Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After several bad run in's w/ Snare last night, I went back to look at Net Shield. It seems really lack luster. On a rig filled w/ Ice Breakers, rarely is there room w/o other forms of memory.

Realistically then this cards cost is:
2 Clicks to draw it + the memory card (I can deploy it earlier but then would slow down my Icebraking rig.
2 Clicks to deploy those 2 cards.
2+ clicks for the credits.

And then I can only use it to prevent the First net damage a turn w/ another credit which costs another click. The wording on the card gives me the impression that I couldn't stack them even if I wanted to, no matter how inefficient they feel.

Is ANYONE using this to good effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Not really.

I think the card has been neutered completely from the way it was ruled. I don't see how they intended the card to be as bad as it actually is in development - either it could have been free (and at least worked in some capacity with Pawn Shop) or it could have cost two credits to prevent a net damage... or something.

As it is the card is beyond terrible and I don't see it being played at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed. They've been very cautious with the damage prevention, changing Crash Space from Hardware to Resourse, and severely reducing the power of Net Shield (In the original it cost 0 and prevented 2 net damage per turn for free and could stack - or alternatively, cost 2 to prevent 2 net or brain damage per turn, again stacking)

I think it's good that they're being careful here, as if it is too easy to prevent damage then runners won't worry about tags, ice with damage subroutines, or traces in general.

Here they took it too far in my opinion, and yes, the card is for all intents and purposes unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, and I commented on this card when it first came out.
It is beyond awful.

I was hoping they made a mistake in the wording and that the FAQ would fix it, but it only confirmed that its a pretty shocking card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wish it was something like:

2 [recurring credits]
Use these credits only to pay for the following:
$3: Prevent 1 Net Damage
$5: Prevent 1 Brain Damage

Or in other words, still taking 1 credit to prevent the first net damage per turn, but being way more flexible offering the ability to prevent subsequent net damage at a rate of $3 per damage, or prevent Brain Damage at $3 for the first or $5 for subsequent.

Price it at 1 instead of 2, and I think it could actually be an interesting card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to see anyone install, or even discard, net shield in constructed play. It's dead cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United Kingdom
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
argus88 wrote:
I wish it was something like:

2 [recurring credits]
Use these credits only to pay for the following:
$3: Prevent 1 Net Damage
$5: Prevent 1 Brain Damage

Or in other words, still taking 1 credit to prevent the first net damage per turn, but being way more flexible offering the ability to prevent subsequent net damage at a rate of $3 per damage, or prevent Brain Damage at $3 for the first or $5 for subsequent.

Price it at 1 instead of 2, and I think it could actually be an interesting card

I like the idea (much more than the card as it stands).

Personally though, I think you're underpricing brain damage. With 2 recurring creds from NetShield I'd be pricing Brain Damage protection higher - $8 to $10 maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
$6 or $7 might be a better price point for the brain damage

$8 to $10 would be too high. After-all, people are taking a brain damage voluntarily to get 9 credits (which can't be prevented incidentally, so there is no worry there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On one hand I'm glad I'm not missing something w/ the card, on the other I wish I had a better answer to net dmg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the card was any good, Jinteki would be even more unplayable than it already is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to confirm this "first net damage". So if a piece of ice does 3 net damamge as one subroutine. does netshield block that first lot of damage being 3 damange, or only the first 1st (as in 1) damage and I take the other 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
It prevents the first single point of Net Damage. So you'd prevent one and take 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is answered as the latter (you still take 2 damage) in http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/android-netrun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. That is how I read it and been playing it. but I wasn't sure seeing how lousy that makes the card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy McCrow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaochou wrote:

Personally though, I think you're underpricing brain damage. With 2 recurring creds from NetShield I'd be pricing Brain Damage protection higher - $8 to $10 maybe.

huyk! Brain damij ain't so baaad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.