhances the game is the addition of privateers scenarios you can find in BGG. Check the awesome adventures by Ninjadorg. They use mostly the core game cards and make the game much bigger.
There are other excellent ones (tougher ones sometimes) you can do later, like the ones by Feonix, Shelfwear and others.
But if you get it and you like it, be ready to crave the expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bookwormral Bookwormral
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have got mage knight and it is fab but it does take forever to set up so of an evening when the kids are in bed I return to LOTR LCG for solo play.
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias R
Sweden
Stockholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's an excellent solo game. The Core Set gives lots of fun playtime, don't worry too much about having to expand early. Buy the Core Set and see if you get hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Mikeybb wrote:
If you search through these forums you will find loads and loads of posts saying how great it is.

The best solo game I have

But I have not got Mage knight yet......

I would say spend some time going through the reviews and posts here - then make your decision on what to buy, in what order and how to approach deck building.

Or skip all that and just go buy the core set and give that a go - you are unlikely to regret it

Solo play lord of the rings is amazing. Not just whilst you are playing it: you can sit in the car/train and daydream about different hero/sphere combos for hours!!

I had my eye on Mage Knight but, like someone else has said, you could probably pay 2-3 games of LOTR in the set-up time alone. It's for this reason that i got rid of Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight setup isn't that bad.

It sure takes a while, and needs a lot of table space, but it doesn't take hours. It takes 10 minutes to setup, that's it.

The game itself (esp. when playing with three) is really long, though. Several hours.

Havn't tried it solo, yet.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solo arkham horror with 3 investigator is not bad.. for that cthulthu itch occasinally..

solo lotrlcg however , its great because of the portability and quick turn around of play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Are there very many scenarios that aren't really possible to win against when playing solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I havn't played all of them, yet. But I think that it is only that Escape from Dol Guldur one from the Core Set, which is so extremely hard solo.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Return to Mirkwood" and "Shadow and Flame" are extremely demanding as well when played solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
i think (instinctively, without trying it) that Shadow and Flame is equally hard in multiplayer?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Return to Mirkwood - yeah, in solo, it is just a joke, you need to finish in like 5 turns max or it is impossible. Not a fun quest.

And ecape from Dol Guldur doesn't scale down. They should have set the number of objectives to 1+ players in the game. That would have made it more playable IMO.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I also find the 1st mission from hobbit quite hard, although i am trying to kill them all rather than empty the encounter deck - anyone managed this in solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.