Subject: Cooperative scrabble question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff adams
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hi,

My wife and I have started playing cooperative scrabble and really enjoy it. Our score is generally in the 1100+ range. I would like some input on the generally recognized rules, and if in fact the standing "world record" is truly 1251 as cited in Wikipedia under scrabble variants. We play this way:
1. The same as tournament rules other than having one combined score, and bonus squares are counted every time a word is extended, even thought they are covered.
2. No looking at the other players tiles.
3. NO table talk.
4. We also play that the blank may be picked up and replaced by it's designated letter as long as the player uses it on that turn (ecological variant).
5. If there is any question about a words acceptability, we look it up and if it is not a word, the tiles are picked up and it is the other players turn. However, we don't see how to somehow penalize the score for this.
6. Any tiles left after one player goes out are deducted from the total score.

Any other cooperative players out there? I think we can beat the record!

Jeff and Betsie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure about this, but I will guess that replacing blank tiles is not in the standard rules. That's a hugely powerful play, and if my wife and I used it, we'd inflate our scores by a couple hundred points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Scrabble: Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep the reuse of blanks will inflate scores, but nowhere near as much as you inflate by reusing bonus squares even after they've been used in a prior turn. That'll make for sum unsightly scores.

If I understand this correctly, you can put CONDENSE across a triple word score, then throw a "D" on the end on another triple word score and get triple (plus bingo bonus) the first time and on the second work, get 9x the value of CONDENSED. That's...odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
...but nowhere near as much as you inflate by reusing bonus squares even after they've been used in a prior turn...

I think this could double or treble the total if you cooperated fully.

My family played co-op Scrabble reasonably frequently. Certainly bonuses were never re-used, and neither were the blanks recycled. As far as I know, this is the way the record was set too. There is discussion of co-op Scrabble in Stefan Fatsis' Word Freak, which is truly worth reading if you have any interest in Scrabble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff adams
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies, folks.
I think I understand now that the re-use of the blanks tend to inflate the scores considerably, but we like it as a fun twist. Re-counting bonus squares even when they are covered is the fun part of cooperative, as you try to make extendable word roots that can reach extra bonus squares...triple-triples and triple-doubles are somewhat common and extra effort is made to use high score tiles on triple letter squares.
It's just as much of a challenge to give high-scoring opportunities to your playing partner as to block them as you do in competitive play.
It would be great to have clear Lucite tiles so you can keep track of all the hidden bonus squares!

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.