Subject: NBN - Such a thing as too many tags? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Hedegaard
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty new to A:NR, and only have 1 core set at the moment, but even from my first week of play I can tell this is a great game! I'm just getting into deckbuilding, and I really like the flavor of NBN, so here's my first constructed deck:

Agendas: 10 cards
2x Breaking News
2x Astroscript Pilot Program
3x Private Security Force
3x Priority Requisition

ICE: 20 cards
3x Matrix Analyzer
3x Data Raven
3x Tollbooth
3x Wall of Static
2x Enigma
2x Wall of Thorns **
2x Chum **
2x Archer ****

Assets: 4 cards
2x Melange Mining Corp
2x Adonis Campaign ****

Operations: 11 cards
2x Psychographics
2x Closed Accounts
2x SEA Source
3x Hedge Fund
2x Beanstalk Royalties **

Upgrades: 4 cards
1x SanSan City Grid
1x Corporate Troubleshooter *
2x Red Herrings

Total: 49 cards, 15 OOF influence points

So my questions are:

1 Is there such a thing as including too many tag cards? I'm thinking of putting Ghost Branches and Hunters back in (not sure what to replace), since my main opponent has gotten pretty zealous about avoiding tags, making trace&tag ICE pretty good at discouraging runs. What do you think is the ideal amount of tagging NBN should dish out?

2 The obvious corollary to having too many tags: How would I squeeze a Scorched Earth into the deck (again, not sure what to replace)? And should I? The influence cost is high, and all my influence is now spent on econ (NBN is lacking on this front, I feel) and ICE. But with tags being so prevalent in NBN, I like the idea of keeping that as an option.

3 A more general question: I have no ambushes in the deck. Is this OK? In your experience, if you run no ambushes, do runners eventually get wise to the fact that everything you advance is an agenda, or is the threat that this next thing just might be an ambush enough to give them pause?

And... Discuss! Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) It's mostly a question of opportunity cost..."Too many tags" is not really a problem, but "not enough End The Runs" can be. Seems like you're prooobably okay, but if you reach a point at which your opponent gives up on tag removal (and you're not getting enough use out of your psychographics, closed accounts, and resource trashing), you might have more tags than you can put to good use.

2) If you want an SE (and possibly even if you don't), then lose Chum (edit: maybe replacing it with a third Enigma?), and probably an Adonis--I can't really tell what Chum is doing there, except giving Wall of Thorns someone to hang out with, but it's mostly only useful in pretty specific circumstances. I don't see it helping you much here.
Of course, you don't need Scorched Earth; it's mostly good for the scare factor, and when the Archers start coming out, the runner will know you don't have more than one.
Adonis is great, and money is indeed a concern, but you can get that with another Melange or possibly a PAD or two (PAD seems to have a mixed rep around here, but the nice thing about NBN is, if you're worried about Bank Jobs, you can just put it behind a Data Raven and the runner will be reluctant to take it out.)

3) It's cool. Having a solid bluff can definitely help you out of a jam, but hopefully, as NBN, you will have won by the time they notice the lack of ambushes.
That said, the deck's current incarnation (with ice like Chum and Data Raven, which encourage jacking out rather than stopping the runner outright) would definitely lend itself to a more traps-and-bluffing sort of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure you need 3x Tollbooth + 2x Wall of Thorns (+ 2x Archer). These ices are expensive. You could replace the Thorns by a couple of Shadows. It's is a nice little piece of ice. You can boost it, so you're pretty sure the Runner will have to pay 5 © to pass it, or you gain 2 © and he gains a tag. Also, you may protect a PAD behind a Shadows. It's annoying for the Runner.

And I don't believe the SEAs are a necessity. I removed them from my deck and it works better without. With the Raven + the Analyzer + the Shadows, there is already a lot of opportunities to tag the Runner. A moment arrives where the Runner is forced to give up. He accepts the tags, and then you can use your Closed Accounts and Psychographics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hedegaard
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses! I might need to try some tinkering tonight to see how these work out.

The reason I ask question #1 is that sometimes I feel I can't keep up enough tags for Psychographics. I keep thinking "surely I will get 3+ tags on the runner and score PSF from hand..." but it's not as reliable as I hoped. Still good with even 2 tags, though (kind of like a cheaper, more conditional Biotic Labor).

Evan, good suggestion on the chum - my thought process was that it works well with Data Raven and Tollbooth, both of which can end runs even before the runner deals with subroutines, making the Chum effect trigger more reliably. Works as intended, but I was getting the feeling that it lacked strategic coherence and unfocused the deck a little, so I might try subs. Enigma or Shadow (per Patrick's suggestion) might be a good substitute.

I've stayed away from PADs for the reasons you've described, but it might work protected with minimal ice, if only to increase the cost to trash.

Quote:
And I don't believe the SEAs are a necessity. I removed them from my deck and it works better without. With the Raven + the Analyzer + the Shadows, there is already a lot of opportunities to tag the Runner. A moment arrives where the Runner is forced to give up. He accepts the tags, and then you can use your Closed Accounts and Psychographics.

I find I rather like SEAs as it is now, though we will see how I feel about them if I add more trace&tag ice. SEA works pretty well for draining the runner funds on demand, or getting them in a catch-22 if they think you have Closed Accounts as well - take the tag and get bankrupt, or pay a bunch of credits to beat the trace. With the NBN's 2 renewable credits for tracing, SEA Source has put me economically ahead without even needing to use Closed Accounts when the runner parts with 5+ credits to avoid the trace. Plus, giving out tags on the Corp turn makes me happy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you need the Archers... I'd drop at least one and swap in another Adonis. But that's me. I'd be worried about economy more than anything with this deck as it seems to have rich aspirations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the What Lies Ahead cycle concentrates on tags, if you're interested in the tagging aspect of NBN, you'll probably want to wait to delve into deckbuilding until at least the first couple of data packs come out and see what your new options are. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
ryudoowaru wrote:
Given that the What Lies Ahead cycle concentrates on tags, if you're interested in the tagging aspect of NBN, you'll probably want to wait to delve into deckbuilding until at least the first couple of data packs come out and see what your new options are. Just a thought.

Or be prepared to change things up when the first data pack comes out, if you don't want to wait just go through the core cards you can get a feel for what you need and don't necessarily need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hedegaard
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
I don't think you need the Archers... I'd drop at least one and swap in another Adonis. But that's me. I'd be worried about economy more than anything with this deck as it seems to have rich aspirations.

Agreed on the "rich aspirations." Instead of cutting Archers, I'm thinking of cutting the wall of thorns for ice walls, which still fills NBN's barrier void with something cheap to rez (that can be upgraded later, if needed). Then I can (maybe) continue to get away with only 2 Adonis.

ryudoowaru wrote:

So I've heard, I'm really looking forward to the data packs. Though it will be tough to convince me to hold off on deckbuilding - I used to play MtG, so I sometimes get that "Must build decks!" urge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.