Subject: Why change the graphics ????????? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
I've been given the version of Love Letter published by AEG. The game is great, but the graphics are as bland as can be, while the original ones, from all the pictures I've seen here, were great. I really can't understand for what reason one would want to replace such original and charming graphics, and to replace them by something not really bad, but totally uninspired.
Anyway, does anyone know if there's still a way to get the English language version with the original graphics ? Or if there's a chance that the AEG version will be remade with them once the first print run is sold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They changed the art to betters unit their ongoing Tenpest storyline. The English Japanese edition is going to get harder to find. AEG allowed Japon brand to sell it at Essen. But the English version is theirs now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I'm sure the Japanese publisher has copies. They had a huge stack at Essen. It's dual language.

Our group at Essen was split with some people preferring the old or new graphics. However, I think the 12+ rule in the original game is much more interesting than AEG's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
I've been given the version of Love Letter published by AEG. The game is great, but the graphics are as bland as can be, while the original ones, from all the pictures I've seen here, were great. I really can't understand for what reason one would want to replace such original and charming graphics, and to replace them by something not really bad, but totally uninspired.

can you post some pictures so we can see for ourselves how the graphics etc... have changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
faidutti wrote:

can you post some pictures so we can see for ourselves how the graphics etc... have changed?

There are plenty of pictures in the gallery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People have different tastes. For as many people that liked the original graphics, there will be just as many if not more that like the new graphics. AEG thought the new graphics were an improvement.

Personally, I think the AEG ones look way better and more professional. The original graphics look like they're from a print and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
People have different tastes. For as many people that liked the original graphics, there will be just as many if not more that like the new graphics. AEG thought the new graphics were an improvement.

Personally, I think the AEG ones look way better and more professional. The original graphics look like they're from a print and play.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the store in Japan that sells Japon brand games to foreign buyers is sold out of Love Letter copies. Maybe Japon will reprint more if AEG will let them? Or maybe the store has some in stock and is only sold out online? Who knows. Glad I picked up a copy at Essen while I had the chance.

http://japonbrand.ocnk.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with you. Love the original graphics, the new looks... generic and mundane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
Anyway, does anyone know if there's still a way to get the English language version with the original graphics ? Or if there's a chance that the AEG version will be remade with them once the first print run is sold?

Hi Bruno, on another thread in the LL forum they (Simon Lundstrom, the english translator from Sweden) definitely said there will be no more English versions of the Japon Brand release. It was only produced for Essen and there were only 200 copies made. Read it here.

The rest and from now on will only be Japanese, but the rules are pretty simple so you only need a cheat sheet until everyone knows what each character's actions are, if you buy the Japanese language one.

Or you could just add yourself to this thread like me.

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
They changed the art to betters unit their ongoing Tenpest storyline.

To elaborate on this, for those unfamiliar with Tempest, it's an interesting and innovative "shared world" concept between different distinct stand-alone boardgames:

http://www.alderac.com/tempest/about/

And, personally, I prefer the AEG/Tempst art, but, to each their own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kangyu Chia
Singapore
Varsity Park Condominium
flag msg tools
badge
Ouch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elltrain wrote:
Our group at Essen was split with some people preferring the old or new graphics. However, I think the 12+ rule in the original game is much more interesting than AEG's.

Completely agree here. No idea why AEG decided to change the minister/countess' 12+ rule. I felt like it created a lot more tension and elements of risk calculation.

On topic though, I do prefer the Japon Brand graphics, just like that in Chronicle and R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
JohnnyDollar wrote:
tofarley wrote:
They changed the art to betters unit their ongoing Tenpest storyline.

To elaborate on this, for those unfamiliar with Tempest, it's an interesting and innovative "shared world" concept between different distinct stand-alone boardgames:

http://www.alderac.com/tempest/about/

And, personally, I prefer the AEG/Tempst art, but, to each their own!

I don't really see the point in creating a specific and consistent Renaissance-like world for boardgames when there are already many similar in history and literature, for which the players already have, or can easily find, all the necessary references.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I do like the Japanese illustrations better, but they should've left the roman typeface integration to a pro. Style doesn't fit and it's badly typeset (bad margins, bad typeface, bad kerning, etc.) A shame really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cky88 wrote:
Completely agree here. No idea why AEG decided to change the minister/countess' 12+ rule.

I posted about it a couple weeks ago.

http://www.alderac.com/tempest/2012/10/30/love-letter-japon-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:

Ooh, I'd missed that, thanks.

I totally understand your reasoning for the change, but I would dispute the 7-point card in the first round of the game being "definitively not fun". It has been a lot of fun for my group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
They changed the art to betters unit their ongoing Tenpest storyline. The English Japanese edition is going to get harder to find. AEG allowed Japon brand to sell it at Essen. But the English version is theirs now.

Wow. I sound illiterate. That's what I get for typing on my phone at BGG.CON. You all know what I was trying to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

I like my princess with glasses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Wichita
Kansas
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the glasses princess a promo item? I really hope she comes with all future Japon Brand copies (I don't even care if it's in English), because she looks like my girlfriend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original artist Noboru Sugiura collaborated with Seiji Kanai on a number of games. Her(?) art is some of the most distinct and stylish in boardgaming.

Although the Japanese Love Letter appears much less detailed (almost preliminary) there are few western artists at Noboru's level. However, it's still surprising a big outfit like AEG couldn't produce something really nice. The banner ads for the Tempest world feature some rosy cheeked blonde maiden which doesn't appear on any box cover or game art--she might have made a more attractive princess/countess than the Taylor Swift-look alike that shows up in AEG's Love Letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

When I saw the older cards in the gallery, I thought, "ugh... that's what the game looks like?", and then when I saw the newer AEG version, I was relieved... "Those other pictures must have been the prototype."

I guess I can understand liking the older version because it's a more unique (erg... something can either be unique or not, there's no such thing as "more unique") more unusual art style, and you may like that style. For me, Chronicle looks like Chronicle, and it looks great... for some reason I don't find it as jarring on those cards, possibly because there's more color and the typeface isn't as terrible. Love Letter doesn't also have to look like Chronicle. I'll definitely be looking to buy the AEG version (although it sounds like I wouldn't have much choice anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree the original art is cool, the new art has something the old doesn't have.

Michael York IS the Prince!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:

FYI you are in luck :

Quote:
AEG will release "a limited edition of the original Love Letter from Japan, featuring the original art by Noboru Sugiura", with this release coming in 2013.

New Game Round-up: Alderac Welcomes Cheaty Mages, Love Letter Inspires Lost Legacy & White Moon Returns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
I don't really see the point in creating a specific and consistent Renaissance-like world for boardgames when there are already many similar in history and literature, for which the players already have, or can easily find, all the necessary references.

According to what I've heard, it's an effective way to streamline a series of games in terms of art style and backdrop story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.