Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Share Your Falcon Builds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: X-wing [+] [View All]
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we know what's going to be in the Falcon set, I'm sure some of us have begun tinkering with some Falcon squads. One thing I've found is that it's really hard to fit the Falcon into a 100pt "tourney" squad.

Here's my best attempt:

REBELS (100pts)
Lando Calrissian (44)
-Nien Numb (1)
-Draw Their Fire (1)
Garven Dreis (26)
Biggs Darklighter (25)
-R2-F2 (3)

The basic idea would be for Biggs to move and perform R2-F2's action. When Lando moves with a Green Maneuver (and Numb helps him out a lot here), he then lets Biggs perform the Focus Action. Garven performs Focus every turn, and when he attacks he always spends it to pass to Biggs so that Biggs will have a second Focus token for any attacks from the non-unique (low pilot skill) opponents.

This gives Biggs 3 Agility and 2 Focus tokens every turn, which should help keep him in in tact for awhile. As an added bonus, every time damage would get through on Biggs and there's a crit, Lando can use Draw Their Fire to absorb the critical into the "Falcon's" shields. [I thought about upgrading the YT-1300 to the Falcon so that it can Evade, but I'm pretty sure even if the Falcon had an EVADE token it wouldn't be able to spend it with Draw Their Fire, since EVADE tokens can only be spent by the target during combat.] So basically, the opponent will be making a lot of suboptimal attacks every turn and the Falcon is kept relatively safe despite it's flimsy one agility.

It's certainly a defensively resilient squad, but it has some big problems:
(1) damage output potential is severely lacking. I think it's only chance would be to destroy more points of ships before time is called. One could drop Garven for a Rookie or Gold w/ Ion Cannon and some additional damage boosting upgrades (Weapons Manager, Missile/Torp) or additional defense (Chewbacca to assist with Draw Their Fire).
(2) protecting the Falcon with Biggs may be hard, since the Falcon's base is so big. This remains to be see in some actual play testing if the Falcon's huge size makes it hard to keep safe under Biggs' ability.

Thoughts? Other Falcon builds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Saldanha
Portugal
Loures
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smugler
+Shield Up

Smugler
+Engineer

Wedge
+Shield Up
+R2-D2
+Swarm Tactics

2 Falcon punches, one being a Tank and other capable of deploying 'Locks with Skill 9 from Tactics, Wedge flying around dealing damage and stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chewie+Luke+Weapons Engineer+Draw Their Fire+Falcon Title card. (54)
2x Rookie pilots, one with Shield Upgrade. (46)

The falcon circles the outside, and the x-Wings drive tie's out of asteroid fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100 points

Lando (55)
-Nien Nunb
-Weapons Engineer
-Millenium Falcon
-Elusiveness
-Cluster Missiles

Rookie Pilot (23)
-R5-K6

Rookie Pilot (22)
-R5 astromech

Lando lets the rookies continually target lock or focus if they have already have a lock, which helps the damage output. He's also carrying clusters and can maintain multiple locks himself, so if a TIE drifts in the firing arc he's toast. I think clusters are important because the TIEs will be dogfighting close in. Lando's defensive options paired with Nien's ability keep the big points alive longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
I am convinced that come wave 2, I will be making 105 pts standard for my games. It allows so many more options. And while it still may help rebels more than imperials, they are benefit too with Toe interceptors and such (I am hoping hard base Tie Ints are at least 18 pts.)

With 105 pts you could do something like:

Han Solo - 46 pts
Millenium Falcon - 1
Draw their Fire - 1
Wedge Antilles - 29
Biggs Darklighter - 25
R2F2 - 3
105 pts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwolf wrote:
I am convinced that come wave 2, I will be making 105 pts standard for my games. It allows so many more options. And while it still may help rebels more than imperials, they are benefit too with Toe interceptors and such (I am hoping hard base Tie Ints are at least 18 pts.)

With 105 pts you could do something like:

Han Solo - 46 pts
Millenium Falcon - 1
Draw their Fire - 1
Wedge Antilles - 29
Biggs Darklighter - 25
R2F2 - 3
105 pts

Is that how formats work? Do whatever you like, but I don't think the outside world will be following along and sticking with 100.

Base Interceptors are 19 pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, Interceptors do seem to be 19pts for a Pilot Skill 1 generic. And I fully expect them to dominate the field at that price.

But, back to the Falcon, curious why you (or anyone else) would use Han Solo? He doesn't seem nearly as good as Lando or Chewie, and he costs more points.

His ability conflicts with Target Lock (one of two Actions the YT-1300 can actually perform and something the Weapons Engineer makes pretty good) since it can't stack [no die can be re-rolled more than once]. Furthermore, his ability is worse than a "free" Target Lock because it requires you to re-roll all dice that you can (ie, even the hits). So unless you throw three misses, you're re-rolling already successful hits when you use his ability.

Unless I'm missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Bessette
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chewie - YT-1300 (42)
Millenium Falcon (1)
Nein Nunb (1)
Marksmanship (3)
Assault Missle (5)
Total 52

Gold Squadron Y-Wings (18)
Ion Cannon (5)
R5-D8 Astromech (3)
Total 26

Rookie X-wing Pilot (21)
R2 Astromech (1)
Total 22

52 + 26 + 22 = 100

Or go for glory and sub the X-wing for a second Gold Y-wing with an Ion cannon and change the astromech's to basic R2's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Kua
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

But, back to the Falcon, curious why you (or anyone else) would use Han Solo? He doesn't seem nearly as good as Lando or Chewie, and he costs more points.

