Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I've had the pleasure of playing my friend's copy of the core set a few times. I was hooked, and about two weeks back I won a GeekBay auction that consisted of the following:

2x Core Set
3x A Journey to Rhosgobel
1x The Conflict at Carrock
1x Foundations of Stone
1x Khazad Dum
1x Return to Mirkwood
1x Shadow and Flame
1x The Dead Marshes
1x The Hills of Emyn Muil
1x The Hobbit: Under Hill and over hill
1x The hunt for gollum
1x The Massing at Osgilliath
1x The Redhorn Gate
1x Road to Rivendell
1x The Long Dark
1x The Watcher in the Water

So I am of course excited to jump in, but given that all the cards came in a core set box with no dividers, I don't have a very efficient way to sort everything yet.

Should I go about sorting based on the little icons on the bottom of the card? Should I try and pick out the cards from the core set, do some deckbuilding, and tackle the core scenarios? I feel like I need some direction here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few posts around here what people did for storage.

There are dividers posted in the files section, which can be printed on heavier cardstock (or laminated) to sort the cards.

In general, I would sort the player cards by color (sphere) and type (hero, ally, attachment, event), and the encounter cards by sets.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Make sure to separate the encounter cards from Journey to Rhosgobel. You don't want three times the normal ammount when you play that scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort the cards with the eye on the back based on the icons and put all the rules sheets together so that they are in one place. Head over to the FFG website and download the latest FAQ together with the updated scoring sheet. Put all the objective cards together for now.

Next sort the cards with the ring on the back into their 4 spheres as shown in the main rules. This makes initial deck building easier and if you like go further splitting the allies in each sphere from the other cards. Keep the heroes in a separate "combined spheres" pile as you need to select these for each game.

Now you're ready to set up a scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Whittaker
United States
Andrews AFB
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort my player cards by cycle symbol in numerical order. I keep them in a binder and I find it easier to keep them organized. Some sites that have submitted deck lists refer to cards you might not remember off the top of your head, but they usually have the card number so you can easily find it. The lame part of keeping the cards stored this way is that you have to ditch the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For starters, you can take the insert in one of the core sets and invert the folds on it, giving you two troughs on either side instead of one down the middle. If your cards are unsleeved, this should give you lots of room. You can also grab a set of dividers I made here, and you'll end up with something like this:

If you happen to sleeve your cards, you'll run out of room with all those Adventure Packs. You might need to use both core boxes or some other storage container at that point.

As far as deckbuilding goes, head on over to cardgamedb.com (or the strategy section of this forum), and you should find plenty of submitted decks. Pick a couple based just on what Heroes or Spheres appeal to you and play around with them. You'll eventually become familiar with the various cards, and how they can work together.

If you really want to go more in depth, I'd recommend checking out the Cardboard of the Rings podcast. Each episode clocks in around 1-2 hours, so it can be a little daunting to jump into. But each episode typically dives into an Adventure Pack, talking about each card, how useful they think it is, and how it combines with everything else. Before you know it, you'll be able to recite cards from memory, and know how to best utilize them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not good with crafts (like me) and you're broke (like me), you can do what I do. I don't have any pictures but I can take some if you want.

Go to your local hobby store and get one or two of the larger card boxes (they are very cheap; about $1-3 each). Then, get a stack of index cards and fold them over each encounter set, writing the name of the encounter set on the side of the index card. Then, when you place each set in the card boxes, they'll show the name of the set on the outside, facing you.

It occurs to me that I'm bad at explaining this, so if you're confused, let me know and I'll take a picture. It's not nearly as pretty as GeckoTH's dividers (or any other dividers for that matter), but it works, and it takes about ten minutes. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoff Lag
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really start playing, i would recommend this :

* open the 2 core sets. Sort the cards ring / eye.
* play the first scenario with the following 3 decks : Spirit, Leadership, Lore - in each time inserting 3 Gandalf
* deckbuild 2 decks while following advices here and there
* play the 2nd scenario fromthe Core set
* once succeeded, play the first scenario from the first Adventure Pack released you have (i haven't checked which one you have)
* you may have added the new ring cards and hero from this AP to your decks
* once succeeded, open the next AP, deckbuild, play the scenario.
* rince and repeat

Eventually you will have discovered the whole story while playing the game with no overpowered cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoff beat me to the punch, this is exactly the advice I would give.

I'd be less concerned about overpowered cards and more concerned about overwhelming choices when learning the game and deckbuilding though. The step method is one I have found to learn the game in the same progression as everyone else did that have been playing since it's inception.

As you play the game from Core to "Hobbit part 1", you will gain a better appreciation for how strategy in this game has evolved and some synergies and card usage you might otherwise miss. It's a lot of fun and I sincerely believe it makes you a better player and deckbuilder.

[edit] - as for storage, someone above hit the nail on the head. What I have found has worked out best for me is to go to any game store and ask for foldout cardboard cardholders. They are not pretty, but are cheap, readily available, and great for organizing cards and protecting them if you travel with them. They usually come in variations of 100 card, 200, 400, and greater.

I use the following:
- two 100 card boxes: One for my current deck and one for the current scenario I'm playing

- five 200 card boxes: 1 for each sphere for all player cards (ring on back) plus 1 for heroes/neutral cards.

- three 400 card boxes: 1 for Core/Mirkwood Cycle chapter encounter cards (quest cards and ones with eye on the back), 1 for Khazad Dum/Dwarrodelf Cycle hapter encounter and quest cards. 1 for The Hobbit 1, Massing at Osgiliath and Battle for Laketown print on Demand decks (should you decide to get them)

I wish somebody had told me this when I first started. It makes for a very cheap, modular and effective system that protects your cards and makes it easy to assemble player decks, assemple scenarios, or grab and go play away from home. (I carry all my boxes in a duffle bag).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
For starters, you can take the insert in one of the core sets and invert the folds on it, giving you two troughs on either side instead of one down the middle.

This, for me, is the step right after "take everything out of the box" when I buy a new FFG box.

FFG, please PLEASE take a page from AEG when it comes to packaging for your card games. Even Bandai is doing it that way, now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.