Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing the CP and it sure seems that after the opening move, you absolutely must SR a corps into Konigsberg or else the next Russian move could be to enter Konigsberg and Memel and cut off the GE forces there from supply. Not sure the CP is in a position to relieve those units if that happens, but I'd like to hear from others. Is that a must-do on turn 2 or can you get yourself out of that if that happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Reinforcing Konigsberg on Turn 2
I'm no expert, but one thing I do is to retreat both the army and corps nearby into the fortress. If the Russians go ahead and try to move past it, I can strike from the north, if they try to take it, they're in for a treat, since there's a fort and a Lvl1 trench there.

They're always in supply since they're in a port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it is my play-style, but if I have spare card, or there is a lull in battle, I end up SR'ing sometime in Turn 1.

Generally I try to prevent the Serbs from flanking that front, protect Konigsberg and beefing up the Germans on the Western front. I usually use a 3 OP card which has a 4 SR value
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
I'm playing the CP and it sure seems that after the opening move, you absolutely must SR a corps into Konigsberg or else the next Russian move could be to enter Konigsberg and Memel and cut off the GE forces there from supply. Not sure the CP is in a position to relieve those units if that happens, but I'd like to hear from others. Is that a must-do on turn 2 or can you get yourself out of that if that happens?

And, no, it is something you should think to do on turn 1, OR first thing turn 2, since the Russians may attack GE fort spaces by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I usually do is to retreat the corps only, and leave the army in front.
If I'm lucky to get Oberost than I play it and start destroying all those forts in the North
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
Perhaps it is my play-style, but if I have spare card, or there is a lull in battle, I end up SR'ing sometime in Turn 1.

Generally I try to prevent the Serbs from flanking that front, protect Konigsberg and beefing up the Germans on the Western front. I usually use a 3 OP card which has a 4 SR value

Can you elaborate? He eliminated the AH corps outside Belgrade on turn 1; you think he'll move the army out of Belgrade and flank my AH unit?

I'm new to the game and he's experienced so I'm not sure what to expect here.

And I see you fighting the fight on enemy territory; hang tough (Go Steelers!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brainst0rm wrote:
What I usually do is to retreat the corps only, and leave the army in front.
If I'm lucky to get Oberost than I play it and start destroying all those forts in the North

Nice idea, but I only see the fort at Gordo that's easy pickings. The others have RU 3FP units in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
Can you elaborate? He eliminated the AH corps outside Belgrade on turn 1; you think he'll move the army out of Belgrade and flank my AH unit?

Generally if my opponents have a spare OP, they will try to attack the lone AH corps and kill it. I have been burned before by my brother this way. If the allies SR a SB corps to Belgrade, they can cut off the whole front if the hole is not plugged.

Normally that will be what prompts me to SR corps, or the Russians mulling the AH's in Galicia (send a few GR corps south).

Haha, same to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
enzo622 wrote:

Generally if my opponents have a spare OP, they will try to attack the lone AH corps and kill it. I have been burned before by my brother this way. If the allies SR a SB corps to Belgrade, they can cut off the whole front if the hole is not plugged.

Normally that will be what prompts me to SR corps, or the Russians mulling the AH's in Galicia (send a few GR corps south).

Haha, same to you!

Thanks. I was going to SR 2 corps to the AH army outside Belgrade but I think I'll give the army 1 corps and plug the hole with the other. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be just as effective to place the corps to Szeged, out of reach of the SB's guns. Or SR a GR corp to Timisvar from Insterberg, SR a GR corp from the reserve onto Timisvar.

Alternatively, you could just move the SB corp from Villach to Pecs with an OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
It can be just as effective to place the corps to Szeged, out of reach of the SB's guns. Or SR a GR corp to Timisvar from Insterberg, SR a GR corp from the reserve onto Timisvar.

Alternatively, you could just move the SB corp from Villach to Pecs with an OP.

Yes, actually I did place it in Szeged so the Serbs can't just pick another corps off.

Damn tough start. The Russians have advanced against the AH and I don't have an AH reinforcement card so I'm not sure how to keep them from punching through. Guess I'll have to put a GE army down and move it to the SE to help the AHs.

Strange to me that the CP starts off on the defensive. You have to reinforce Konigsberg, the AH front, and watch the Serbs don't flank you down south. This whole first turn is about playing defense after the GoA attack. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your opponent is playing pretty smart, by dividing your attention. If possible keep hitting the Western Front and gain some ground. Remember you cannot play reinforcement cards in T1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
Your opponent is playing pretty smart, by dividing your attention. If possible keep hitting the Western Front and gain some ground. Remember you cannot play reinforcement cards in T1!

Oh snap! I forgot that. Yikes. Will be interesting to see if I can stop the Russians. I really like his aggressive approach to punching through the AH southeastern front. I also like to keep the pressure on until my opponent proves he can stop me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
SW_Cygnus wrote:

Oh snap! I forgot that. Yikes. Will be interesting to see if I can stop the Russians. I really like his aggressive approach to punching through the AH southeastern front. I also like to keep the pressure on until my opponent proves he can stop me.

He may and should be very aggressive against the AH, but that will bring him no more far than the mountains (specially if you're playing with the corps option, if you're not, well you're in the dance of death).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
SW_Cygnus wrote:

He may and should be very aggressive against the AH, but that will bring him no more far than the mountains (specially if you're playing with the corps option, if you're not, well you're in the dance of death).

Yes, we have the extra corps option. That's good to hear that I should be able to stop him at the mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, Russian units can't enter German forts during August 1914, so the GE8 doesn't have to worry about being encircled and OOS until at least Sept 1914. Not sure what you meant by "turn 2" (ie, activation #2 in Aug 1914 or Activation #1 in Sept 1914) so I thought I'd clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
justnord wrote:
Remember, Russian units can't enter German forts during August 1914, so the GE8 doesn't have to worry about being encircled and OOS until at least Sept 1914. Not sure what you meant by "turn 2" (ie, activation #2 in Aug 1914 or Activation #1 in Sept 1914) so I thought I'd clarify.

Oh crap! Seriously? Where were you 2 hours ago?

So I didn't need to SR into Konigsberg; I sure could've used that somewhere else... I meant activation #2 of Turn #1. Otherwise, yeah, the Russians can put Insterberg OOS pretty darn easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
justnord wrote:

So I didn't need to SR into Konigsberg; I sure could've used that somewhere else... I meant activation #2 of Turn #1. Otherwise, yeah, the Russians can put Insterberg OOS pretty darn easily.

If you have a look at the player aid charts for the game, you'll see a box with all the exceptions for the August (and one for September) 1914 turns. That way you cannot miss the exceptions for the beginning game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
enzo622 wrote:
justnord wrote:

If you have a look at the player aid charts for the game, you'll see a box with all the exceptions for the August (and one for September) 1914 turns. That way you cannot miss the exceptions for the beginning game.

Printed! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never like retreating to Konigsberg, or anywhere. Also, as previously mentioned, Russia cannot enter the fort that early.

If possible, I, too, SR corps into the region to bolster the line. There are also several ways, depending upon whether you play "historical" or not, to improve the Central Powers situation in that region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.