His ability conflicts with Target Lock (one of two Actions the YT-1300 can actually perform and something the Weapons Engineer makes pretty good) since it can't stack [no die can be re-rolled more than once]. Furthermore, his ability is worse than a "free" Target Lock because it requires you to re-roll all dice that you can (ie, even the hits). So unless you throw three misses, you're re-rolling already successful hits when you use his ability.

Unless I'm missing something?

Hmmm, in one of my games, I rolled four attack dice for 3 Blanks and a Focus. yuk

“No matter”, I thought to myself, “I have a TARGET LOCK!

DUM DUM DUM! Then I got 3 Focus and 1 Blank!blush

I can imagine Han’s ability coming in useful then, having a reroll and a focus token on hand…

Maybe consider it a slightly weaker Target lock that doesn’t require an action, and still allows you to pack a Focus token in the same round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
But, back to the Falcon, curious why you (or anyone else) would use Han Solo?

WTF?

He's HAN SOLO.

HAN M*%&$#F%$^&* SOLO.

That alone is worth at least 5 points.

Sometimes, playing for the easier win is the way to suck the fun right out of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
I really don't think Han is that bad, however his ability is underwhelming compared to the abilities of the other skill 9 pilots, and Lando's ability is probably better, tho Lando's ability is restricting.

Han is the only pilot that get more firepower out of your falcon. What I like about his ability is that it is a free way to recover from a bad roll. If you roll only 1 hit, or 2+ blanks if you also have focus, chances are you will trade for a better result. That being said, Lando and Chewie will likely make it onto the table more often in 100 pt builds since you need every point you can get.

Using an A-wing gives you some wiggle room for builds

Lando - 44
Nein Numb - 1
Draw their Fire - 1
Wedge - 29
Arryl Crynd (pilot=6) - 22?
3 extra points.

Its hard to speculate without knowing exactly the abilities and exact costing on the a-wing, but if he has a supporting ability like the other pilot 6 rebel pilots, it may work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

HAN M*%&$#F%$^&* SOLO.

Han "Millenium Falcon" Solo?

I agree with you though. Sometimes you screw the munchkin min-maxing and just play with the coolest pilot in the galaxy, regardless of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

HAN M*%&$#F%$^&* SOLO.

I agree with you though. Sometimes you screw the munchkin min-maxing and just play with the coolest pilot in the galaxy, regardless of the rules.
Plus, in any firefight, Han shoots first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
LazyJ wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

HAN M*%&$#F%$^&* SOLO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - Millennium Falcon Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Kua
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
LazyJ wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

HAN M*%&$#F%$^&* SOLO.

Plus, in any firefight, Han shoots first.

They should have that as part of his ability. I don’t care if they have Darth stinking Vader on the other side, Han ALWAYS shoots first.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrutigerSans wrote:

They should have that as part of his ability. I don’t care if they have Darth stinking Vader on the other side, Han ALWAYS shoots first.cool

Not with the "updated" versions. Though, I'd have loved to see that as an ability on Han Solo, that would be a nice touch for the fans.

But I'm sure Lucas wouldn't have approved! LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Not with the "updated" versions. Though, I'd have loved to see that as an ability on Han Solo, that would be a nice touch for the fans.
Maybe we'll get Greedo as a Imerpial pilot anytime in the future? ^.^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody thought about the synergy between the weapons engineer and Dutch?

Something like
Chewbacca in the YT+weapons engineer+draw their fire
Dutch Vander + ion
Garven Dreis

I'd think you could move a ton of target locks and focus actions around with this build

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof - trying to do a thematic build (Han, Chewie, Falcon, Luke, R2) ... not even enough points for a second X-Wing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adorablerocket wrote:
Oof - trying to do a thematic build (Han, Chewie, Falcon, Luke, R2) ... not even enough points for a second X-Wing!

I thought the Falcon can't technically do astro mechs. No astro mech symbol, or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke in the X-wing with R2-D2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:
Luke in the X-wing with R2-D2

Yes...

I wonder if this doesn't point the way to a new kind of tournament or team play. Two versus 2 with 50 or 75 point squads for each player?

Anyhow I ended up flying a crazy powerful target-lock-tastic build:

"Dutch" Vander
Ion Cannon Turret
R5-K6

Red Squadron Pilot 1

Lando Calrissian
Draw Their Fire
Millenium Falcon
Nien Nunb

Lando is practically the Rebellion's Vader!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Edwards
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking:

Lando, with elusiveness, Nien Numb, Weapons Engineer and Assault Missile

plus

Dutch, with R5 D8, 2 proton torpedoes and an Ion Cannon

That leaves 9 points for shield or engine upgrades to taste, or drop R5, and the torpedoes (in any combo) to add another fighter)

Dutch can fly and focus, and then Lando will do a green action, give Dutch an action (bouncing a target lock back to Lando, which multiplies to two target locks because of the weapons engineer), and Lando then focuses. If Lando's attacked, he can take the stress token because he's going to be going green almost all the time anyways (they can race around the edge of the board taking pot shots).

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.