16 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Solo play - one or two decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
So far I've only played solo using one deck, however lately I've been reading lots of positive comments about using two decks as well. So I've been wondering about the general practice of fellow BGG users. How do you play the game SOLO? Comments are also welcome!

Poll
When playing SOLO, do you play with two decks instead of just one?
Never with two decks.
Rarely with two decks.
Often with two decks.
Always with two decks.
      148 answers
Poll created by LipaB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "Rarely with two decks".

I generally play a single deck, when I play solo, but sometimes I use two decks, mostly to test how they perform for multiplayer.

However, I do not play this game purely as a solo game.

For those players, who only play this game by themselves, I would definitely recommend trying the "playing two decks" option, since it really opens up new ways to enjoy the game and use all the multiplayer stuff that is available (there's a bunch of cards and keywords specifically for multiplayer).

It is also really easy to do. You just need enough table space.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "Never with two decks", but only because I'd never considered it. Now I might give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Travis
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am new to the game so there is a small sample size, but after finding the game frustratingly difficult with single-deck solo play (some games were lost solely because of the first encounter draw and over within a few turns), I decided to try a double-deck solo game with JDtA. While I still don't win every game (good thing, IMO) I can at least get a game out of a loss and initial draws are less painful. So in the future I will probably play more double-deck games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I have done reasonably well with my single solo deck, with the exception of Dol Guldur (1 win in 10 tries). I will give Dol Guldur a shot using the two hand solo approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was missing the option to vote for "1 deck/2 decks equally".
When I got started with solo play, I tried it with one deck as well as two. I've played all of the quests with a single deck up until The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Road to Rivendell (the newest quest at the time). After a short recess I built 2 complementing decks and I'm now in the process of playing through all the quests dual-handed. I enjoy the game both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that counts as often.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lipa LeChuck
msg tools
mb
Another question for those who play with two decks: How do you set up your space on the table? This is the primary concern for me when I think about this option. Even with just one deck, my table is full, but how do you handle two?

Ideas and suggestions are welcome, and so are photos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have much trouble even on a not-overly-large table.

Basically split the playing area into top (encounter stuff) and bottom (player stuff).

I generally have the encounter deck top right with the discard pile to the right and the adventure cards (1a/1b, etc) to the left of it. The active location is below those.

The staging area is to the left of that.

Then on the bottom part, I have my player decks, one to the far left and one to the far right, with the discard pile below and the threat counters above those (I put the starting player token right on them, so I do not forget to move it, as I have to pick it up to set the threat dial at the end of the round).

The space between the decks is used for the cards in play, heroes in one line with a slightly bigger space between the two playing areas and allies below those.

Engaged enemies are moved to a position above the heroes on the appropriate side. If that is not easily distinguishable, due to room issues, one could also play non-engaged enemies and non-active locations sideways into the staging area (as if exhausted), and only have engaged enemies and the active location sit straight.

And on the very bottom, I have my two hands spread out in a line. If too many cards are in play, so that the room is getting scarce, I will just put the hands into a small stack aside (near the deck/discard pile on each side) and pick them up when needed.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
I have only ever played solo-handed and have won every quest at a decent enough rate (up to the hobbit quest 1 - but i have not had time to play for a few weeks)

However, next time i pick up and start playing again, i intend to play 2 decks. This is because the card pool is growing, and in order to make a strong Solo deck, you really need to be disciplined in to using only the very very strongest cards and synergies in order to win tough quests.

e.g. Keeping Count - i love the idea of this Tactics card thematically. But it has no place whatsoever in a solo deck. If i re-jigged my tactics deck slightly to make it a multiplayer deck, i would have the space to accomodate it, along with loads of other Tactics cards which do not fit in a solo deck.

So - going forward, i intend to play double-handed. May need to re-read the rule book i'm sure.

Regard play set up, mine is basically four rows as follows (solo):

Top: Encounter Deck Discard Pile, Encounter deck, Gap, Quest Cards, Active Location, removed cards (i.e. Trolls), box of tokens (threat track stays in box lid - it is like a small wooden chest).
Middle: Staging Area.
Lower Middle: Engaged Enemies.
Bottom: Player Stuff. Normally all on one row but with some decks i know i will need two.

When playing two-handed i like to think i will set up each "player" at at a diagonal angle (i.e. one deck at 135' and the second at 225') but i reckon i am more likely to end up just putting the two players on the bottom row.

One other thing - it really annoys me that there are no currently no Tactics Dwarf Heroes who were actually in the Hobbit. This must be fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When playing solo with only 1 deck .... when you come across event cards that require you to 'choose a player', or 'select an enemy a player is engaged with' .. Are you entitled to choose yourself (as the only player).

Also, if you are using two decks, (playing solo OR 2 player) can the player who drew these cards choose themself to play it on, or does it have to be a different player?

(Cards as an example might be Stand Together, or Feint)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play solo, you have to choose yourself.

With multiple players, you can choose yourself, or another player.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
If you play solo, you have to choose yourself.

With multiple players, you can choose yourself, or another player.

Bye
Thanee

Cheers Thanee,

That's helpful.

Further to that last question I think I'm right in guessing that really only the 'ranged' and 'sentinel' rules are deemed 'not applicable' during a 1 deck, solo play game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I think that's pretty much it.

Of course, there are some specific cards, like Wandering Took, which also won't work without another player.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:

Further to that last question I think I'm right in guessing that really only the 'ranged' and 'sentinel' rules are deemed 'not applicable' during a 1 deck, solo play game ?

Well, not sure how far you progressed in terms of adventure packs, but there are enemies that can only be attacked or defended if the character has the Ranged keyword. So, in some cases it's not totally useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool, cheers !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.