Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since reading this Keyflower review earlier today, I've been contemplating the writer's comments that they found the requirement to have same coloured keyples for production and bidding to be somewhat un-thematic.

Personally I found this mechanic so interesting and so essential to the gameplay that I hadn't stopped to contemplate the thematic justification, but having seen it raised as an issue I was determined to come up with some sort of thematic explantion. This is my best attempt so far:

The different colours represent keyples that have come from different regions each with a strong accent and very different dialects - in fact those from one area can barely understand a word from those from a different area - they're the Key equivalent of the English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh.

During the long journey over the Key Ocean there were a few near misses caused by huge breakdowns in communication, and it was clear that something needed to be done. Though they all got along just fine, and were very happy to share accommodation it was decided that in the short term it was perhaps better that they didn't try and work together.

They came to an agreement that whatever type of keyple turned up to work somewhere for the day, they'd then stick to just that type for that day. Otherwise, they pointed out, if a red keyple turned up to work at a mine and asked a green keyple to pass a pick axe he'd probably spend more time miming than mining!

After just one season in the new land, some villages had worked hard at teaching their keyples all the different dialects, in fact some (those with boats 4a and 4b) were deemed to be sufficiently fluent in all the key terms that they were allowed to form mixed work parties!

Well that's my attempt, but I'd love to hear some other ideas to explain what's going on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[maˈtiːas]
Germany
Elzach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Personally I found this mechanic so interesting and so essential to the gameplay [...]
Exactly!

It's called Keyflower not Rainbow Warrior. So no mixed parties

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
you had thought different dialects, while I thought different types of workers in a town. I guess I never really over thought it.

It could be folks from different clans / races that would coexist but not choose to really 'associate' with one another. The green keyples being of the 'mixed' variety.

This bidding concept was so much easier in key harvest with different goods in stores!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lengthtoavoid wrote:

It could be folks from different clans / races that would coexist but not choose to really 'associate' with one another. The green keyples being of the 'mixed' variety.

I did contemplate this but they need to be willing to share a home (mine are forced to get pretty intimate with each other by the end of the game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see this working to some degree. Good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
entwife wrote:
The different colours represent keyples that have come from different regions each with a strong accent and very different dialects - in fact those from one area can barely understand a word from those from a different area - they're the Key equivalent of the English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh.
Dear Entwife. Your explanation has been tremendously helpful to us, thank you. Unfortunately, we have been troubled by another bothersome issue, and we would be awfully grateful if could similarly provide some enlightenment on the matter.

It concerns the instances when I might send (say) a Scotsman off to my wife’s village to learn a skill. Although the skill is duly acquired, it comes home in a nebulous sort of way, somehow disconnected from its wielder. Worse still, I soon discover that this particular Scotsmen now works for my wife. Please help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
entwife wrote:
Dear Entwife. Your explanation has been tremendously helpful to us, thank you. Unfortunately, we have been troubled by another bothersome issue, and we would be awfully grateful if could similarly provide some enlightenment on the matter.

It concerns the instances when I might send (say) a Scotsman off to my wife’s village to learn a skill. Although the skill is duly acquired, it comes home in a nebulous sort of way, somehow disconnected from its wielder. Worse still, I soon discover that this particular Scotsmen now works for my wife. Please help!

Dear Highland Cow,

Thank you for your enquiry. I must admit that my knowledge of Keyple matters is somewhat hazy; rumours of what is going on in their new land have filtered back to me, but I would hate to set myself as some sort of Keyple correspondent. Never the less I may have information that can help in the areas over which you have expressed confusion.

It is my understanding that the boats heading over the Key Ocean have contained, as well as the normal Keyples, some itinerant craftsmen. I don't know which land these workers originally hale from, but it is clear that they are fantastic blacksmiths, carpenters, and stone masons. These craftsmen have been very happy to share accommodation with the other keyples and in fact choose to partake of their generosity for as long as it's offered, but upon being expected to carry out any work they then decide to leave immediately - presumably to look for free board and lodgings elsewhere.

As well as arriving by boat, these itinerant workers can also be found freshly trained at the apprentice hall - villages merely need to send one of their keyples there to recruit one.

Having obtained one of these workers, you can then make use of their skills in many different ways: send a blacksmith with a keyple (or several) to the smelters and they'll work together to produce three iron ingots, send a blacksmith to the key mine and he'll help you upgrade it to produce a lot more iron. Sadly, I've heard, that if you send a keyple and one of your itinerant workers to the Brewer, the itinerant worker drinks so much that they lose all their skills - although they tell such good tales of life in your village that they manage to recruit extra keyples to come back to your village. Finally you can take one of these workers to the hiring fair, and swap them for others at a very favourable exchange rate!

As I mentioned earlier the one downside to these workers is that as soon as you actually ask them to do any work they disappear off, never to be heard of again - a practise that sounds strangely familiar.

I was sorry to hear of your loss of workers to your wife's village. I have heard that Keyples are exceptionally lazy, and having walked to one village for a job it seems to make better sense to them to just stay put than to head back home; after all one cosy fire surrounded by keyples is pretty much like another. I imagine that what happened to your blue keyple is that he dutifully headed off to the Apprentice Hall in another village, and having recruited one of the itinerant workers, and pointed him in the direction of your village, he decided to stay put.

I hope this puts your mind to rest on this matter.

Entwife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
This is indeed a weight off my mind, and for this, I shall be forever grateful. Your modesty belies your wisdom on all matters Keyple; you most assuredly are their correspondent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this post is very old but let me elaborate on the below point from my own view point

lengthtoavoid wrote:
The green keyples being of the 'mixed' variety.

The Green meeples aren't mixed or special but represent native clans and workers which is why they don't arrive on the boats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.