Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: Anyone else would like to be able to show more than 5 MB at a time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings all!

I have been hoarding MB and find it hard to have to choose from all of them only five to show with my avatar.
I understand it may present some problems in terms of space in the pages and in changing the user management software but I'd really like to show off some of my MB!!!
Anyone feels the same? Admins, is there anything that can be done to increase the number of visible MB from five?

That's it!

Thanks!
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been requested many times in the past, and the reason we can't is that loading microbadges is already a big performance issue with the servers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bail Organa made a microbadge randomizer, to rotate your display of microbadges. It's available on his profile.

Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To avoid bringing up this issue over and over, perhaps the Administrators should mention on the Microbadge page the reason why there is a limit of 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
As another workaround suggestion, which I have seen done, is buying an uber-badge and then using a graphics program to create an image of five of your favorite MBs in a row to upload to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still a good suggestion.

I would further suggest that they could make a second row available for 100GG and a 3rd row available for 500GG or something like that. We need more GG sinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like idea of GG sink. How about an uberavatar as wide as the uberbadge? Have to buy std avatar, then pay upgrade for larger one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info and suggestions!

I think some kind of "improved" or "extended" MB lines for extra GG would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Another idea: can MB be inserted in Overtext? I'm saving to buy a couple of these, it would be a way to show lots of MB without changing the status quo.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firestarter Girl
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Bail Organa made a microbadge randomizer, to rotate your display of microbadges. It's available on his profile.

Portugal
Lagos
Algarve
flag msg tools
I've been offline from BGG for the last couple of weeks, but I'll be back very soon!
badge
I'm that weirdo that keeps track of how many badges Kaffedrake has sold prior to yesterday
mb

Using the MB Randomizer ..

Very nice!!

Thanks ...

PS: or should I say "Obrigada!" ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it would be nice to have but as I understand it indeed costs to much off the servers to just give everyone 5 mb's in their profile. Dumping the GG to get more doesn't really seem a good solution since the GG doesn't make them buy more servers.

Maybe you should have a talk with:

So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb

how he does is, he's the only one with a mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

For now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

For now.

Yup, that's the spirit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Well it would be nice to have but as I understand it indeed costs too much off the servers to just give everyone 5 mb's in their profile.

Too much for what? Obvsiously we do have 5 MBs, so I'm not sure what "costs too much" means.

Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Dumping the GG to get more doesn't really seem a good solution since the GG doesn't make them buy more servers.

It does, actually. GG is the currency of BGG. People get it when they monetarily support the site, or when they make good contributions, which also increases the value of the site. But if people sit of piles of GG with nothing to spend it on, then there's not much incentive to support the site with either money or content to get more of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
GG is the currency of BGG. People get it when they monetarily support the site, or when they make good contributions

I thought they got it when they dumped sets of bad and redundant images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
curtc wrote:
GG is the currency of BGG. People get it when they monetarily support the site, or when they make good contributions

Nah, I do that a lot and still can't afford a GeekBadge...
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
curtc wrote:

Don't get me started on the amount of useless images we have. But obviously some images are highly valuable, and it's reasonable to reward with GG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been member to many different forums and this is the first that has this feature. Maybe there are others and I'm just a reclusive monkey. I'm pretty happy with the way it is though I can see why some would want more.

Between the GG, the MBs, pictures, videos, reviews, marketplace, and on and on....

This is by far the coolest and most awesomest online community that I've come across!!!!

Thanks BGG server gods!!! I will eat your digital manna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the relevant link to the BGG Suggestions Index. Scroll down to "Displaying more microbadges" to find a number of thread links.

Actually in a 2010 thread Aldie was not dismissive of adding a 6th slot. Only the site redesign (which will happen any minute now) will tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No thanks on the "std" avatar

herace wrote:
Like idea of GG sink. How about an uberavatar as wide as the uberbadge? Have to buy std avatar, then pay upgrade for larger one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
It's still a good suggestion.

I would further suggest that they could make a second row available for 100GG and a 3rd row available for 500GG or something like that. We need more GG sinks.

My suggestion is (to enable this and ALSO lessen the database access time) that each user has a personal "MB image file", that is updated each time that user changes his MB display. That saves all five MBs into one single image file, that's loaded for each individual user.

Will still have problems, as some MBs can be animated and that you can't really mix gifs together due to the colour info. But maybe the info can be packed in some way so that the database access doesn't have to be that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's a great idea. And if you allow a 2nd row (or even more), it can still be baked into a single image. Of course the pre-baked image file should be an implementation detail, not a visible "feature" to users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you handle mouseovers, microbadge page links, and microbadges with customizable links? Script magic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
How do you handle mouseovers, microbadge page links, and microbadges with customizable links? Script magic?

I'm not an image wizard, so I don't know. Mouseovers and page links I know can be solved (unless I'm fooled). It's not impossible anyhow.

I think the sheer image melding is a larger problem. Combining the colour info will make for a very large gif, and combining two animated gifs with different cycles would be an unsolveable nightmare.

However, I think there might be a way to still have all the info for all 5 MB in one "database access/dataload" instead of in 5 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
html supports regions within an image for click/mouseover.

I suspect the benefits of merged imags would outweigh the cost of color pallette merging.

If animated gifs proved troublesome, I'd be happy to give animated MBs.

Here I am defending your own suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.