Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an opportunity to get a game today at a very good price. My choices include the following, all of which seem interesting. It's important that the game is playable, and works, with two players. I also prefer games that are not too abstract. What do you suggest I get?

Vinhos
Ninjato
Tournay (I own and enjoy Troyes)
Fortuna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vinhos is great and a solid game. Never heard of Fortuna and am unsure about Tournay.... it's caught my attention.

Having said that, while Vinhos is different and a really good game, it lacks a certain, um, ELEGANCE (yes I used that word) that some of the greats have (including Troyes). That certain tightness if you know what I mean. You definitely can't do everything you want to, like the greats do, but I can't put my finger on what it's lacking. I really like it but it doesn't hit that magical number of 9 for me (maybe 8.5)

Anyhow, if you want a really good meaty game, Vinhos won't steer you wrong. If you want something lighter, up to you. I hear Ninjato is not worth getting outside the theme, it does nothing special or exciting for worker placement that other, better games do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played Vinhos with 2 and enjoyed it, but it is a reasonably heavy game that takes some commitment to learning and playing, both in time and in rules. Once you get going, it makes sense, but I would have both people read the rules and/or watch a video before playing the first time, and set aside about two and a half hours for your first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed. It does have a lot of things to keep in mind, but most of the rules are in the iconography on the board. Read the geeklist here to teach yourself how to play, and use the "how to teach" file when teaching. Also, when teaching, show how you know everything (eg "If I go to this space, I put a renown cube on the region and pay x amount. I know this because there's a picture of a renown cube and the cost is written on the space).

Setting aside a long chunk of time for a first game doesn't bother me because I have to do it for most great games. It shouldn't bother the OP either. Just make sure you know the rules COLD when breaking it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.