Subject: Lair of the Wrym Update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M ofthet
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight posted an update to the Lair of the Wrym expansion on their page. Looks cool!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3735

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK

If I understand completly, there is a very big flaw in the design.

What I like :
Quests that don't advance Act I & II, making the game longer. A good thing for a campaign.
The 'Event' like the card that alter the shopping step.

But what I dislike :
There will be be more than one possible scenario for the act I rumors ? Apparently all rumor cards lead to the same Act I dungeon ... Lame.

But worse, let's suppose the Overlord read the quest, look at the heroes and thinks he stands no chance of winning this. In that case, the Heroes has no chance to play it. It sucks !! It will be always the Overlord who choose if rumors will appears and which one (in the case I'm wrong and there is more than one available).
This sucks big time, leading to quests that will be never played because the Overlord is afraid. I miss the rumor system of RTL where the quest was random ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're misinterpreting a lot of the information there. I don't get from the preview that all of the Act I Rumors lead to the same dungeon. The wording is a little weird when they say "when the overlord plays an Act I Rumor Quest Card, he must discard his other Act I Rumor Quest Cards and draw replacements; this storyline only needs one entry point, after all," but I think the point there is that the Lair of the Wyrm is a side story, and each of the different Act I Quests can act as the entry point into that story, but they are all still different quests.

I think this is supported by the descriptions of two of the Act I quests. One talks about a caravan being attacked, and another talks about a mine that needs saving.

And then, regarding your second point, it seems you may have missed one of the new travel cards. It's an image on that page.

Travel Card wrote:
As you make your way toward your destination, you are approached by a mysterious herald. "Tread carefully, heroes," the cloaked stranger says. "There are minions of evil everywhere! A terrible plot is afoot, just nearby, and it must be stopped! Come!"
The heroes may force the overlord to immediately play a rumor card featuring a quest of the current act.
If the heroes choose not to do this, or if the overlord does not have any Rumor cards in his hand featuring a valid quest, treat this Travel Event card as "No Event."
After resolving this event, return this card to the game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is more than one Act I quest available; nothing in the preview says that all Act I cards lead to the same quest, so seeing as they have different titles (and different travel icons) they would be different quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, that blurry picture:

It looks like "Gold Digger" is the name of one of the quests, which corresponds to one of the Rumor Cards, so I would imagine the other cards are similar, pointing to different quests.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel O'Connell
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
...an image on that page.

Travel Card wrote:
As you make your way toward your destination, you are approached by a mysterious herald. "Tread carefully, heroes," the cloaked stranger says. "There are minions of evil everywhere! A terrible plot is afoot, just nearby, and it must be stopped! Come!"
The heroes may force the overlord to immediately play a rumor card featuring a quest of the current act.
If the heroes choose not to do this, or if the overlord does not have any Rumor cards in his hand featuring a valid quest, treat this Travel Event card as "No Event."
After resolving this event, return this card to the game box.

Good spot. Also, having a hand full of Quest rumours would be an incentive to play one of them so you can discard the others and draw replacements. It'll be a choice between keeping the side quest unavailable but having no rumour cards to play on the one hand or making it available but being able to play rumour cards (or more rumour cards, at least)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eatspider wrote:
Also, having a hand full of Quest rumours would be an incentive to play one of them so you can discard the others and draw replacements. It'll be a choice between keeping the side quest unavailable but having no rumour cards to play on the one hand or making it available but being able to play rumour cards (or more rumour cards, at least)

My motivation would be more simpleminded: new cards to play! Play ALL the new cards!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel O'Connell
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Interociter wrote:

My motivation would be more simpleminded: new cards to play! Play ALL the new cards!!!

LOL! I think that'll be all the motivation I would need at first. But on subsequent playthroughs I'd need to feel that it was an advantageous play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hankroyd wrote:

What I like :
Quests that don't advance Act I & II, making the game longer. A good thing for a campaign.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure if this is true or not. Playing one of the Act I quest rumours will add a new quest to the list of those that players may choose from during Act I. However, it was not explicitly stated that choosing this quest will not count as one of the three the party plays before the Interlude kicks in. (Or if it was stated, I missed it.)

It may yet be true that playing this quest does not count as one of the three, but that would need to be in the rules somewhere as I didn't see it in the preview.

Hankroyd wrote:

But what I dislike :
There will be be more than one possible scenario for the act I rumors ? Apparently all rumor cards lead to the same Act I dungeon ... Lame.

As others have said, the fact that you can only play one of the three Act I quest rumours does not mean that all three lead to the same map.

Hankroyd wrote:

This sucks big time, leading to quests that will be never played because the Overlord is afraid.

Assuming this is true (and others have made some very valid points to the contrary), this would strike me as one more reason to rotate who plays OL in your group. The game is ten times better that way IMHO, this would just be one more reason to do it - maybe someone else as OL will be willing to play the "scary" rumour quest that the first OL won't.

Besides, if I'm right about rumour quests still counting towards the limit of 3 quests per Act, the OL might WANT to play a rumour quest that favours the heroes in order to try and tempt them away from one of the standard quests they might otherwise pick without hesitation.

If the reward for that rumour quest is just gold, and getting them to pick that one fills out their 3 quests to end the Act before they can pick a standard quest that gives them an artifact, for example, then the OL is still coming out ahead even if he loses the rumour.

Lose the battle, win the war. Incidentally, this is exactly the sort of thing I have always loved about Descent. In 1E I would spawn hell hounds whenever I could (and always in the most inconvenient spot) because I knew the hero players in our group were terrified of them (why, I don't know.) They would go out of their way to kill the "scary dogs" even if it made no tactical sense for the quest they were playing, because having those hell hounds on the map made them nervous. Made it much easier for me to whittle them down with monsters that were actually effective. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The preview article was updated to clarify that rumour quests do not count against the ones chosen as part of the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.