Popular Tags: [View All]
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pete Wells, restaurant critic for The New York Times, recently visited Guy Fieri's new restaurant in Times Square. And he was not happy.

LINK

You should really read the whole article, which was written almost entirely in the form of questions, to get the full effect. But here are a few choice quotes to whet your appetite (pun absolutely intended):

Pete Wells wrote:
Did panic grip your soul as you stared into the whirling hypno wheel of the menu, where adjectives and nouns spin in a crazy vortex?

Did you notice that the menu was an unreliable predictor of what actually came to the table?

Were you struck by how very far from awesome the Awesome Pretzel Chicken Tenders are?

Hey, did you try that blue drink, the one that glows like nuclear waste? The watermelon margarita? Any idea why it tastes like some combination of radiator fluid and formaldehyde?

When you hung that sign by the entrance that says, WELCOME TO FLAVOR TOWN!, were you just messing with our heads?

(W)hen we hear the words Donkey Sauce, which part of the donkey are we supposed to think about?

Is the entire restaurant a very expensive piece of conceptual art? Is the shapeless, structureless baked alaska that droops and slumps and collapses while you eat it, or don’t eat it, supposed to be a representation in sugar and eggs of the experience of going insane?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggie will enjoy some schadenfreude out of this. She hates Fieri.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Guy Fieri is kind of an easy target, especially for a NYT restaurant critic.
Although I had to do a double-take when I read the PB&J was $13.
I guess somebody's gotta pay that Times Square rent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit jealous perhaps???

He is annoying at times, but we have made some good meals after watching his show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a restaurant sucks, the review should say so (as this one does). I don't know whether the reviewer is jealous of Fieri but if you read the comments on the review, it sounds like it was accurate - several people agree the food is terrible, not one person I noticed says "Hey I ate there and it wasn't so bad."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't go to a Guy Fieri restaurant expecting good food because I don't consider him a cook (and I'm surprised others do.) He is good at tasting food and convincing me that I might enjoy tasting it too. I appreciate his show for pointing out hidden gem restaurants that know how to make food (probably better than Guy.) Just because someone's on Food Network doesn't make them a gourmet chef or an accomplished restaurateur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
I wouldn't go to a Guy Fieri restaurant expecting good food because I don't consider him a cook (and I'm surprised others do.) He is good at tasting food and convincing me that I might enjoy tasting it too. I appreciate his show for pointing out hidden gem restaurants that know how to make food (probably better than Guy.) Just because someone's on Food Network doesn't make them a gourmet chef or an accomplished restaurateur.

I ate at one of his restaurants in California, Johnny Garlic's. It was not michelin star worthy cuisine by any means, more like overpriced bar food with a twist. If that was all you were expecting, it was good. Keep in mind this was before he made it "big" - at that point he had not yet been on food network star.

I wonder if the NYT went in expecting something he wasn't getting, or if Guy's NY restaurant really sucks that much worse than his places out west?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Guy Fieri is kind of an easy target, especially for a NYT restaurant critic.
Although I had to do a double-take when I read the PB&J was $13.
I guess somebody's gotta pay that Times Square rent.

I once had a PB&J at a restaurant that was on egg bread, battered and fried and dusted with powdered sugar. I'd pay happily pay $13 for that right now.

It was so melty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The expectation bar is quite higher in NYC than it is in the parts of NorCal not directly in San Fran or San Jose.

But I don't consider Fieri an elite chef. So, I take the review as part Fieri over-reaching himself, part NYC snobbery.

Now, if the reviewer was tearing into a Morimoto restaurant, I'd be paying more attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guy got his gig with his charisma, not his cooking talent. He lives in town, is a nice guy, but his restaurants leave much to be desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know who he was and for the longest time when I saw his mug on magazines I thought he was a former member of some 90's boy band like the Backstreet Boys. He has the look of someone who is trying to recapture their teenage years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the NYT ripping on someone who's not part of their elite culture. Letting him know in no uncertain terms "we don't accept you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reminded of an episode of Iron Chef America where they had two iron chefs competing against each other, one with Rachel Ray and the other with Guy Fieri as their sous chefs.

I really liked Rachel Ray's line at some point in that episode: "I'm a cook, not a chef".

I think that distilled it nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect this reviewer figured trashing a famous television chef was a good way to get some attention for themselves. After all tearing down people who are famous just to do it is a long honored tradition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the picture it doesn't LOOK like a serious restaurant. Does it set itself out to be?

Doesn't sound like "special night out" food at all really. More like bar food / Surf n Turf style for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

Now, if the reviewer was tearing into a Morimoto restaurant, I'd be paying more attention.

Morimoto's place in NY is quite excellent. I have been there several times, including one time with the man himself there. He's rather shy and tries to hide his English but is very exuberant about his food. He reminded me of Hiro Nakamura from Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Morimoto's place in NY is quite excellent. I have been there several times, including one time with the man himself there. He's rather shy and tries to hide his English but is very exuberant about his food. He reminded me of Hiro Nakamura from Heroes.

The one near Chelsea Market? I was a little disappointed. Not bad, but not what I hoped for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

The one near Chelsea Market? I was a little disappointed. Not bad, but not what I hoped for.

Yes. We loved it. The decor is a bit bizarre, but we will go back, I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HamsterOfFury wrote:
From the picture it doesn't LOOK like a serious restaurant. Does it set itself out to be?

Doesn't sound like "special night out" food at all really. More like bar food / Surf n Turf style for sure.

I'm guessing bar food quality but with serious restaurant prices. As they said in the article, someone's got to pay that Times Square rent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

I'm guessing bar food quality but with serious restaurant prices. As they said in the article, someone's got to pay that Times Square rent.

I'll leave that to people who want to brag about eating at a Guy Fieri restaurant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Leezer wrote:
HamsterOfFury wrote:

I'll leave that to people who want to brag about eating at a Guy Fieri restaurant.

Who the heck would that be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good for the reviewer! haha

Letterman Top 10
Top Ten Discontinued Guy Fieri Menu Items

Thursday, November 15, 2012

10. Inappropriately rubbed brisket

9. Sampler of entrees sent back to kitchen

8. Pushed pork

7. Guy's famous grilled shirtsleeve

6. Jumbo shrimp, tattooed and pierced

5. Teriyaki-glazed napkin

4. Seared halibut with intestinal parasite reduction

3. Crust-crusted crust

2. Suspiciously damp toast

1. Duck a l'Ahmadinejad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I really liked Rachel Ray's line at some point in that episode: "I'm a cook, not a chef".

Rachel Ray is the type you want around at 2am when you crawl home and need something to eat. She would feed you drunk/stoned eats while doing shots with ya.

I used to watch bits of her show and think... yup I made that totally wasted one night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tscook wrote:
Guy Fieri is a rich, shameful clown.

Fixed that for you.

Somehow, I think the joke's on us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.