2 Posts

Big Badaboom» Forums » Rules

Subject: Better clarified rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Allen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can anyone comes out with a better clarified rules as me and my gang finds it confusing reading the rules from the booklet?

For example:

when i play "take that" can someone at the same time play give me that?

As for the secret mission, does it means that i only show to people i have that card when the bomb exploded and then only i discard it?

The phase order is confusing as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hansson
Sweden
Arlöv
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
algoh wrote:
when i play "take that" can someone at the same time play give me that?

Card can never be played at the "exact same time". And as always, every card is resolved until the next card is executed. The only exception is a "STOP" card that works as an interrupt, taking Control of the card just played. Also, cards can only be played in one of the two Trick phases

So, as stated in the rules: There is no set play order unless several players want to play a card at the same time. If so, they do it in clockwise order beginning with the Bomb holder.

So if you want to play "Take that" and another player want to play "Give me that" you look where you sit according to the bombholder. Say that you are the one to go first. Then you play your "Take that" and resolve that card. This means that the we leave the Trick phase and the bomb holder's turn ends, you get the bomb, then you draw a card (unless the bomb is armed).

Now we enter Trick phase 1 and that opponent have to still decide if he wants to play his "Give me that" card. The scene has changed so maybe not, maybe so. Then again everyone is entitled to play a card now so that player might have to wait again if there is anyone ahead of him (according to the bombholder, you at the moment) who wants to play a card.

algoh wrote:
As for the secret mission, does it means that i only show to people i have that card when the bomb exploded and then only i discard it?

Yes. When the bomb exploded, everyone checks their card for fulfilled secret missions, discards them and collects the reward. See step 2 of the "When the bomb explodes" rules.

algoh wrote:
The phase order is confusing as well

Not sure what you mean here. A normal round is:
Draw phase > Trick phase 1 > Tinkering phase > Trick phase 2 > Explosion phase > Pass phase

But more often than not, this chain is interrupted by cards played in any of the two Trick phases, causing the bomb to move and thereby prematurely ending the bombholders turn, and starting a new turn with the next bombholder.

Or as it says in the rules: If a Trick card forces you to pass the Bomb, either to yourself or to another player, you skip the remaining phases except the pass phase.

But if it's confusing when you take a turn I find it good to announce "Trick phase 1, who wants to play a card?". If no card is played, or if I still have the bomb after all cards are played, I announce "I am now tinkering with the bomb." I say this even if I actually don't do anything with the bomb. Then I announce "Trick phase 2, who wants to play a card?". If the bomb is armed I add ", and the bomb will explode if no one plays a card." And again if I am still bombholder after Trick phase 2 the bomb either explodes or I announce "The bomb is now being passed."

It is not a dexterity game, so if two or more player holds a card they want to play but are waiting for the other one to play first, dragging the phase out to long, just ask them in turn order if they want to play a card. Either they do, and you resolve it, or they pass. If all passed then you enter the next phase.

Usually this mental battle takes place when in Tinker phase two, when the bomb is about to explode. But just go around the table and ask them in order. Once this behavior is set in your group, playing will become much smoother, and more fun.

Good luck with those bombs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.